Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great review PureAmps, thanks for taking the time to write that up. While think the Model S is quite elegant and the interior is lovely to look at, it seems that there are serious issues that need to be resolved in terms of real-world usability. I sincerely hope that they provide something useful with the Opportunity Console.

On balance though, the Model S is fantastic car.

PureAmps great write-up. I am coming to love he openness of the non-console area.
Mike K sorry to leave you hanging. Typo. Most important was that I could fit my Taylor guitar in the frunk.
Weccman the silver is so sweet with the chrome. No regrets. But sure go Blue "next Tesla"!

Note on cold weather driving: I have been in 10 degree night/15 degree day weather for a few days, Elwood parked outside in the frizen north, and noted that a significant amount if energy is used to keep the battery warm. I think I can safely assume the standard charge while Elwood is plugged in will be 20 miles less (219 standard charge instead of 239) and that a good 40 miles of range gets sucked up in the first 15 miles of driving (surely in part as I have front and rear defrost going and as Regen is suspended until the battery warms). Car will eat even over 500 W-hrs/mile for a while then - rather suddenly - go back to a less thirsty 350 W-hrs/mile. Would welcome other experiences in cold weather.

Last edited:
Note on cold weather driving: I have been in 10 degree night/15 degree day weather for a few days, Elwood parked outside in the frizen north, and noted that a significant amount if energy is used to keep the battery warm. I think I can safely assume the standard charge while Elwood is plugged in will be 20 miles less (219 standard charge instead of 239) and that a good 40 miles of range gets sucked up in the first 15 miles of driving (surely in part as I have front and rear defrost going and as Regen is suspended until the battery warms). Car will eat even over 500 W-hrs/mile for a while then - rather suddenly - go back to a less thirsty 350 W-hrs/mile. Would welcome other experiences in cold weather.

What you have described is perfectly normal for an EV. Don't worry.

Reserved on January 1st and delivered on December 30th, this is a car we've literally been waiting all year for. Of course that's nothing compared to how long some waited – including some who are still waiting. I hope yours comes up soon! Our call came out of the blue at least a month before we expected it, but when they called last Wednesday we jumped on the opportunity to visit the factory for a tour and pick our Model S up before the end of the year.

Sadly, no photos are allowed in the factory. I'll try to write up a bunch from memory at some point, but for now I'll focus on the car itself. At the end of the tour we were led into the delivery room where she was staged against Tesla's signature red and white color scheme:

We Meet at Last.jpg

That's a Pearl White 85kWh model with 19" wheels, the tech package, active air suspension, grey leather, and paint armor. If you were concerned about the disclaimer that the paint armor will be more visible against white? Don't be. I wasn't even sure they had applied it until I felt for the edges. The walkthrough was simple enough since I'd read everything available before picking the car up and already knew the vast majority of what the delivery special was about to say. The only sour note evident was a passenger side mirror that didn't adjust properly. Tesla service will take care of it in relatively short order, I'm sure.

Driving home was everything I remembered from the test drive. Solid, sure handling, with more available power than I'm likely to need. It was much easier to search for and set navigation for a destination than in our Lexus, and noting that the passenger is allowed to do so while the car is moving is a huge plus. The Internet radio is extremely promising and the standard sounds system is passable. Nothing special, perhaps a little full in the midrange and bass is a touch weak and slightly muddy. It's not especially crisp, but it's respectable for an in-car stereo. Bluetooth audio has been a little erratic but my car was delivered with v4.0 firmware so perhaps an eventual update will improve matters. In the meantime, I'm enjoying exploring other options.

The next day I took her on a brief tour of her new home town. We're delighted to be back in Santa Cruz and it's nice to introduce the newest member of our family to the sights:

Lighthouse.jpg

She looks entirely at home in front of our house:

Home Profile.jpg

... and better yet, the air suspension helps her attain enough clearance to make it down the driveway and into her spot in the garage. The NEMA 14-50 outlet installed on Friday is working perfectly, delivering 40 amps at around 237 volts to make quick work of charging:

Garage.jpg

Attachments

• Home Angle.jpg
    Home Angle.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 1,701
By the way, what wood choice did you get with your grey interior? I have grey with the matte Obeche, which I LOVE.

