Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ovo UK - New EV Charge tariff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assume you mean while charging the car? The peak rate is definitely relevant to someone like me who works from home & doesn't do a lot of mileage. My general house usage is a lot more than goes into the car.
Yes - whilst charging the car.
I'm not familiar with Octopus rates but still think the 34p is in the ball park for everything else?
As I've next to nothing to load shift this works out better for me

34p - though it's not really relevant. If you use the app correctly you'll only ever pay the 10p rate no matter what time of day
so... 34p on-peak + 10p off peak. it is just a bit better on the on-peak tariff but worse on the off-peak.

IO is 39p + 7.5 p - if you charge car a bit more - you would want to be on IO. and you most probably will have a bit more than just 6 hours of Off-peak rate tho

adding Solar + batteries soon - so I presume I will be at 7.5 p as my max tariff anyway, with usage for the car charging only

Reactions: AndyWarrington
Yes - whilst charging the car.
I'm not familiar with Octopus rates but still think the 34p is in the ball park for everything else?
As I've next to nothing to load shift this works out better for me
I'm on Octopus Agile, which is variable daily, in 30 minute slots. My overall average cost for the past 28 days has been 23.27p/Kwh, which is a lot less than it would be on any of the other "EV" tariffs at the moment.

Reactions: Doudeau
I'm on Octopus Agile, which is variable daily, in 30 minute slots. My overall average cost for the past 28 days has been 23.27p/Kwh, which is a lot less than it would be on any of the other "EV" tariffs at the moment.
it depends how much you charge I suppose.
I usually have at least 2x 40 kwh charges a week (80 kwh). in 7.5p it is 6.00 gbp
my day-time usage is on average similar to that (roughly 10 kwh a day, 70 kwh a week)
so total is 33.33 gbp a week for 150 kwh. which is 0.22 kwh :/

oh, and my wife also refuses to shift load, so all washing and drying is more or less peak times... :/

what is an on-peak rate?

currently IO is 7.5p so is lower than OVO (10p).. i could not find the on-peak rate..

do I miss something?
ok the peak rate, normal rate when the car isn't charging. IO is going up to 42p, so even though OVO is higher at 10p, I would save money moving to OVO (if peak rate is at 34p) because of my average peak usage (wfh etc)

ok the peak rate, normal rate when the car isn't charging. IO is going up to 42p, so even though OVO is higher at 10p, I would save money moving to OVO (if peak rate is at 34p) because of my average peak usage (wfh etc)
it is 39 for the on-peak rate with IO now... didn't you receive the email about reduced rates? :/ rates were reduced like 2 weeks ago or so.

me and my wife we both work from home and our daily low on-peak is like 4 kwh, daily high is 11 kwh :/

it is 39 for the on-peak rate with IO now... didn't you receive the email about reduced rates? :/ rates were reduced like 2 weeks ago or so.

me and my wife we both work from home and our daily low on-peak is like 4 kwh, daily high is 11 kwh :/
Yeah my deal on IO ends in June (7.5p + 35p). The new rates for me will be 7.5p and 42p. So that is an increase for me, which equates to about £21 more per month. If I go with OVO, on average I'll save about £12pm moving over.

Octopus said themselves on an email that it will cost me £300 more on the new IO tariff.

So what does it all cost?
Your current Intelligent Octopus prices
Peak unit rate: 35.11p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 7.50p / kWh
Standing charge: 37.65p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,587.48

We've based your estimate on your historical half-hourly usage pattern - that's 3,293 kWh during Intelligent Octopus peak times and 3,918 kWh during Intelligent Octopus off-peak times.
Your new Intelligent Octopus prices
Peak unit rate: 41.65p / kWh
Standing charge: 42.01p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,818.71
Flexible Octopus prices
Peak unit rate: 45.03p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 16.31p / kWh
Standing charge: 42.11p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £2,103.53

Yeah my deal on IO ends in June (7.5p + 35p). The new rates for me will be 7.5p and 42p. So that is an increase for me, which equates to about £21 more per month. If I go with OVO, on average I'll save about £12pm moving over.

