Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D, 760HP and Performance Tests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are surprised? I would not be at all if the teals lost. It weighs almost 5000lbs and doesn't have a second gear so its rate of acceleration drops off dramatically. And the huracan is awd so it's good at the strip, so we are not using the rwd hellcat that can't put the power down and is really quite slow for how much power it makes.

Unless the teals has FAR more power than the car it's racing and/or the car can't put the power down, it's going to lose and it's going to stay that way if they stick with the current formula. I'm fine with the current formula because it's a luxury sedan, not a sports car, but it weighs a crap tone (which will come down as battery density increases) and does not have a second gear so the power drops off bad. Combine that with the weight and the power to weight ratio gets really bad past about 90 or so and keeps getting worse the faster you go.
Not surprised, but I know it would be a tight race most of the time. Huracan would need a perfect launch in good atmospheric condition to beat the P100DL. Anything less, the win can go to either car.

You are not Kiddin! When my P90DL was brand new my 90% was 241 rated miles! That is an increase of 44 miles!
I was thinking, based upon the % increase of 90 to 100 there would be something like 268 miles of real rated range.
285 is flabbergasting. Well done. Very Impressive.
I will be watching to see how that number degrades over time with the new pack.

When you go from 84 kWh usable to 99-100kWh useable, that's what happens. If a P90D was a P90D, you'd get 288 miles, computed using the computer's self-reported consumption.

Elon said there was no change to the drivetrain, just the battery and wiring harness..

Sure, this was mentioned before. Trying to get my head around it.

P85DL EPA = 253
P90DL EPA = 270 (5kWh increase = 1.07x range of a P85DL)
P100DL EPA = 315 (10kWh increase = 1.17x range of a P90DL)

So a 3.6% improvement over the expected range (based on P85DL > P90DL).

I guess the P90DL EPA is pre-facelift as well, so some of the 3.6% improvement (over the extrapolated range of 304) probably comes from aero improvements - the P90DL isn't exactly inefficent at thermal management.

Sure, this was mentioned before. Trying to get my head around it.

P85DL EPA = 253
P90DL EPA = 270 (5kWh increase = 1.07x range of a P85DL)
P100DL EPA = 315 (10kWh increase = 1.17x range of a P90DL)

So a 3.6% improvement over the expected range (based on P85DL > P90DL).

I guess the P90DL EPA is pre-facelift as well, so some of the 3.6% improvement (over the extrapolated range of 304) probably comes from aero improvements - the P90DL isn't exactly inefficent at thermal management.

This is purely because the available pack energy does not correlate to the badge number... Which is also just the reported pack energy when full. If you take the amount you can actually consume even on a continuous drive, a bunch of energy goes "missing". One can speculate as to whether it's just bad accounting, bad estimation, or just unaccounted consumption.

What vbox? Did I miss it?

If so, was this at a track that is known to be level? Was it on the street? Up hill or downhill? Even a few feet difference in elevation can make a big difference.

So just watched the video. Let's wait until we get a timeslip at actual track first. Even on flat, the vbox will be higher than the trap on the same run by about 1 mph.

Not sure about your analogy. Any highly fuel efficient ICE would *eventually* beat a less efficient ICE too.

My point is just that it is not necessary to point out that the ICE beat the Tesla, since this will always happen. In fact, with the exception of a rapidly dwindling class of ICEs that can beat the Tesla right from the roll-out, you can rank all ICEs after the distance each require to reach the P100DL.

So the question is, how far did the Tesla get before this what-ever-ICE caught up with it?

And no, you are wrong about the ICEs, the very fuel efficient VW Lupo would for example never beat a not-so fuel efficient Audi A8. But both would eventually reach the P100DL.

Last edited:
My point is just that it is not necessary to point out that the ICE beat the Tesla, since this will always happen. In fact, since the P100DL is the fastest in production car on 0-100 km/h, you can rank all in production ICEs after the distance each require to reach the P100DL.

So the question is, how far did the Tesla get before this what-ever-ICE caught up with it?

And no, you are wrong about the ICEs, the very fuel efficient VW Lupo would for example never beat a not-so fuel efficient Audi A8.
As you stated it *eventually* would when the A8 ran out of gas.

• Funny
Reactions: mdevp
As you stated it *eventually* would when the A8 ran out of gas.

Thermodynamics tell us that there is no perpetuum mobile and as such all vehicles, BEV as well as ICE, need to stop to reenergize.

Taking such stops into account, the VW Lupo with its much lower effective speed would never reach the Audi A8, but due to their relatively short refueling times both ICEs would beat a Tesla.

A couple of Germans managed to keep a Tesla at about 100 km/h (for about 24 hours), going back and forth to the same SC.
A VW Lupo can easily sustain about 130km/h (including fuel stops) and would thus eventually beat the Tesla, but an Audi A8 can easily sustain 180km/h (i.e. above the top speed of the Lupo) including fuel stops.

So instead of talking about how such and such a car can beat a Tesla on a randomly chosen distance (such as 1/4 mile), all we need to say, is the distance each ICE needs to reach the Tesla.

Last edited:
Thermodynamics tell us that there is no perpetuum mobile and as such all vehicles, BEV as well as ICE, need to stop to reenergize.

Taking such stops into account, the VW Lupo with its much lower effective speed would never reach the Audi A8, but due to their relatively short refueling times both ICEs would beat a Tesla.

A couple of Germans managed to keep a Tesla at about 100 km/h (for about 24 hours), going back and forth to the same SC.
A VW Lupo can easily sustain about 140km/h (including fuel stops), but an Audi A8 can easily sustain 180km/h (i.e. above the top speed of the Lupo) including fuel stops.
Understood, but we are talking about racing here which has a predefined distance until the finish line. In this case it's a quarter mile so even if the Huracan was passing the P100DL one inch after the finish line it loses.

Yes. Any highway-capable ICE would eventually beat any currently existing Model S (if not before then while (super)charging).

So the question is, how far did the P100DL get before it was passed?
Highway capable in the US means at least 55 mph. If a p100dl goes 82.5 mph for 1.88 hrs it will travel 155 miles and use 80% of its charge. It can supercharge 80% in 30 minutes or less. The ice going 55mph will travel 103 miles in 1.88 hrs. While the p100d is supercharging for 30 mins the slower car will travel another 27.5 miles for a total of 130.5 miles. It will never catch the p100d.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: msnow