Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ovo UK - New EV Charge tariff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slightly confused by the above as not sure what OVO app you mean (the main one or the charge anytime one?). If you don’t have the latter installed how do you set the charge by time?

Basically, I am getting an Ohme installed next week and a M3 ‘coming soon’, but am trying to work out whether I should have the charge anytime linked to the Ohme or the car? What are people finding works best if you have both the compatible charger and car?

Slightly confused by the above as not sure what OVO app you mean (the main one or the charge anytime one?). If you don’t have the latter installed how do you set the charge by time?

Basically, I am getting an Ohme installed next week and a M3 ‘coming soon’, but am trying to work out whether I should have the charge anytime linked to the Ohme or the car? What are people finding works best if you have both the compatible charger and car?
I mean the Charge Anytime App. I assume the Ohme, as an approved charger, works the same as my Indra, as the other approved charger. I am not 100% on this, but I believe it's that they both use Kaluza as their underlying platform - see here...https://www.kaluza.com/ovo-energy-launches-kaluza-powered-electric-vehicle-charging-plan/

Basically there are two options but you can only use one of them - if you have an approved charger, then using the charger is better as you can get access to Charge Anytime rates at anytime - with the Charge Anytime App, it's only during the defined overnight window.

With the Charger, at least with Indra, you use their Charger App and you tell it that you are using Ovo Anytime as your tariff. You then do the usual API connection with your Ovo logon details and both Indra and Ovo show that they are connected. Then I set my M3 to its charging limit as normal and that's all I do with the Tesla. Then when the charger sees the car plugged in it uses the schedule you have set in the Indra app. The schedule is a 'Ready by' and has a time for each day, default is 7am weekday, 9am weekend. Then the car charges on an assumption that you are not going to unplug the car until then. In my experience it has worked flawlessly, but unusually, so Sunday afternoon it charged for quite some time at around 5kW, then trickled at 1kW or less for a few hours on Sunday evening, then between Midnight and 2am it charged at the full 7.4kW or thereabouts, then it did a couple of bursts at around 4am and 7am to bring it up to the 80% at which point my Tesla stopped charging (presumably via however it is the car and smart charger communicate via the cable as Ovo no longer has access to my Tesla account). I would assume that it's effectively the same with the Ohme, just a different App for your charger.

With the App, it's different and is designed for dumb chargers and it's where Ovo uses a logon to your Tesla account to find out where the car is up to. You have to install the Charge Anytime App and connect Ovo to your Tesla account. In this scenario, you plug your charger in to the car and Ovo uses the settings you have put in the Ovo App to start and stop charging from the car itself. Obviously as it's a dumb charger, there's no App for the charger. As above, the main difference as I understand it is that the Ovo App has a more fixed schedule, you provide a single charge window, but I could be wrong as I only used it once and it caused issues as covered previously. Maybe you could set the window for all day, when I did download the app, I just assumed it was fixed to midnight to 6am as that's the default, I never tried to change it.

They both have 'Boost' or 'Charge Now' or I think 'Urgent Charge' in the Ovo App where you can get the full 7.4kW on demand, but at full price.

As mentioned, I had issues when I installed both, Ovo told me that they cause a conflict as both are trying to control the charging process and it ends up that neither of them do and it constantly wakes up the car as they both try and work out what stage the car is in. I missed this one small reference on their website...

There are now two ways you can get Charge Anytime:
If you have both, we recommend connecting to Charge Anytime with your charger.

Hope that clarifies! There is another benefit to using the charger, at least I think so, just not been able to test, I believe that I could connect any car and get the same cheap electricity, whereas with the app, it's strictly that one car (unless the app supports multiple cars, again something I never checked).

I think you just wrote the manual OVO forgot to do!
Very informative, thanks for taking the time. Hopefully the Ohme app is the same as the Indra for these features (just had a quick look on their site and it looks like it does the scheduling etc too) 👍
Thanks! I think you made the better choice. The Indra is great, but took a while to get set up (they don't ship it with network connectivity, the installer needs to add either a WiFi or 4G dongle to the order), then when they returned to install the dongle, it turned out that a ribbon cable had a hole in it - I did a bodge fix for the electrician with my soldering iron and some heat shrink cable as I needed a working charger. It's been fine, but they are coming back this week to install the replacement cable and new tamper seals.