Octopus said themselves on an email that it will cost me £300 more on the new IO tariff.

So what does it all cost?
Your current Intelligent Octopus prices
Peak unit rate: 35.11p / kWh
Standing charge: 37.65p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,587.48

We've based your estimate on your historical half-hourly usage pattern - that's 3,293 kWh during Intelligent Octopus peak times and 3,918 kWh during Intelligent Octopus off-peak times.
Your new Intelligent Octopus prices
Peak unit rate: 41.65p / kWh
Standing charge: 42.01p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,818.71
Flexible Octopus prices
Peak unit rate: 45.03p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 16.31p / kWh
Standing charge: 42.11p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £2,103.53

Here's email most of us received:

From midnight tonight, your Intelligent prices are dropping.
You don’t need to do anything; your new rates kick in from midnight (that’s 00:00 on Friday 21st April).
  • Your overnight price is dropping 25% to 7.5p / kWh (incl VAT).
  • Your day price is dropping to 39.27 p / kWh (incl VAT) – a 7% price cut on average.

Anyone else having real trouble getting accounts setup with Ovo?

I signed up on 4th April, created account online (works for App and via browser logons) which showed progress of stages. On the 11th April i got email to say switch was successful and to provide meter readings. Provided meter readings and both the app and browser logins showed green ticks for all stages saying switch completed, sit back and relax, account is being setup.

Yet 3 weeks later and no progress, existing supplier says no record of change request and same screens when logging into Ovo account with no confirmation of account number.

First 4 attempts at chat resulted in either being disconnected or advisor saying they needed account number to look into. I managed to get my account number recently but no update on progress. Rang today to ask what is going on and put on hold for 2 mins then it cut off.
Same here and no action from OVO to resolve it. I already have a SMETS2 meter, so its not that delaying it, the OVO web site confirms the move is completed but wont allow me to sign up to Charge Anytime as I don't have a smart meter!

wow that's weird, I might have to give them a call since my quote is higher than that
its area dependant. and it seems Essex is more expensive than most places. Who would have thought there could be a downside to living in Essex!
1683291782677.png

Posting this here as a 'just in case'. I added the EV Anytime tariff to my OVO account and installed an Indra smart charger and so far has worked perfectly, it charges at all sorts of different times when it's plugged in, but always gets to my chosen 80% by the 'ready by' time and often much sooner. However, I recently added the Ovo Charge Anytime App - just because - but my experience is that it's a huge battery drain. Took me a while to work out what it was as I'm new to the car and it lost a chunk of charge overnight which had never happened before. Remembered reading on here about vampire 3rd party apps (have looked to see if the Ovo app is called out elsewhere, but couldn't find it) and as soon as I uninstalled the Ovo app, drain has gone back to an absolute minimum. Given the app is unnecessary anyway, at least with my setup, just thought it might save others looking at going with OVO a potential issue if they do.

• Informative
Reactions: AndyWarrington
Posting this here as a 'just in case'. I added the EV Anytime tariff to my OVO account and installed an Indra smart charger and so far has worked perfectly, it charges at all sorts of different times when it's plugged in, but always gets to my chosen 80% by the 'ready by' time and often much sooner. However, I recently added the Ovo Charge Anytime App - just because - but my experience is that it's a huge battery drain. Took me a while to work out what it was as I'm new to the car and it lost a chunk of charge overnight which had never happened before. Remembered reading on here about vampire 3rd party apps (have looked to see if the Ovo app is called out elsewhere, but couldn't find it) and as soon as I uninstalled the Ovo app, drain has gone back to an absolute minimum. Given the app is unnecessary anyway, at least with my setup, just thought it might save others looking at going with OVO a potential issue if they do.
This is not something I've found, or reconcile in the way you describe.
Like you my charge often completes a lot earlier than required and I may lose 1% from the time of completion to when I actually get in the car - I put this down to preconidtioning though.

I assume in the above you mean battery drain on the car.... If it's on the phone I haven't noticed anything at all.... I'm running it on Android, Samsung Ultra 23

Reactions: Matrel