Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3 Test Drive Mini-Review (Comparison with 3LR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
Just returned from what was apparently the first P3 test drive at Topanga. Had the chance to make it a thorough one.

Won't attempt to provide a general M3 review -- there are thousands out there -- but merely my impression of the driving difference between LR and P.

Only one word: Ohholymotherofgod!

Acceleration somewhere in between an S 100D and P100D ... with Model 3 handling.

AWD Model 3 handling. No squirrelliness on hard launch and incredibly composed when accelerating aggressively through curves.

Necessary? Lord no. The LR is plenty fast and nimble.

But fun? Like mainlining endorphin. Car goes where you want, when you want ... actually the instant you even think of it.

Regenerative braking definitely stronger.​

Things I didn't notice (although they may have been there):

Rougher ride, even though these were 35-profile tires at 46 psi on 20-inch rims (vs. 45-profile, 40 psi, and 18-inch) on our 3LR.

Loud front motor whine under acceleration.

Wind noise.
Second-generation seats a definite improvement.

And, to my surprise, I liked the white seats ... material somehow seems extra buttery. Not a huge fan of the white dash panel, though.

For folks who like the BMW 3/4, Audi 4/5, combination of performance and refinement, this may very well be the best car ever.

Unless Tesla screws up organizationally or financially, the game is over.

@ForeverFree Congrats and glad you got to drive the P3. Did you get a chance to navigate through the Topanga Canyon curves? How did you like the cornering compared to LR? I'm on the fence between AWD and P3, almost inclined to pull the trigger to P3 but still waiting for someone to post initial driving impressions. Saw your other post too, so are you going with the P3 or still sleeping on it? Also are you saying the ride was smoother than 3LR? Really?

Just returned from what was apparently the first P3 test drive at Topanga. Had the chance to make it a thorough one.

Won't attempt to provide a general M3 review -- there are thousands out there -- but merely my impression of the driving difference between LR and P.

Only one word: Ohholymotherofgod!

Acceleration somewhere in between an S 100D and P100D ... with Model 3 handling.

AWD Model 3 handling. No squirrelliness on hard launch and incredibly composed when accelerating aggressively through curves.

Did you try Track Mode?

Marques Brownlee on Instagram: “Taking @Tesla's brand new car to a track and getting some power slides in. Not a bad day.”

• Informative
Reactions: GaryW
@ForeverFree Congrats and glad you got to drive the P3. Did you get a chance to navigate through the Topanga Canyon curves? How did you like the cornering compared to LR? I'm on the fence between AWD and P3, almost inclined to pull the trigger to P3 but still waiting for someone to post initial driving impressions. Saw your other post too, so are you going with the P3 or still sleeping on it? Also are you saying the ride was smoother than 3LR? Really?

Sleeping on it ... and then picking up my P3 tomorrow afternoon! Today was my last chance to change my mind, and it did anything but.

We actually drove Old Topanga Canyon Road ... far better curves ... far less traffic. Same road that Franz took with Car & Driver last summer.

AWD definitely felt more composed and secure around those curves than RWD. With RWD, traction control has to kick in to prevent slippage. With AWD, the power can keep coming on safely. Same as with the dual-motor versions of Model S.

P has no effect on that. It merely allows higher output from the motors. After driving the P, I could definitely feel how 0-20 has been nerfed in the LR.

Best bang for the buck is the AWD.

Best bang is the P.

And, best road trip range is the RWD LR.

So what is the difference between AWD and P? What does higher output means?
Is the motor bigger? Or is it a software limitation? I am trying to Justify changing my order to the P vs AWD.

As far as any actual hard info- it's entirely software. Same hardware in both cars (other than badge and unlocking the option of a white interior sooner on the P)

The $5000 Performance Upgrade pack is the only place there's any official mention of hardware differences (brakes, 20" wheels, spoiler/pedals, and 0.39" lowered suspension though it's unclear how they do it)

+1

As far as I can tell, it's a software unlock, similar to what Tesla did for a while with battery capacities and what it continues to do with Autopilot.

All a form of market segmentation/price discrimination ... a way to get more from those willing to pay more. The car can deliver two levels of performance; you pay for the one you want.

+1

As far as I can tell, it's a software unlock, similar to what Tesla did for a while with battery capacities and what it continues to do with Autopilot.

All a form of market segmentation/price discrimination ... a way to get more from those willing to pay more. The car can deliver two levels of performance; you pay for the one you want.

What about all that “lot sorted motors” marketing ...wouldn’t that make the P3 motor hardware different?

Reactions: Bluefranky222
+1

Or, for a more direct analogy, it's like how the old Model S 85 and Model S P85 had essentially the same drive unit, just with different firmware.

Reactions: Bluefranky222
I am having such a hard time deciding what do to.
I currently own a RWD vin 65xx very happy with it! No EAP no FSD. Will sell it to get AWD.

I Placed a AWD order with EAP and FSD
I wanted to get dual motor for better handling, slightly faster ACC
62A1462F-1EFB-4A7D-A90E-24ADA8F9B2C4.jpeg
A9B8AC92-2D40-4CCB-8DF8-BC36B481AAB8.jpeg
96A2AB95-279A-47CC-BA84-6427C46E6259.jpeg

. I was hoping for white interior but that is not an option.

Decisions decisions

Tesla has an amazing competitive advantage in being able to put out different levels of performance with software changes.

They can increase cooling for track use by cranking up the fans etc. Car might be a bit louder, but also faster and with better endurance.

The same hard ware can be pushed harder to achieve higher performance.

They did this with computers by "Overclocking" chips. People would crank their computers way up in performance, and offset the heat generated with larger fans and heat sinks to handle the extra heat generated.

They did this with my X75. I took it into the service center where they downloaded software the reduce my 0-60 times from 6.0 to 4.9. Amazing difference but all was done with software. Called it Uncorking.

As they get more and more experience they are making their vehicles better and better!

Reactions: P85_DA
I would not be surprised to see Tesla be able to enhance the Performance models even more in the future as their technology matures.

A good example is the recently announced plan to soon offer a Track Mode with enhanced cooling and reduction of safety stability controls etc. That will enable racers to turn down the stability controls and perhaps early abs to allow faster track times. Then turn them back on for the ride home from the track.

Tesla has so much capability to fine tune their vehicles capabilities that they will constantly offered additional features as they sort them out.

What about all that “lot sorted motors” marketing ...wouldn’t that make the P3 motor hardware different?

Just the opposite.

If it was different actual hardware they'd have nothing to "sort"- the ones with better (different) parts go in Ps.

Since they're sorting that means they start with the same physical drive units for all cars and then just sort the highest scoring ones into the "goes into a P" pile.

And given modern mfg tolerances the actual difference in sorted motors is likely very very small.

Reactions: P85_DA and DR61
Awesome - great news overall. 2 questions:
1. What is the white material that replaces the wood veneer on the dash? Ceramic? Synthetic leather?
2. What is the material on the door inserts?
Thanks

Not technically different, just with fewer imperfections.
Like expensive LCD panels being the same as cheaps ones, but with fewer bad pixels.
And it helps their ability to perform and function correctly. Tesla is still on the hook for warranty. Even if the hardware is identical, putting more power through it is going to increase the warranty risk.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and DR61
A good example is the recently announced plan to soon offer a Track Mode with enhanced cooling and reduction of safety stability controls etc. That will enable racers to turn down the stability controls and perhaps early abs to allow faster track times. Then turn them back on for the ride home from the track.
Where did you get the underlined from?'

The screenshots that I saw are pretty explicit about what they affect, and none of the underlined is referenced at all.

Thanks.

Reactions: chickensworth