Also, for anyone planning to get an Indra charger for the integration with Ovo, watch out. The charger I received did not work properly at first (there's a whole series of coloured LEDs that tell you what's happening) and I couldn't get smart charging to work. Indra have two different apps, a normal Android/iPhone App plus a 'Web App' - really a web page where you can drop a shortcut to your phone so it appears to be an App. With Ovo, they tell you that you can only use the Web App. For fun I thought I'd try the Indra App and see what that looked like - anyway, it installed and connected quite happily and then proceeded to apply a series of software updates over the next few hours. After that, the charger functioned correctly and everything was good.

Problem was, as part of the issues mentioned above, Indra came back to me telling me that I can only use the Web App and they have actually locked me out of connecting with the normal App. It's fine, the only real feature the normal App added was the ability to lock the charger from being used. They keep telling me that Ovo will come in to their normal App 'soon' but I sense there's no rush. With the Web App, you have to 'kill' it after you've used it, otherwise when you next open it, it has no data. Hopefully your integration will be much smoother and you can just use the Ohme App and go from there :)

This may have been answered before somewhere but is there an easy way to see when the green energy is so you can work out how long the car will have?

I have checked the Ovo app itself which does show the charge timings but they change, i know it says when you plug it in when it will start charging (if not immediately) but i wondered if i am missing where additional info is so you can perhaps plan it better. Or is this just the way it is?

This may have been answered before somewhere but is there an easy way to see when the green energy is so you can work out how long the car will have?

I have checked the Ovo app itself which does show the charge timings but they change, i know it says when you plug it in when it will start charging (if not immediately) but i wondered if i am missing where additional info is so you can perhaps plan it better. Or is this just the way it is?

It doesn't quite work in the way you describe.

I would say it is intended to be "set and forget", meaning you tell the app how much % to charge up to, and what time you want that to finish by. Then Ovo decide what time to start in order to meet those criteria.

Normally it charges for a few mins after plugging in, which I presume is part of figuring out the above (i.e. if it manages to charge x% in y minutes then..).

If, for whatever reason, you can't wait for it then there is an option to start charging immediately but this period would not be discounted.

The app will show when it intends to resume charging at the "smart" discounted rate. I've seen it change its mind a few times, and do a bit, stop and then do more later on.

I mean the Charge Anytime App. I assume the Ohme, as an approved charger, works the same as my Indra, as the other approved charger. I am not 100% on this, but I believe it's that they both use Kaluza as their underlying platform - see here...https://www.kaluza.com/ovo-energy-launches-kaluza-powered-electric-vehicle-charging-plan/

Basically there are two options but you can only use one of them - if you have an approved charger, then using the charger is better as you can get access to Charge Anytime rates at anytime - with the Charge Anytime App, it's only during the defined overnight window.

With the Charger, at least with Indra, you use their Charger App and you tell it that you are using Ovo Anytime as your tariff. You then do the usual API connection with your Ovo logon details and both Indra and Ovo show that they are connected. Then I set my M3 to its charging limit as normal and that's all I do with the Tesla. Then when the charger sees the car plugged in it uses the schedule you have set in the Indra app. The schedule is a 'Ready by' and has a time for each day, default is 7am weekday, 9am weekend. Then the car charges on an assumption that you are not going to unplug the car until then. In my experience it has worked flawlessly, but unusually, so Sunday afternoon it charged for quite some time at around 5kW, then trickled at 1kW or less for a few hours on Sunday evening, then between Midnight and 2am it charged at the full 7.4kW or thereabouts, then it did a couple of bursts at around 4am and 7am to bring it up to the 80% at which point my Tesla stopped charging (presumably via however it is the car and smart charger communicate via the cable as Ovo no longer has access to my Tesla account). I would assume that it's effectively the same with the Ohme, just a different App for your charger.

With the App, it's different and is designed for dumb chargers and it's where Ovo uses a logon to your Tesla account to find out where the car is up to. You have to install the Charge Anytime App and connect Ovo to your Tesla account. In this scenario, you plug your charger in to the car and Ovo uses the settings you have put in the Ovo App to start and stop charging from the car itself. Obviously as it's a dumb charger, there's no App for the charger. As above, the main difference as I understand it is that the Ovo App has a more fixed schedule, you provide a single charge window, but I could be wrong as I only used it once and it caused issues as covered previously. Maybe you could set the window for all day, when I did download the app, I just assumed it was fixed to midnight to 6am as that's the default, I never tried to change it.

They both have 'Boost' or 'Charge Now' or I think 'Urgent Charge' in the Ovo App where you can get the full 7.4kW on demand, but at full price.

As mentioned, I had issues when I installed both, Ovo told me that they cause a conflict as both are trying to control the charging process and it ends up that neither of them do and it constantly wakes up the car as they both try and work out what stage the car is in. I missed this one small reference on their website...

