Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Over Torqued Lug nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a noob and just picked up my 2023 Model X long range last Friday. I had A stealth PPF wrap installed and also a ceramic coating put on the wrap and wheels. The tech torqued my lug nuts to 237 lb. ft. when reinstalling my wheels. When I got home checked the manual and found the recommended torque was 129 lb. ft. My question is should I be concerned about possible damage to the rotors, lugs etc. due to being over-torqued by 108 lb. ft.? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 30229.jpeg
    30229.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 123
How do you know it was 237?
I was picking up the car after having the PPF and ceramic done. He had taken the wheels off to bake the ceramic on. The tech is a little guy, so he had this monster of a guy come over and torque the lugs to 237 ft. lbs. I thought it was weird, but when I said something he replied that because Teslas are so powerful they needed to be torqued more. Well, afterwards I went home and did some research and found the correct torque spec of 129 ft. lbs. The tech came to my house, and re-torqued to the proper specifications. He gifted me a $200 torque wrench, a $100 breaker bar and over $100 in ceramic cleaning supplies. He also is giving me a lifetime yearly refresh for my PPF/ceramic (wash, clay bar, ceramic refresh). He is taking full responsibility if any damages were incurred. All in all I am pleased with his response. *sugar* happens, we’re only human

Upvote 0
I was picking up the car after having the PPF and ceramic done. He had taken the wheels off to bake the ceramic on. The tech is a little guy, so he had this monster of a guy come over and torque the lugs to 237 ft. lbs. I thought it was weird, but when I said something he replied that because Teslas are so powerful they needed to be torqued more. Well, afterwards I went home and did some research and found the correct torque spec of 129 ft. lbs. The tech came to my house, and re-torqued to the proper specifications. He gifted me a $200 torque wrench, a $100 breaker bar and over $100 in ceramic cleaning supplies. He also is giving me a lifetime yearly refresh for my PPF/ceramic (wash, clay bar, ceramic refresh). He is taking full responsibility if any damages were incurred. All in all I am pleased with his response. *sugar* happens, we’re only human

The torque value for the wheels is determined by the diameter and grade of the studs, IIRC are M14. Try to look up the yield strength of that stud. Overtorqued fasteners will deform and fail. You might be totally fine, but it's worth getting a concrete answer.

24x543.png

• Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Upvote 0