Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS - 2G being turned off in US by AT & T

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's hard to spoof the originating ID of a text message as it's handled by the network. Any other sender needs your password.

Adding to this. It's easy to spoof the CID for a voice call... For text messaging, it is a bit more difficult as you need to compromise a network level SMS gateway from a provider. If someone is doing that, chances are they're not looking to screw around with someone's OVMS.

This is a little scary... So, if someone were to spoof the callerID of the text message (which I hear is easy to do), they could send commands to your car? Your only security, then, is the obscurity of what number to call (for the car) and what number to send it from (your phone). Admittedly, with so few of these in the installed base, it's not a big target, but IoT Hacking seems to be the new upcoming sport.

Can OVMS be configured to require the password (which can be changed periodically)? The forwarding is good, as it provides a record of any failed break-in attempts, assuming a valid command from a wrong phone number would be forwarded too.

They would need (a) your registered telephone number, (b) the number of the module in your car, and (c) the ability to spoof (a). Given that, they would have the ability to see location, start/stop charge, etc. The lock/unlock requires another code.

If you consider that a security risk, then easiest is to not register your phone number. Then, you will always require a password with every SMS message.

Good... that makes me feel better. The origin of the phone was a 30 years old guy in MT. He does not appear to be a computer guy from the information on the internet searches so .......................
Sorry to generate any fear in community. I love the OVMS and use it every day. New version is of great interest to me. Mt AT&T connection still works but no clue how long.

Adding to this. It's easy to spoof the CID for a voice call... For text messaging, it is a bit more difficult as you need to compromise a network level SMS gateway from a provider. If someone is doing that, chances are they're not looking to screw around with someone's OVMS.

Ah, ok. This is better. I had thought that CID for Voice calls and SMS messages would be the same; that they're different, and more secure for SMS, works for me. Thanks for clarifying.

Question: Would the design allow the OVMS to act as a WiFi hotspot when away from home (to enable my dashcam to access cloud services)?

Not currently planning to do that. Current plan is to be a wifi client not server/hotspot.

If you have a small wifi hotspot in the car, you can just not add the cellular connectivity to OVMS and use wifi to get out via your hotspot, though.

New problem after getting car back from Service Center.

SMS works like normal but iphone app blinking gray antenna with the word 'Live" underneath. I tried to reset thru settings on iPhone but the server listed as "tmc.openvehicles.com" and a password with 20 dots that I don't remember setting. My listed password is much shorter. I queried the OVMS with "SERVER?" and got an IP address 54.197.255.127 but when I tried that in OVMS SERVER space in settings I lost the word "live" undertake blinking gray antenna. I tried my password and that didn't make any difference. I queried thru SMS with GPRS? and get correct APN, user and password were blank (ok for AT&T) ,GSM:AT&T, but .... GSM/GPRS: Not Connected (0*0042)

The lights on the OVMS- green goes to two blinks upon reboot and then red blinks 9 times with green accompanying five times .....I counted several times then it goes dark. So ....... no server connection but do I have the correct server IP and what's with the super long
password?

any ideas??

New problem after getting car back from Service Center.

SMS works like normal but iphone app blinking gray antenna with the word 'Live" underneath. I tried to reset thru settings on iPhone but the server listed as "tmc.openvehicles.com" and a password with 20 dots that I don't remember setting. My listed password is much shorter. I queried the OVMS with "SERVER?" and got an IP address 54.197.255.127 but when I tried that in OVMS SERVER space in settings I lost the word "live" undertake blinking gray antenna. I tried my password and that didn't make any difference. I queried thru SMS with GPRS? and get correct APN, user and password were blank (ok for AT&T) ,GSM:AT&T, but .... GSM/GPRS: Not Connected (0*0042)

The lights on the OVMS- green goes to two blinks upon reboot and then red blinks 9 times with green accompanying five times .....I counted several times then it goes dark. So ....... no server connection but do I have the correct server IP and what's with the super long
password?

any ideas??

Server settings have changed to api.openvehicles.com as of yesterday.

Send command to ovms and change it on your client.

whoooohooo....... Got it!

The only thing not reporting on the APP is the TPMS and temp readings for the tires. The service center just put new sensors on three tires and a new antenna for the system so I'll try to get a reading tomorrow when I power up the car and see readings on the VDS.

Last edited:
whoooohooo....... Got it!

The only thing not reporting on the APP is the TPMS and temp readings for the tires. The service center just put new sensors on three tires and a new antenna for the system so I'll try to get a reading tomorrow when I power up the car and see readings on the VDS.
I think it reads the tire pressure from the last point when the car is on... Not "right this second"...

The support link timed out, so how do I check the vehicle module?

That might be your issue. The support link is currently hosted on the same server as api.openvehicles.com - if you can't get to one, you probably can't get to the other. The site is up for me, and our pingdom monitoring is showing no issues. Perhaps best to take this offline so we can get the information necessary to resolve your issue. I'll message you.