I liked the matte version quite a bit myself, but my wife preferred the gloss by a wide margin so I was happy to indulge her on that front (she's very happy that her wife is willing to compromise to find something we both adore.) It does look wonderful. The contrast between the matte leather and glossy dash is actually kind of nice, though I expect the dash to be a fingerprint magnet.

Good compromise :) I would love to see a photo of how it looks (and I'm sure others would as well). In case you're wondering what grey/matte looks like, I just posted some photos: Photos of the Grey interior with matte Obeche

I liked the matte version quite a bit myself, but my wife preferred the gloss by a wide margin so I was happy to indulge her on that front (she's very happy that her wife is willing to compromise to find something we both adore.) It does look wonderful. The contrast between the matte leather and glossy dash is actually kind of nice, though I expect the dash to be a fingerprint magnet.

Great pics and beautiful home! P.S. You should lower the suspension for the pictures - it looks cooler. :wink::cool:

Thanks! We've only been in the house a few months and are very happy to be back in California. As for the ideal suspension height for photos? Now that you point it out I agree wholeheartedly. The suspension has to be raised to get up and down our driveway and I neglected to lower it again until after these photos were taken. Something to keep in mind for next time!

I would love to see a photo of how it looks (and I'm sure others would as well). In case you're wondering what grey/matte looks like, I just posted some photos: Photos of the Grey interior with matte Obeche

Nice! I would have been perfectly happy either way. I've posted some quick photos of the interior in an existing thread: Grey leather photos.

Road Trip - The First. Heck, two weeks and 1,200 miles. That's a five-year/ 120,000 mile warranty, right? No?

Here are some pics from a frosty week in New Hampshire -

IMG_3555.jpg

Packing up: In the Frunk, pictured here, are a laptop computer, my bag for a week, ski helmet, two coats, drill case and drill bit case, and my Taylor Guitar.

IMG_3612.jpg

On departure from home, in the rear trunk I had eight pair skis, six pair ski boots, seven pair poles, four ski helmets, two clothing bags and whatever else I forgot to mention. Oh - yes - three kids plus me. Me dog and her crate snuck in for the trip back home, swapping the kids into safe passage with my better half. My clothes bag and ski boots and helmets are in the frunk at this point.

Fresh new coat of white paint:
IMG_3560.jpg

All-Weather charging. NEMA 14-50:
IMG_3561.jpg

Indoor Re-Charge. Bacon Cheddar Cheese. A kWh value.
IMG_3600.jpg

Pano Roof - Covered Bridge. Classic Car, Classic New England:
IMG_3602.jpg

Range Anxiety? What Range Anxiety? See New England Deliveries or Winter Driving threads for details:
IMG_3607.jpg

My favorite Model S picture to date (of my pics). You won't see this picture from Nigel, 'cause you can't buy this kind of grit in FLA :biggrin:
Note the frunk is open. And that No parking sign is strictly for ICE Vehicles, I'm sure.

IMG_3611.jpg

Last edited:
Model S 1079-
Great Pics. I really like the Mass. EV plates. Looks like the little green EV is plugged in. I see your registration is through April 2014. Do you guys get new tags every 2 years?
Really refreshing to see an outrageously dirty (salty) car. All of the California/Arizona pics show cars that look like they just got out of the detail shop.:wink:

Thanks - not sure how long the tag is good for.

Gotta hear this:
Went to get the car inspected today. Never happened. Guy was totally confused. Got down on the ground to find the muffler assembly. Got spooked like he'd just discovered a covert CIA project and told me to bring the car somewhere else.

Wait, is this all a covert CIA project?

Thanks for additional pics! Love seeing how much you can fit into the trunk and frunk. (Now if I could get someone to post some annotated pics with dimensions, I'd be really happy!)

Seems your use of the trunk space is popular. Napabill had the same setup for his Lab!