Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS blocked on low-cost AT&T plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got around to calling AT&T on this, and was able to have them transfer the balance on my GoPhone plan to my regular AT&T cell phone account. They even gave me an extra $15 for the trouble. It did take a while to explain the problem, so $15 is hardly worth it, but it felt like a tiny victory.

I spent an hour on the phone with AT&T trying to get a refund for my $83 balance I still have on my GoPhone account. At first they refused. I then got to a "supervisor" who said they would submit my request and if approved I could receive a check. Who knows if it will be "approved."

I went into the ATT store here in Santa Barbara to get my refund. It took an hour. Had to go to the manager and then his supervisor. They applied the balance on the card to my credit card--finally. It was a huge hassle! Their position is that my money on the account was theirs--and I could choose to close the account if I wished. My contention was that they cut of my service -- not by my choice--so I shouldn't have to pay for it. I had automatic payment set up and if you do be sure to turn it off!

On other matters thanks to all of you who helped with the various messages about H2O Wireless. Got my card for 1 cent on Amazon and installed the card today. Had a bunch of trouble, but it finally worked. Note to self: RTFM!!! The OVMS of old is running fine now. About the only H2O that works here in Central California! :biggrin:

UPDATE: FCC Complaint Filed Regarding AT&T

As I reported above at OVMS blocked on low-cost ATT plans - Page 6 I filed an FCC complaint against AT&T for cutting off the data on their low cost pre-pay plan to OVMS users.

I have now been back and forth with AT&T regarding the FCC complaint several times. In a nutshell, AT&T states to the FCC that it did not cut off the data to the OVMS devices, contending it its latest response that it must be my "antennae" (see below).

I am reprinting below my correspondence with AT&T. Suffice it to say I am not happy that I and other OVMS users are being jerked around by AT&T.

At this point with the FCC complaint process, it would be really helpful if I could submit to the FCC evidence of other OVMS users having AT&T data cut off to their OVMS devices. If you can help me with this, please PM me.

Please PM me with any identifying information that you would not mind me forwarding to the FCC along with your (possibly former) AT&T account number, a specific date as possible when your OVMS device with AT&T service had its data content cut-off, and ideally a PDF of your AT&T data, SMS and phone usage for November that still may be available from your AT&T Go-Phone account showing the mid-November date when data was cut off (the one from my AT&T account shows almost daily data transmissions up until November 17th when data abruptly cuts off). Even if you cannot send any read-out from your AT&T account, just being able to show the FCC that I was not the only one who had their OVMS data content cut off in mid-November will be very helpful. Also, any descriptions of what AT&T told you when you contacted them, such as they would be happy to turn back on the data if you signed up for a more expensive account, will also be extremely helpful.

Here are my exchanges with AT&T resulting from my FCC complaint described above:

This is the first substantive response I received from AT&T after AT&T claimed it had tried to call me three times on my office phone and "was unable to reach me":

Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2015 11:01 AM
To: Garziglia, John
Subject: RE: Regarding case CM20151223_109910001

Good morning and Happy Holidays to you Mr. Garziglia,
I attempted to contact you this morning before I actually read this email as I had left the office yesterday. Unfortunately I will be unable to assist you with your AT&T blocking data for your Tesla Roadster vehicle. The device you have “OVMS Module” is not compatible for your vehicle. Also I contacted four Tesla dealers; McLena, VA, Richmond, VA, Vienna, VA, and West Palm beach, FL and each of them stated that your Tesla Roadster actually does not come equipped with the feature you are inquiring about. Although the internet stated it is a compatible device it is not confirmed that it will work on the AT&T network as your vehicle does not come equipped with the feature. I apologize for the inconvenience.

In response to this email, I responded this below to AT&T:

Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2015 3:13 PM
To: ROBINSON, CANASTA

Dear Mr. Robinson,

Thank you for your response. I am happy that we are now communicating.

I find, however, that your message below is unresponsive to my complaint.

My complaint is that, as of approximately November 17, 2015 and through today’s date, AT&T is blocking certain data content to my device. That certain data content was not blocked between the time I commenced service for the device under your “Go Phone” prepaid plan in January, 2014 until approximately November 17, 2015. As described in my complaint, I am not the only user of your “Go Phone” prepaid plan that is now having certain data content blocked under this plan.

It is irrelevant whether the OVMS module is TESLA provided, or is after-market compatible with my TESLA The devices is, in fact, after-market compatible as proven by my use, and the use of others, in the past several years.

