Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner robbed at gunpoint and Model S stolen while supercharging in Barstow...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can the plug be ejected? I do like the idea of a button that pops up to lock doors. WE are in a bit of a pickle if we do get hit up at a charging station. At gas stations you can still drive off and the handle will disconnect. We cant even get our cars into drive.

That would be awesome. One button eject for the supercharging cable, shift into drive, then accelerate out of danger in less than 1 second. The thugs wouldn't even know your "engine" was on.

That would be awesome. One button eject for the supercharging cable, shift into drive, then accelerate out of danger in less than 1 second. The thugs wouldn't even know your "engine" was on.

If it is supposed to be a 'panic' button, maybe it should do a few more things, too - lock the doors at a minimum, and bring up a big button you can hit to call 911 (only a button because you might be using it top avoid a suspicious situation rather than escape a confirmed felony in progress.)

I'd be tempted to have a button for charging the outside soon with battery voltage, too - but I'm sure that's never actually happen even if the car could safely handle it.
Walter

In general, guns are better defending yourself in home invasions (when you have more time and cover), but not so good for armed carjackings.

There is a good change someone would be dead if you reached for a gun, quite possibly you.

I agree. A good self defense class with focus on disarming a gun or knife from an assailant is the best investment in this case if you wanted to fight back. Otherwise its best just to allow them to run off with your valuables / car. At least you have the thing still that's worth the most, your life.

If it is supposed to be a 'panic' button, maybe it should do a few more things, too - lock the doors at a minimum, and bring up a big button you can hit to call 911 (only a button because you might be using it top avoid a suspicious situation rather than escape a confirmed felony in progress.)

I'd be tempted to have a button for charging the outside soon with battery voltage, too - but I'm sure that's never actually happen even if the car could safely handle it.
Walter

I'd like the panic button to electrify the surface of the car. Render the perps unconscious and incapacitated

A feature of "cautious mode" (valet, anti-carjack, call it whatever you want) would be seamlessly integrated into the drive and park scenarios.

Something like this:
- every time you put in park, make it very easy to activate the mode. Looking at the controls available, this could be done in a very slick way.... such as pressing and holding Park for 2 seconds. You are now in cautious mode. By all means, do not make a user type a PIN into the console screen on the parking spot. That can be observed.
- once activated, the car will only behave in a cautious manner (limited power, limited speed, limited distance, limited run time, limited features)
- there is zero visual indication the car is in cautious mode
- in cautious mode there could be expected visual feedback given for all controls, as a placebo.. GPS is off, great! But really there'd be no effect.
- in cautious mode, hitting any of the restricted limits causes the car to emit a beep-beep-beep-beep tone while driving (a cue for legit driver to get it out of cautious mode), if the car doesn't come down from the limits or the cancel sequence is not done in 10 seconds distress signals start going out via internet and limits go into effect.. possibly cutting the drive power to zero if that was a set limit.
- in cautious mode, a user defined sequence is required to resume normal operations. The more secret the better. This could be done (counter-intuitively for a Tesla where everything operates on center console) by pressing steering wheel buttons in a sequence... easy to do, hard to observe, and keeps PINs off the center stack. There should be no visual indication or prompt suggesting cancel sequence needs to be done, at any time.
- and as a final touch, accept two different cancel sequences. One is a real full cancel. The other is used under duress when being threatened, which causes internet panic beacons to immediately flow, and removes some limits or sets them to higher threshold.. removes the beep-beep-beep-beep tone at limit, but does not remove all restrictions (GPS off... continues to be a placebo).

How about that?

Last edited:
A feature of "cautious mode" (valet, anti-carjack, call it whatever you want) would be seamlessly integrated into the drive and park scenarios.

Something like this:
- every time you put in park, make it very easy to activate the mode. Looking at the controls available, this could be done in a very slick way.... such as pressing and holding Park for 2 seconds. You are now in cautious mode. By all means, do not make a user type a PIN into the console screen on the parking spot. That can be observed.
- once activated, the car will only behave in a cautious manner (limited power, limited speed, limited distance, limited run time, limited features)
- in cautious mode there could be expected visual feedback given for all controls, as a placebo.. GPS is off, great! But really there'd be no effect.
- in cautious mode, hitting any of the restricted limits causes the car to emit a beep-beep-beep-beep tone while driving (a cue for legit driver to get it out of cautious mode), if the car doesn't come down from the limits or the cancel sequence is not done in 10 seconds distress signals start going out via internet.
- in cautious mode, a user defined sequence is required to resume normal operations. The more secret the better. This could be done (counter-intuitively for a Tesla where everything operates on center console) by pressing steering wheel buttons in a sequence... easy to do, hard to observe, and keeps PINs off the center stack. There should be no visual indication or prompt suggesting cancel sequence needs to be done, at any time.

How about that?

