Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

aftermarket lug nuts, will these work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a lot of searching, there's reports that leaving the wheel covers on will eventually wear on the wheel and leave scuffs and scratches. I do plan to get aftermarket wheels once the oem tire wears out, and plan to sell the Gemini wheels.

I'm not into the lug nut covers and want to replace the oem lugs with solid black lug nuts. Also, research has shown oem lugs will warp, expand, and deform over time especially with the 129 torque specs. side note, i've only ever owned Hondas, Toyotas, and a Kia and they all come with good solid chrome plated closed ended lug nuts, so I was surprised to find these cheap raw steel lug nuts on a Tesla...

these are "cold forged", 60' conical acorn bulge, M14x1.50, "meets oem and aftermarket applications"

Last edited:
After a lot of searching, there's reports that leaving the wheel covers on will eventually wear on the wheel and leave scuffs and scratches. I do plan to get aftermarket wheels once the oem tire wears out, and plan to sell the Gemini wheels.

I'm not into the lug nut covers and want to replace the oem lugs with solid black lug nuts. Also, research has shown oem lugs will warp, expand, and deform over time especially with the 129 torque specs. side note, i've only ever owned Hondas, Toyotas, and a Kia and they all come with good solid chrome plated closed ended lug nuts, so I was surprised to find these cheap raw steel lug nuts on a Tesla...

these are "cold forged", 60' conical acorn bulge, M14x1.50, "meets oem and aftermarket applications"

Were the wheels on your previous vehicles alloy wheels or sets that had wheel covers? Of the cars driven in the past, whenever they had wheel/hub covers, they had open nuts. Conversely, I’ve never seen an open (OEM) set on any wheel intended to be exposed. Aftermarket is a different story.

So, while I was surprised to see open nuts on the MYP, it wasn’t unreasonable when I thought about it.

On my previous vehicle, a 2019 Honda HR-V Touring, it had alloy wheels with closed chrome plated nuts, that actually showed signs of rust on a few of them after only half a year.

20200422_152401_Original.jpeg

I’ve also had a few aftermarket nuts (namely Gorilla) show a bit of rust too. But oddly, in that case, they seemed to partially get wiped off. As if the rusting was of iron from somewhere else (socket adapter?).

So I no longer have any idea what to expect.

Oh, as for the topic of the aftermarket set working. Assuming it has the right thread and pitch, it should work. I have a similar set on my MYP with my aftermarket wheels (again, Gorilla like on my previous cars).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Were the wheels on your previous vehicles alloy wheels or sets that had wheel covers? Of the cars driven in the past, whenever they had wheel/hub covers, they had open nuts. Conversely, I’ve never seen an open (OEM) set on any wheel intended to be exposed. Aftermarket is a different story.

The two that had hub caps were a blue 1990 Honda Accord LX and a silver 1994 Toyota Camry LE. The hub caps were secured under the exposed lug nuts. I found 2 photos on Bing. I remember back in the 80's a lot of American cars had pop on hub caps that would come off on the road and we'd see them rolling off. The Japanese car makers learned to secure their hub caps under the lug nuts. My others either had steel (2002 Honda CR-V) or alloy wheels (2013 Sienna & 2014 Kia Sportage). I did have a set of Gorilla spline lug nuts when I got aftermarket wheels for the 02 CR-V from Discount Tires, don't remember any rust, had them for 12 yrs and even go saltwater fishing regularly around Galveston, Surfside, and Freeport. Hopefully the black chrome plating will hold up.

honda accord 1990.jpg

toyota camry 1994.jpg

Upvote 0
The two that had hub caps were a blue 1990 Honda Accord LX and a silver 1994 Toyota Camry LE. The hub caps were secured under the exposed lug nuts. I found 2 photos on Bing. I remember back in the 80's a lot of American cars had pop on hub caps that would come off on the road and we'd see them rolling off. The Japanese car makers learned to secure their hub caps under the lug nuts. My others either had steel (2002 Honda CR-V) or alloy wheels (2013 Sienna & 2014 Kia Sportage). I did have a set of Gorilla spline lug nuts when I got aftermarket wheels for the 02 CR-V from Discount Tires, don't remember any rust, had them for 12 yrs and even go saltwater fishing regularly around Galveston, Surfside, and Freeport. Hopefully the black chrome plating will hold up.

