Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS - 2G being turned off in US by AT & T

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I think I've read is that AT&T is turning off the 2G equipment in a particular area when they determine that there aren't customers needing it, however they decide that. I am using a GeoSIM card rather than H2O, but I anticipate that mine will stop working at some point, too. I anxiously await OVMS v3.

I'm on H20Wireless in the LA area and SMS works more reliably than EDGE...

The signal to my garage has practically quit a month or so ago though.

Is the new HW going to have support for DATA only SIMs? I know it's a little backward, but it would be good to be able to connect serially to the device to configure and just run it over data. I've been playing with the new Freedompop free SIM program and it seems to work well over 3G in the US (via an AT&T Reseller) and not sure if/when it will support LTE (no unlocked LTE phone to test with). Additionally, it's free 500Mb to start.

Not sure if it's been mentioned too, Wi-Fi support? I have Wi-Fi in the garage to support an IoT lawn sprinkler system (and now the Model S too)...

I put my H2O sim back into my OVMS and car. Driving around, I did get an update in downtown Alameda. Then when I leave the area of the tower, the OVMS app location shows me driving out of the area that has coverage. I bet the Alameda Police have some 2G thing.

My OVMS has largely stopped working for the last few days. Once in a while it seems to get a signal, but it’s become mostly nonfunctional. I’m using H2O on the ATT network, in and around Cupertino, and it appears that ATT may be starting to shut down 2G GPRS service in this area.

Perhaps @markwj might want to start a waiting list of people interested in getting an OVMS v3?

I’m also going to look at other options like T-Mobile, but I suspect it will be hard to match H2O’s rate of under $3.50 / month.

My OVMS has largely stopped working for the last few days. Once in a while it seems to get a signal, but it’s become mostly nonfunctional. I’m using H2O on the ATT network, in and around Cupertino, and it appears that ATT may be starting to shut down 2G GPRS service in this area.

Perhaps @markwj might want to start a waiting list of people interested in getting an OVMS v3?

I’m also going to look at other options like T-Mobile, but I suspect it will be hard to match H2O’s rate of under $3.50 / month.
I'm also using H2O on the ATT network and it's also mostly stopped working in the last two weeks. Verizon has the best network around here but the wrong kind.

Not too worried at the moment, but will surely let you guys know nearer the time. The project has enough to finance the first production runs, so need to kickstarter or anything like that. When things are ready, we will let all current and past users know about it, and there will be special upgrade pricing at launch time.

Reactions: wiztecy

Guys (and gals if Bonnie is reading :)), T-Mobile is offering a FREE sim and FREE service for the rest of the year. Again, I haven't investigated yet (been traveling), but if someone else wants to do the dirty work and let us know, this may be a great short-term bridge.

The T-Mobile deal seems like a fleet thing. Your company/how many/etc... I didn't go very far because I don't have a fleet. Now who is it that has three Roadsters? Sounds like a fleet. I bet there is some commitment beyond the end of this year. I might have followed the wrong link so someone else confirming this would be good. Maybe the US TMC members constitute a fleet?

I've been looking around and TracFone has a $19.99 / 3 months, but they are a VMNO of several different networks and it's hard to get the right kind of SIM from them which will work.

I'll probably just wait it out.

Kind of related, does anyone know what Tesla uses inside the Roadster for their own telemetry? Is Tesla going dark for tracking Roadsters end of this year? Are they on AT&T or something else?

H20 GPRS (ATT&T) is dead here outside Syracuse, has been for about a week. I guess I'll be looking into T-Mob as I must have working OVMS before I store my car for the winter...

BTW, for the folks wondering what Tesla's built in VMS uses: its AT&T while it has a 3G capable SIM, the TELIT GC864-QUAD module that it uses is 2G (GPRS) only -- meaning even Tesla will be unable to communicate with your cars after the network is turned off. This means even Tesla is unlikely to be able to give you a warning call if your battery starts getting dangerously low or you have some other critical issue.

I believe this is also true of Canadian vehicles, as that's where the spare VMS I've looked at is actually from. Ironically folks in Canada will probably still be OK for a while as I don't think the Canadian roaming partners turn off time table is as aggressive as AT&Ts.

Technically Tesla could change the SIMs in their VMS to T-Mob, however its a bit of pain in the butt to do. You as the owner likely cannot, as you'd need to reprogram the VMS with the new APN information, which requires the service software and vehicle interface cable...

• Informative
Reactions: wiztecy