There are now two ways you can get Charge Anytime:
If you have both, we recommend connecting to Charge Anytime with your charger.

Hope that clarifies! There is another benefit to using the charger, at least I think so, just not been able to test, I believe that I could connect any car and get the same cheap electricity, whereas with the app, it's strictly that one car (unless the app supports multiple cars, again something I never checked).
I have Charge Anytime, Indra Pro and obviously a Tesla.
Charging at home usually I just boost so it charges straight away.
Since signing up for Charge Anywhere I have only used it once, and it worked fine however this was overnight. My wife works nights so often the car is not at home and if she can't charge at work we will need to charge when she gets home.
Do you recommend deleting the Charge Anytime app and using the Indra kaluza based web app to schedule day time charging then? Does it work the same way?

I have Charge Anytime, Indra Pro and obviously a Tesla.
Charging at home usually I just boost so it charges straight away.
Since signing up for Charge Anywhere I have only used it once, and it worked fine however this was overnight. My wife works nights so often the car is not at home and if she can't charge at work we will need to charge when she gets home.
Do you recommend deleting the Charge Anytime app and using the Indra kaluza based web app to schedule day time charging then? Does it work the same way?
Just set the need by time in the charge anytime app to when it is needed - example, 18:00, plug the car in when at home and the app will check the charge rate to calculate how long is needed and will charge when the grid is at lower demand - I have seen it charge during the day many times when it will take 14+ hours to charge from a long drive (I use the UMC which charges at approx. 2kw so can take some time occasionally). You need to just let the app do its thing and not get tempted to click the override button.

Just set the need by time in the charge anytime app to when it is needed - example, 18:00, plug the car in when at home and the app will check the charge rate to calculate how long is needed and will charge when the grid is at lower demand - I have seen it charge during the day many times when it will take 14+ hours to charge from a long drive (I use the UMC which charges at approx. 2kw so can take some time occasionally). You need to just let the app do its thing and not get tempted to click the override button.
I've binned the charge anytime app off and I am using the Indra kaluza web app instead. I used the charge anytime app twice.. 1 time it worked, the second time failed to charge. Using the Indra Kaluza has been faultless so far.

The Anytime app shows the savings, this is matched on the Ovo bill as a credit when the bill is produced - I'd recommend you check you get the same 👍
Has anyone confirmed if the Indra app/website works as an alternative to the Charge Anytime app (i.e. charging si scheduled based on how green the grid is) and that it has been integrated with the Ovo customer charging team?

I collected a new Model 3 back in Jan. Connected it with the Charge Anytime app and it worked straight out of the box, and credits correctly applied to my home energy bill. Since mid-Feb the Charge Anytime app has not worked successfully. There was an app update which required users to remove and re-add their EV. Whenever I have tried to add the EV since then, it gets stuck insisting that a phone key is created (despite my phone already being set up as a key with the car…).

Anyone else had a similar failure mode for the software and found any methods to work through it?

Has anyone confirmed if the Indra app/website works as an alternative to the Charge Anytime app (i.e. charging si scheduled based on how green the grid is) and that it has been integrated with the Ovo customer charging team?

I collected a new Model 3 back in Jan. Connected it with the Charge Anytime app and it worked straight out of the box, and credits correctly applied to my home energy bill. Since mid-Feb the Charge Anytime app has not worked successfully. There was an app update which required users to remove and re-add their EV. Whenever I have tried to add the EV since then, it gets stuck insisting that a phone key is created (despite my phone already being set up as a key with the car…).

Anyone else had a similar failure mode for the software and found any methods to work through it?
I deleted the ovo charge anytime app ages ago, and now use the Kaluza web app instead. The charge anytime tariff is integrated within Kaluza and the credits show up in our ovo account.

1000024263.jpg

I deleted the ovo charge anytime app ages ago, and now use the Kaluza web app instead. The charge anytime tariff is integrated within Kaluza and the credits show up in our ovo account.

View attachment 1028423
Amazing and thanks for the information/advice. I recently had an email from the developers/Ovo indicating that the most recent Tesla update caused integration issues and we are all back to normal now but I will investigate the Indra app. The good news is that whilst the app was not able to pair with the car, Ovo has established what charging did occur during that time and given us the credits to reduce the charged amount accordingly.

I’m sure that this will not be the last time this happens. Always the outcome with multiple organisations developing software and relying on existing interfaces remaining useable! All we can do is help them debug it when we find a failure mode.