Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS blocked on low-cost AT&T plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmmm...
Could it be that all of us having trouble connecting are on the AT&T $0.10/minute plan?
I have just noticed some troubling new wording on my account page:
…and
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]​
Could it be that AT&T has decided our OVMS modules are smartphones, and are denying us connection to their data service?
If so, it might be time to switch to H2O (though I still have a balance of over $60 on the AT&T SIM).

This could be an FCC "Net Neutrality" violation by AT&T. Can anyone specifically identify what data is being blocked? The essence of net neutrality is that data should not be blocked based upon its content. Is that what is happening here?

Last edited:
This could be an FCC "Net Neutrality" violation by AT&T. Can anyone specifically identify what data is being blocked? The essence of net neutrality is that data should not be blocked based upon its content. Is that what is happening here?

No, I don't think it's a violation of Net Neutrality.

However, it does show a disregard for existing customers. After nearly three years using this service, they just turned off GPRS data with no word of warning or explanation.

I spent 4 hours with AT&T Customer Support over the past two days. In the first session, I explained exactly what the OVMS is, and that it is not a smartphone, and had them review my data usage (typically just over 500KB/month) to verify that this is not the usage pattern of a smartphone. So, they cheerfully updated their records to indicate "not a smartphone". Still no data. Then, they bumped it up to a Supervisor who went through the whole thing with me again. When it didn't work (again), she promised to research the issue and call me back.

Bottom line is that AT&T isn't allowing anything other than WAP (old bare-bones mobile web) data on these low-cost accounts.

The best she could do for me is move me to an account at $2.00/day (only charged on days when voice or SMS text messages are used), with a $1.00/day data package (with an allowance of roughly 6,000 times what is needed for OVMS), and she kicked in a $45.00 credit so we could test it.

After a RESET of the OVMS, all data and SMS is working again, but the cost is three to nine times what I had been paying.

As soon as my H2O SIM arrives, I will set it up, and cancel the AT&T account.

H2O uses AT&T service, servers, and settings. But seems to be working fine for me.

Well, it's not AT&T "The Network", it's the plan you guys are on.

I'm on AT&T (PrePaid, GoPhone), and my OVMS is working fine. However, I'm not on the super-cheap plan. Mine costs me like $30/month ($25/month for the "unlimited voice and text" and an additional $5.00/month for 5GB of data). But, it's working just fine.

Not sure if it is only certain locations but I am also using the low cost AT&T prepay plan and am still getting data. OVMS is showing live connection.

Are you on the 10¢/minute plan, or a different one?

I'd say keep using it as long as it works, but be ready for data service to stop.

It probably wouldn't hurt to add in a 1¢ H20 SIM the next time you're buying something from Amazon, so you can be prepared.

Are you on the 10¢/minute plan, or a different one?

I'd say keep using it as long as it works, but be ready for data service to stop.

It probably wouldn't hurt to add in a 1¢ H20 SIM the next time you're buying something from Amazon, so you can be prepared.

Yes, using th 10c/minute plan. Put $100 in for the year and still have a decent balance left when it expires at the end of the year.

Guess I better grab a H20 sim.

Okay, I got the H2O SIM card and tried setting it up. I created a new vehicle at Openvehicles, which wasn't necessary, but I screwed up somewhere along the way, so I just decided to start fresh. Anyway, I can communicate with the OVMS module via SMS commands, but I can't seem to get the GPRS set up. Can anyone help me out with this? Here's what I get with the GPRS? command:

GPRS:
APN:att.mvno
User:
Password:
GSM:AT&T
GSM/GPRS: Not connected (0x0041)

Also, when trying to view account data on the H2O wireless website, the site asks me to add my phone number to the online account I created. When I enter the phone number the H2O website issued me, I guess their system sends a text message to the phone number and I get the following message:

If you did not receive the 6 digits verification code after 2 minutes, please try again.

Well, the verification code the H2O website sends me, is not getting back to me from the OVMS module. However, the OVMS module will send me messages about the car status, GPS, etc.

I'm not sure how best to troubleshoot this.

Okay, I got the H2O SIM card and tried setting it up. I created a new vehicle at Openvehicles, which wasn't necessary, but I screwed up somewhere along the way, so I just decided to start fresh. Anyway, I can communicate with the OVMS module via SMS commands, but I can't seem to get the GPRS set up. Can anyone help me out with this? Here's what I get with the GPRS? command:

GPRS:
User:
Password:

Also, when trying to view account data on the H2O wireless website, the site asks me to add my phone number to the online account I created. When I enter the phone number the H2O website issued me, I guess their system sends a text message to the phone number and I get the following message:

If you did not receive the 6 digits verification code after 2 minutes, please try again.

Well, the verification code the H2O website sends me, is not getting back to me from the OVMS module. However, the OVMS module will send me messages about the car status, GPS, etc.

Since you're getting text messages but not data my guess is that GSM needs to be set to: att.mvno via this SMS command:

GPRS att.mvno - -

GPRS:
User:
Password:

I'm not using GPRS with H2O so I can't help you with that. But I'm having the same problem getting the text message with the code they send out. You have to have this to add minutes to the number on your account. The advice here is to put the sim in a phone to set everything up, but in my region almost everybody uses Verizon which means nobody has an old phone that will work with the H2O sim. It doesn't help any that I don't have service at my house (of any kind). Will OVMS forward the text with the code to my smart phone if I'm at a location within range of both networks?