Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D efficiency up after 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will await a final more scientific verdict from wk057 but I have seen no improvement in efficiency with 6.1 in my non scientific driving. My P85+ still is a minimum of 10% more efficient than the 'd' under similar (but not identical) trips.

In a 230 mile round trip in the foothills, same route I often take, 35 degrees outside, in my P85 with 19" Blizzak snows I came in at 311wH/mi for the trip. From what I gather that's about 15% more efficient than a D, which seems completely rational. At 360wH/mi in a D, I would likely not have made it.... I'm on the fence for a new D, but I will be interested in the facts about range after it settles in with 6.1 and all.

Downloading new software update right now that was put out a couple hours ago. 1.5 hour download. Hopefully this is the range update they've been working on. Will report back in a couple hours.

**installation complete**

Nothing with range. Just looks like 6.1 again with a couple tweaks. Added the steering modes back in. Have the option of comfort, standard, or sport.

image.jpg

Last edited:
First road trip in the P85D: from home to Silverthorne Supercharger to Salida, CO to Taos, NM. By driving carefully from Silverthorne to Cottonwood's L2 charger at Wood's High Mountain Distillery in Salida, I managed 252Wh/mi for the 95 miles. It's 1700 feet downhill overall, but given the icy stretches over Fremont Pass and temps between 23° and 32° F., I'd say that's a pretty fair result for the P85D. Evtripplanner.com estimates the leg at 275 Wh/mi, for an S85 on 19" wheels.

Since Salida was a midday stop and there's a winter storm in progress south of Salida (it started snowing as we waited), we charged to 95% before heading out on the 172 mile leg to Taos. Wish us luck!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

First road trip in the P85D: from home to Silverthorne Supercharger to Salida, CO to Taos, NM. By driving carefully from Silverthorne to Cottonwood's L2 charger at Wood's High Mountain Distillery in Salida, I managed 252Wh/mi for the 95 miles. It's 1700 feet downhill overall, but given the icy stretches over Fremont Pass and temps between 23° and 32° F., I'd say that's a pretty fair result for the P85D. Evtripplanner.com estimates the leg at 275 Wh/mi, for an S85 on 19" wheels.

Since Salida was a midday stop and there's a winter storm in progress south of Salida (it started snowing as we waited), we charged to 95% before heading out on the 172 mile leg to Taos. Wish us luck!

Good Luck!

I had 249 Wh-mi at 94.7 mi on that stretch last Tuesday, when it was 60˚ in Salida. I was driving Speed Limit +4 with .113; downhill helps... :cool:

Nice picture of your car in front of Wood's!

There is about 5" on the ground at my place in Pagosa and its snowing about an inch an hour or a little more right now.

I had 249 Wh-mi at 94.7 mi on that stretch last Tuesday, when it was 60˚ in Salida. I was driving Speed Limit +4 with .113; downhill helps...

Can you guys please add your data to the Google doc from the P85D range and highway battery performance - Page 2 thread:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x1e2h_MwAT73QX25hw-FyaYWfBcx5E_OzBdS8Xn0TOo/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Whew! Conditions deteriorated badly south of Alamosa and we limped into Toas carrying a load of ice in the wheel wells. Used 215 Rated miles to go 169 miles, driving 5-15 mph under the speed limits. Only one lane of the road between Tres Piedras and Taos had been plowed, which made passing oncoming traffic an adventure in near-whiteout conditions.

Done.

Looks like I have the lowest Wh/mi on the chart with 249! Down hill, reasonable temps, slower mountain driving, and thin air all help! I sorted by Wh/mi. I hope that is OK...

- - - Updated - - -

Whew! Conditions deteriorated badly south of Alamosa and we limped into Toas carrying a load of ice in the wheel wells. Used 215 Rated miles to go 169 miles, driving 5-15 mph under the speed limits. Only one lane of the road between Tres Piedras and Taos had been plowed, which made passing oncoming traffic an adventure in near-whiteout conditions.

Glad all went well in the end.

Enjoy Taos!!!

Done.

Looks like I have the lowest Wh/mi on the chart with 249! Down hill, reasonable temps, slower mountain driving, and thin air all help! I sorted by Wh/mi. I hope that is OK...

Thanks a lot for adding your data. Hmmm I don't think sorting was a good idea, the average is now somewhere in the middle and the comments seem off... can you please undo the sort you did?

- - - Updated - - -

Also looks like the names don't match the data anymore :confused:

Sorry about that. I think that I fixed it.

I put a sorted copy at P85D Uninterrupted Hwy Trip Data - Sorted - Google Sheets

If anyone knows different from a valid source at Tesla, can you let me know if there is an expected "Motor Sleep Mode" or something like that coming from Tesla for our P85D's per the blog update on the Tesla site? I spoke this week to Jay at the Toronto, Canada Service Centre and was told that there is NOT a range increasing update coming, only the update to increase the Zero to 60 speed. Jay further said that the wh/mi that we are seeing on the P85D's is normal for the "P" models that have new tires etc and are being driven in colder weather. Comments?

... Jay further said that the wh/mi that we are seeing on the P85D's is normal for the "P" models that have new tires etc and are being driven in colder weather. Comments?

Not true! I am afraid that Jay is misinformed...

See Driving Range for the Model S Family | Tesla Motors for the reference to torque sleep in footnote 2 of table 2.

Many others have seen anywhere from 10-20% difference in A/B efficiency.

For one good example, see the video at P85D vs. P85 Efficiency Testing - Page 9 that shows 365 Wh/mi for the P85D vs 313 Wh/mi for the P85 over 56 miles. That is a 16.6% higher energy usage for the P85D. If you correct for the slightly different wheel sizes and miles rolled, it goes up to 16.8%.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone knows different from a valid source at Tesla, can you let me know if there is an expected "Motor Sleep Mode" or something like that coming from Tesla for our P85D's per the blog update on the Tesla site? I spoke this week to Jay at the Toronto, Canada Service Centre and was told that there is NOT a range increasing update coming, only the update to increase the Zero to 60 speed. Jay further said that the wh/mi that we are seeing on the P85D's is normal for the "P" models that have new tires etc and are being driven in colder weather. Comments?

I would tend to believe the blog. Maybe not on timing - but on content. I believe sleep mode is coming. Or it had better be. My current range is rather abysmal.

Posted this in the Firmware 6.1 thread before discovering this one:

Wow, what a difference in efficiency .139 and torque sleep have made with my P85D!

Wife and I were consistently clocking in the high 340s / low 350s Wh/mile on our 60-mile weekday commute with .113.

Today, we achieved 309 Wh/mile with .139 with nothing else being different!! This was in SPORT mode throughout and RANGE MODE ON - those were the settings with .113 too.

A very happy camper now. One thing wife (subjectively) noted is that there's just that infinitesimal but apparently perceptible delay before the power kicks in when the go pedal is punched from various cruising speeds.