Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner robbed at gunpoint and Model S stolen while supercharging in Barstow...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am suprised armed robbery at Barstow didn't happen earlier, a Tesla owner that is either headed to or coming back from Vegas is a sitting duck late at night, unsuspecting victim without security cameras with high likelihood of cash & electronics to steel makes it a low risk crime.

I charged there Monday night on a trip from Northern California to Tempe, AZ with my daughter. It was earlier in the evening and we dined at Chili's so there were more people around, but I would definitely have felt less comfortable had the restaurant been closed. The chargers are tucked back where they're not visible from the road, iirc.

I've charged here a few times. A couple late at night. Never felt unsafe, but I guess it gets a little dark. This seems like a freak event. I doubt carjackers have the foresight to figure out that Tesla owners might be coming back from Vegas if they were charging here.

I would assume that the thieves demanded the owner give them "the keys" (and his cell phone) and of course he did, then they got in the car, pointed a gun at the owner and told him to unplug it from the charger, figured out how to put it in Drive and drove off. No mystery there.

The fact that they crashed the car at a gas station (according to the news article the OP liked to) tells me they are...idiots.

I do not understand how having valet mode would have helped prevent this car theft though it could be designed to limit the total distance traveled, but it would need to be activated remotely and I bet the thieves stole the owners cell phone as well.

I simply don't understand how they got the car ... if you put the car in D while plugged in, all you get is an error code.

So they asked him or knew enough to remove the cord, close the power door and then drive off?

And presumably they stole his cell phone or he'd know where the car was.

As mentioned in this thread ... TESLA, it's time to FOCUS and deliver the "valet" mode that has been mentioned by Elon 18 months ago! Please!

Last edited:
Tesla should add an auto eject charging cable button that can be pressed from the center counsel so you can get the heck out of there when you see some shady characters walking up to the car. Having to get out and unplug the car could become very dangerous in situations like this. You are pretty much a sitting duck. then again Elon's automatic charging cable would also resolve the issue.

have always always wanted something like this.

Also, did victim have Remote access enabled on his Tesla? Although it doesn't seem to have mattered in this case.

Uh oh,

I've charged there so many times. I really hope some sort of security mechanism is implemented

Hopefully, because thugs are starting to figure out that a Supercharger is a great place to hang out and wait for people with expensive cars to come and sit for 30 minutes at a time.

I kind of wish there was an emergency charger disengage button inside the car, so that you could unplug and drive off without having to get out of your car to unplug first.

Most no-collar thieves are pretty dumb quite frankly... police will tell you... we're not talking about people above the median score of practically anything.

Heck Tesla isn't giving us valet mode, and there's no password protection feature on the GPS locator shut-off control....

So I don't expect anti car jacking features soon.

I really wish a code was required to turn off remote access/GPS locator.

Tesla should add an auto eject charging cable button that can be pressed from the center counsel so you can get the heck out of there when you see some shady characters walking up to the car. Having to get out and unplug the car could become very dangerous in situations like this. You are pretty much a sitting duck. then again Elon's automatic charging cable would also resolve the issue.
i have thought the same thing. Having only owned a Tesla for a month, I have already had this concern. Recently needed to charge at the Country club Hills, Illinois supercharger where there have been some stated concerns in the forum about potential safety issues. As I thought about that, I wish that there were an ability to automatically eject the supercharger plug to be able to drive off in a situation where you felt you were in immediate danger. Otherwise, you're kind of a sitting duck. On a side note, I wish there was an ability to be able to quickly lock the car from the front screen once you get in it versus having to navigate to the controls screen to be able to hit the lock button.

The best solution would be some sort of remote terminal or phone at the charging station that could be used to contact police & Tesla. The owner who's car was just stolen (along with his cell) can immediately call for help. Cameras at the charging stations would also be wonderful. You think that Tesla would already have that, just to prevent nonsense.

You wouldn't want the car to lock the occupants inside. As others have said, they would just trash it trying to get out. At best, you'd end up with a broken window. The ideal solution would be to let the car drive away at a reduced power level (you wouldn't want them in "insane" mode, but maybe limited to 30-45mph), just to get the bad guys a safe distance away (maybe 3-4 miles) before the car disables itself. And of course, take photos & video of the occupants. This sounds like a perfect setup for the valet mode.

How to activate this during a dynamic carjack is something I would have no idea... maybe a button that sends a signal from the charging station to the car that had just been charged. You would want an owner to be able to access it even if his phone had been stolen.

Like this idea!

Also, I think a "Panic button" should pop up on the main screen as soon as the Supercharge session starts...hitting the button would release the cable allowing you to drive off...

The best solution would be some sort of remote terminal or phone at the charging station that could be used to contact police & Tesla. The owner who's car was just stolen (along with his cell) can immediately call for help. Cameras at the charging stations would also be wonderful. You think that Tesla would already have that, just to prevent nonsense.

You wouldn't want the car to lock the occupants inside. As others have said, they would just trash it trying to get out. At best, you'd end up with a broken window. The ideal solution would be to let the car drive away at a reduced power level (you wouldn't want them in "insane" mode, but maybe limited to 30-45mph), just to get the bad guys a safe distance away (maybe 3-4 miles) before the car disables itself. And of course, take photos & video of the occupants. This sounds like a perfect setup for the valet mode.

How to activate this during a dynamic carjack is something I would have no idea... maybe a button that sends a signal from the charging station to the car that had just been charged. You would want an owner to be able to access it even if his phone had been stolen.

Can the plug be ejected? I do like the idea of a button that pops up to lock doors. WE are in a bit of a pickle if we do get hit up at a charging station. At gas stations you can still drive off and the handle will disconnect. We cant even get our cars into drive.

Can the plug be ejected? I do like the idea of a button that pops up to lock doors. WE are in a bit of a pickle if we do get hit up at a charging station. At gas stations you can still drive off and the handle will disconnect. We cant even get our cars into drive.

I've never tried moving the car while it was plugged in (at home or otherwise)... it's a pretty solid mechanical connection, so even if the lock pin is dis-engaged the plug would probably pull the socket from the car before it came loose. Which would be fine with me under these circumstances...

If anything (cable, pedestal, etc) is still attached by the time I got a mile down the road, I'd unhook it there and call SuperCharger support to complain about the missing pedestal.