View attachment 1022271

View attachment 1022272
I meant with covers that covered the nuts too, just like on the MYP. For the most part, to me, it seems like it’s really just a “fashion” choice. If it’s generally visible, it’s a closed nut.

The base trim version of my 2010 Honda Fit came with wheel covers that covered the lug nuts. And those OEM lug nuts are open ended. Heck, just did a search for a base 2021 Civic on a Honda dealer’s website, so long as you get wheel covers (that cover the lug nuts), they have open lugs. NUT, WHEEL

And once more for a 2023 Toyota Camry… this shows up as compatible nuts from Toyota (I think it’s an official Toyota e-store). https://eparts-images.toyota.com/416203.SVG With type A being an open end based on that.

Anyway, I was only stating my own experiences. While a few Gorilla lug nuts did appear to rust on my 2010 Honda Fit, it didn’t stop me from buying the same Gorilla lugnuts for my HR-V and then the MYP. It mostly appeared to be cosmetic.

Reactions: Skavatar
Upvote 0

Did you buy these lug nuts? I just bought a set of 18” konig dekagram and looking for some black lug nuts to replace the oem lug nuts as well. Would love to know if these will fit.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
During delivery there was some curb rash (demo vehicle w/ 1300 miles odometer) on both right wheels. The service advisor helped me setup an appointment. I'm scheduled for Monday to get those two wheels replaced. I just did a test fit with one lug nut. It is a little smaller in diameter on the cone. Measuring against a ruler, the factory lug nuts are 1" wide and the black White Knight I bought are 7/8"

Might not be suitable for the factory Gemini wheels. But I've read many aftermarket wheels have smaller diameter holes, so might be ok for aftermarket wheels?

20240321_151759.jpg

20240321_151938.jpg

20240321_152350.jpg

20240321_152225.jpg

20240321_152239.jpg

Upvote 0
During delivery there was some curb rash (demo vehicle w/ 1300 miles odometer) on both right wheels. The service advisor helped me setup an appointment. I'm scheduled for Monday to get those two wheels replaced. I just did a test fit with one lug nut. It is a little smaller in diameter on the cone. Measuring against a ruler, the factory lug nuts are 1" wide and the black White Knight I bought are 7/8"

Might not be suitable for the factory Gemini wheels. But I've read many aftermarket wheels have smaller diameter holes, so might be ok for aftermarket wheels?

View attachment 1030440

View attachment 1030442

View attachment 1030443

View attachment 1030452

View attachment 1030453
I just bought a set of Konig Dekagram 18” wheels to replace my stock Gemini. I was about to order a same set that you posted on ebay but I found a similar set on Amazon with Prime shipping so I bought this set instead (easier to return if it doesn’t fit or low quality). Will report back about fitment on both my original gemini wheels and aftermarket ones

Upvote 0
just ordered these wider oem factory style lug nuts for the Gemini wheels

informative video on wide oem/factory lug nuts vs narrow aftermarket lug nuts, starting at 5:20 mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0
just received in the mail. tried one on, no issues with the 7/8" hex size. my appointment this week to replace the two right side Gemini wheels got rescheduled for next week. i'll post pics next week when I get the whole set of black lug nuts on and the center cap.

20240328_182710.jpg

7/8" hex socket, plenty of room.
20240328_182909.jpg

test fit, no issues. sits pretty flush with the face of the wheel.
20240328_183046.jpg

already have scratches on the spokes from the wheel cover....
20240328_183146.jpg

Upvote 0