I like this Idea!! :smile:

Something like this:
- in cautious mode, hitting any of the restricted limits causes the car to emit a beep-beep-beep-beep tone while driving (a cue for legit driver to get it out of cautious mode), if the car doesn't come down from the limits or the cancel sequence is not done in 10 seconds distress signals start going out via internet and limits go into effect.. possibly cutting the drive power to zero if that was a set limit.
- and as a final touch, accept two different cancel sequences. One is a real full cancel. The other is used under duress when being threatened, which causes internet panic beacons to immediately flow, and removes some limits or sets them to higher threshold.. removes the beep-beep-beep-beep tone at limit, but does not remove all restrictions (GPS off... continues to be a placebo).

How about that?

I like that idea, but more importantly I think "Cautious Mode" is a cool name. Submit your idea to Tesla now. :p

The only problem would be jokers who know about it putting it in Cautious Mode. Would have to make sure Tesla owners are made aware of Cautious Mode when they get it. You know people will forget their "pass sequence" but they shouldn't be using that mode a lot.

Lots of people have been caught up in robberies at gas stations which are a better target for thieves. You can have all the lighting, cameras, guns behind the counter, etc. and these crimes will never stop, primarily because of the way our society treats drugs, which is bizarre to say the least. A housewife can take all the Oxycontin she wants, and that's an opioid just like heroin. But, hey, it's legal!

These thugs are obviously involved in drugs. The best thing we can do to prevent these types of crimes is legalize and prescribe all drugs. Clean heroine, cocaine, meth, whatever the druggies want, let them get it at clinic from a doctor who can attempt to direct them into rehab but if not, keep giving them their drugs so they don't rob us, and some could even have day jobs and be productive. It's not like they can't very easily get their drugs now. It's paying for them that's the problem and that's where crime comes into play, as well as with production and distribution. Then we pay taxes for law enforcement and the "war on drugs" (excluding those the pharmaceuticals make money from and kill more people than the illegal ones) and to keep them in for-profit prisons that are overflowing. A certain percentage of the population are drug addicts and that will never change. Most of us here would never do hard drugs and that wouldn't change with legalization. But let's just let those who want them get them and leave the rest of us who are peacefully charging our cars alone.

I'm glad to hear the victim wasn't harmed.

Terrible that this happened, I'm glad the driver is okay. If nearby businesses are open, its probably safer to leave your car locked and charging instead of sitting in it, although I've spent plenty of time sitting in my car while charging, too.

And although it would not prevent what happened to this driver, I have long wanted a very simple feature to avoid another type of carjacking, where someone might ambush you in a parking lot as you are getting into your car: Could we please have an option to have only the driver's door unlock and present handle? I'm usually traveling alone and it has always bothered me that all four handles present when I unlock the car. This should be a simple feature for Tesla to implement. My Chevy Cruze had it. I've put in a feature request but haven't seen any discussion about it. Does anyone else think this would be a good option to have?

Does anyone else think this would be a good option to have?

Yes, I've thought the exact same thing. On my Tahoe one press of the fob unlocks the driver's door only. Two presses unlocks all doors. But as you say there should be an option for the user to define the settings. Aside from safety, it would also be less wear on the three door handles that most often present and retract when not needed.

Yes, I've thought the exact same thing. On my Tahoe one press of the fob unlocks the driver's door only. Two presses unlocks all doors. But as you say there should be an option for the user to define the settings. Aside from safety, it would also be less wear on the three door handles that most often present and retract when not needed.

I'll second, or third, this. I think N maybe. This topic has come around before.

Most every car has one press driver's door, second press all doors. It's done for a reason: the exact case you mention.

Tesla is behind the pack on this one. Not just luxury cars. The pack of all cars with remote entry.

Also, unlocking and offering of handles in parked situations when you'd rather not have them extend.
Just putting the car in Park: C'mon in everyone!!

There's no dedicated simple interior LOCK button either..

QUICK: Who knows the fastest way to lock the car when you're sitting inside parked?

How many people can answer that AND DO IT in ONE SECOND, and be right?

QUICK: Who knows the fastest way to lock the car when you're sitting inside parked?
Controls, lock doors. But it's two steps. Actually, a lot of the time when I exit my car I leave the controls screen up so that it's easy to lock the doors as soon as I get back in and pull my door closed. I just tap the lock button on the controls screen.

I also would like the option of having the door handles *not* present when I put it in park.

Last edited:
Even the Roadster has a door lock switch...located on the door, next to the window switches...you'd think this would be easy enough to do...

I'll second, or third, this. I think N maybe. This topic has come around before.

Most every car has one press driver's door, second press all doors. It's done for a reason: the exact case you mention.

Tesla is behind the pack on this one. Not just luxury cars. The pack of all cars with remote entry.

Also, unlocking and offering of handles in parked situations when you'd rather not have them extend.
Just putting the car in Park: C'mon in everyone!!

There's no dedicated simple interior LOCK button either..

How many people can answer that AND DO IT in ONE SECOND, and be right?

I've charged at Barstow dozens of times and up till now, never had occasion to worry.

My advice if you arrive in the dark:

1. Go to Chili's (open until 1130PM).

2. After 1130PM, go to the Country Inn and Suites (open 24 hours a day). The Lobby is ~300ft from the furthest Supercharger.

They are happy to let Tesla drivers use their restrooms.

Free internet.

And they have surveillance 24 hours/day inside and outside their lobby.