Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3 Costa Mesa Delivery - Admirable effort, considering the challenges.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
I finally took delivery of my Model 3 yesterday from the Costa Mesa center. It was about two weeks of trepidation as delivery reports were coming through Marina Del Rey with delivery issues. In my head, I held on to a few of my known truths to keep me optimistic:

*Tesla has taken great care of me and my X for almost two years.
*Anyone I've spoken to on more than a surface level I believe genuinely cared about the cars and the customers.
*Unhappy people make their displeasure known. Happy people enjoy their cars and don't have any motivation to share successes.
*Despite my defenses of Tesla, I was committed to have the option of rejecting the car and reporting such a rejection in honest discourse if this occurred.

My actual delivery was uneventful, so the value I can provide is my personal observations on the logistics involved of delivering over 100 cars in a building that holds about a dozen. I think that will give some perspective and hopefully some relief to those like me who were worried about their deliveries.

Solid Black Performance 3 with white interior and P Option. Aluminum pedals installed. Spoiler and badges incoming.

Delivery walkthrough
0.) Looked at other owners sitting inside their cars with other DS wearing big *sugar* eating grins. :)
1.) Quickly checked the exterior and interior for major problems. Found a surface scratch on hood. Mentioned to DS.
2.) Handed over cashiers check and signed delivery paperwork.
3.) Went over car orientation. Very quick as I have X ownership experience so felt right at home. Only had a quick question on how the AC vents worked. Very cool.
4.) Took a more detailed walk-through on the exterior. Saw a paint chip, and some minor fish eyes in the paint. I left the paint depth sensor at home however. I am observant, I care and I have standards, but there are limits to absurdity that I will go.
5.) Pointed out the concerns to my DS who took the car away so their detail staff can take a look.
6.) I have an appointment later in month to address the minor paint issues.

I now hopped on conference calls observing the anthill of what I anticipated but never saw for myself on what Tesla delivery centers would look like these days.

*Deliveries can number over 100 in a building that handles less than a dozen customers at any one time.
*There is no parking to store or stage cars in advance at all.
*Cars cycle out of the delivery bay (with *sugar* eating grin owners)
*Cars from the offsite storage cycle in. There is no place to keep them stored to keep them in immaculate shape.

This happens all day, every day. A typical car dealership moves 1000 cars per year. Yes, Tesla has less dealerships delivery centers, but can you imagine moving in 10 days, what much larger dealerships move in an ENTIRE YEAR?

Economist look at things not only in absolute terms, but relative terms.

ABSOLUTELY, Tesla can improve. RELATIVELY Tesla is smashing it out of the park.

They are putting the future in your hands today. If someone could have done Tesla better, they would have.

Not many pictures needed, as I mean really.. - who hasn't seen a Model 3? :D

A87ACB56-E8C0-42C1-AEDA-E50C44B29BD9.jpeg
B774E927-AE59-450A-A143-48C5CAD47A5C.jpeg

That’s actually the second location the first one I went to way back in 2012 was smaller ...who would have thought after several years ...great Tesla is pumping cars out !!! Only makes my stock price better ;)....is that wife’s car or yours ? :eek:

:( You an @outie getting P3s ... X forums will be boring ..I may get roadster 2020 refund and get one of these too ..they look fun :oops:

Can I have a good price on your 2014 Model S since it doesn't have third row? :p

Let's be serious, the P3 is nothing to the 2020 Roadster. It would be a 2 year rental for you if you were to go that route just being honest.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
:( You an @outie getting P3s ... X forums will be boring ..I may get roadster 2020 refund and get one of these too ..they look fun :oops:
On the contrary I’ll be hopping between the two forums and start comparing apples and oranges on how the P3D kicks the X ass.

You should get one of these first it will be a while before the roadster arrives. Just get rid of the P3D later. You gotta join the club. You know you are having that itch.

Reactions: MXWing
On the contrary I’ll be hopping between the two forums and start comparing apples and oranges on how the P3D kicks the X ass.

You should get one of these first it will be a while before the roadster arrives. Just get rid of the P3D later. You gotta join the club. You know you are having that itch.

The P3D is going to sit there and look stupid next time we go to the airport with 6 people and 12 pieces of luggage. ;)

But yeah.. the X handles like a UHaul truck compared to the 3.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA

Hmm I don’t think a P3D will beat me anytime soon ..:oops:..I just thought you got one too :D;)...I like the X overall ..I did drive a P3D yesterday in San Diego they are nice cars though !

Congrats! Any plans to wrap or tint?

Thanks!

Evaluating 3 options:

Matte ppf, tint, chrome delete, and black powder coat wheels

Or

Plastidip whole car pink going for a Hello Kitty motif. I’ve never said no to my daughters preferences ever so this might be the first..

Or

Do nothing and put black seat covers and look completely standard RWD sleeper.

Pretty soon solid Black will be free and every other paint color will be a $7500 up charge.
Paint is free after federal tax credit through 2018.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: commasign
Thanks for sharing, that looks great! My AWD will have the same solid black with white interior, though I went with the 18 aeros. Not sure if Im going to keep them stock grey or change them to black. Planning on going the whole chrome delete with ceramic route though not sure about PPF or not.

I left the paint depth sensor at home however.

In preparation for delivery of two Model 3s for my family, I checked the paint depths of three Model 3s and consistently received the following depths on my cheapie $20 Amazon paint meter:

Doors and hood (aluminum): 5-6 mil
All other panels (steel): 1-2 mil

The Model S and X were 5-6 mil throughout. I wonder why paint on steel panels are thinner than paint on aluminum panels?

My plan is to reject delivery if the car has been repainted or if a paint defect requires repaint to correct. I can accept delivery if any paint defects are correctable w/ detailing.

I

My actual delivery was uneventful, so the value I can provide is my personal observations on the logistics involved of delivering over 100 cars in a building that holds about a dozen.

This happens all day, every day. A typical car dealership moves 1000 cars per year. Yes, Tesla has less dealerships delivery centers, but can you imagine moving in 10 days, what much larger dealerships move in an ENTIRE YEAR?

You're saying that the Costa Mesa delivery center delivers 10% of all Teslas produced? I would think with the Bay Area centers, Marina Del Rey and other California delivery centers, maybe CA combined you'd get to 1/3 to 1/2 of all deliveries given Canada and the rest of the US are also getting deliveries. I find it hard to believe that Costa Mesa is delivering 500-600 of the 5,000-6,000 Teslas produced each week.