As my wireless provider, the only issue for AT&T is whether the device will receive and transmit data over the AT&T network, which it does. As described in detail in my complaint, the OVMS device is installed and was working until AT&T began blocking its data on approximately November 17, 2015.

As documented in my complaint, other AT&T subscribers with OVMS modules subscribed to AT&T’s “Go Phone” prepaid plan identical to mine experienced the same blocking of data on approximately the same date and were informed by AT&T representatives that data transmission to the OVMS module would be unblocked if a different, more expensive, AT&T payment plan was subscribed to. Of note, the OVMS module still functions with AT&T’s SMS service which is included in the prepaid “Go Phone” plan to which I am subscribed. It is the data content to and from the OVMS module that is being blocked by AT&T.

There are many wireless devices that Americans use in automobiles that will connect with AT&T wireless, some of which also connect in some way with a feature in their automobile. To my knowledge, none require a compatibility rating from the automobile manufacturer which would entitle AT&T to block certain data content to and from those devices.

If blocking certain data content on my present “Go Phone” plan to force me to a higher priced AT&T plan with far more data than I need is a legitimate network management issue for AT&T, please advise how that matter has been determined. Otherwise, please immediately restore the data transmission to my prepaid service for my account. I will address any compatibility issues separately with TESLA.

Thank you.

John F. Garziglia

Finally, below is the response I received from AT&T today stating that AT&T "does not block data content" and possibly I need a new "antennae":

Sent: Monday, December 28, 2015 2:25 PM
To: Garziglia, John

Mr. Garziglia,
I have spoken with Mike Yelle of the Tesla Motors and he advised me as AT&T does not block data from the Teslas. He also stated that it may be a technical issue and the device you have may need an antennae. It is unfortunate but as I stated before AT&T does not block data content.

Changed my plan phone to the family share program. More expensive than the Go Phone, but no changes required on OVMS and relatively painless. Cost per month is $15, but no worries about required annual payments. So in the end, it's close to balancing out to what I paid before. They did transfer the $168 credit from the Go Phone to my family share plan. This must be done in the store to sign paperwork and required about 15 minutes.

Last edited:
This is a long overdue update to this thread and the eventual resolution of this issue by AT&T, at least as it relates to me.

I realize that this may be a Pyrrhic victory since 2G is being discontinued by AT&T at the end of December, 2016.

My issue, as described in detail above, was that AT&T ceased data service to my OVMS under their low-cost prepaid $10/month Go-Phone plan.

After much back and forth with AT&T, the data started flowing again on June 7, 2016. Here is what the AT&T representative stated to me when the data started flowing again:

Good morning –

I just tried to call to tell you that I think we have some good news. We tested some things on our end and we believe that we have resolved the issue. Please give it a try for a couple of days and let me know if it seems to be responding as you expected. I would also ask for your indulgence to allow us to put a trace on it for 24 hours once you give us the go ahead to make sure it looks right on our side as well.

Thank you for your patience as we fought through this.​

I delayed posting to this forum as I wanted to be sure that data actually continued to flow to my OVMS device. It has without interruption since June 7th.

I was never able to conclusively discern whether AT&T cut off the data in November, 2015 as an affirmative act, or whether an AT&T engineer somewhere simply made some network configuration changes that had unintended consequences and was inadequately documented.

In talking with consultants who have done technical work for AT&T, they believe that AT&T is so large with so many technical parameters that whatever change made that had the effect of cutting off data to OVMS under low-cost plans very well could have been inadvertent on AT&T's part. Notably, once I had AT&T's attention, they were diligent and forthright in communicating with me, and, as I note above, eventually made whatever correction was needed to get the data flowing again. AT&T also gave me a generous credit to my account for the time I was without data -- a credit that I doubt will ever be fully used given the tiny amounts of data used by OVMS but nonetheless appreciated.

I have no idea whether this change made by AT&T is for all of its OVMS low cost prepaid "Go Phone" plans, or whether the change was uniquely applicable only to my account. AT&T has not given me further information on that and I doubt I will hear anything more. Also, I have no idea whether the data plan now used for OVMS will be usable with any new version of OVMS that uses 3G or 4G. But, since I like to finish things I start, this was a small victory in that AT&T did finally turn back on the OVMS data after it being off since November, 2015.

Reactions: tvuolo and markwj
I received this notification from H2O the other day.

IMG_0209.jpg