Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torquing Lug Nuts with Torque Sticks 120ftlbs or 140?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have mobile service downstairs replacing a failed ASB sensor on my Y with 5k miles. If anybody is wondering, they don't use a torque stick or a torque wrench. I think they're using 7 ugga duggas and calling it good. This is why I work on my own vehicles.
I usually just tighten by hand and say, “yeah that feels tight”, out loud.
Does the trick 100% of the time 90% of the time.

• Funny
Reactions: ngng
I have mobile service downstairs replacing a failed ASB sensor on my Y with 5k miles. If anybody is wondering, they don't use a torque stick or a torque wrench. I think they're using 7 ugga duggas and calling it good. This is why I work on my own vehicles.
I had to wing it on torquing the lug nuts on an Isuzu low cab forward dump truck yesterday. I recently had the tires replaced and the driver told me one of the lug nuts was very loose. I found one lug nut almost off and another that was backed off a few turns, guessing the tire shop didn’t use enough uggas or duggas. The torque spec is 364 ft/lb, my largest torque wrench goes to 250. I torqued to 250 then hit each lug nut for three impacts with the Milwaukee M18 high torque impact wrench on its medium setting. I could see the lug nuts advance another few degrees, probably close enough. I was also using a SAE socket that was close enough, I don’t have a 41mm deep socket in my arsenal.

Another option is to use physics and a spring scale. In lieu of a spring scale you can also use a known weight, such as a barbell plate.

You can get 120 ft lbs (for example) by applying 120 lbs at an arm (wrench length) of 1 ft. Or, more conveniently, 60 lbs at 2’, or 30 lbs at 4’. You can get these arms and leverage pretty easily with a pipe slipped over a breaker bar and a tape measure. Simple math to get the weight needed for any given torque required (weight x arm = moment) moment in this case being torque.

I’ve been lambasted on other forums for daring something so foolhardy. But all a torque wrench does is try to emulate the above physics with springs and detents or whatever. This method is equally - or more - accurate given a reliable spring scale or known weight.

I've survived my whole life doing wheels like this and am still alive. Hand tightening with common lug wrench, which is around 1ft, and using almost bodyweight, approximates to the range of suggested torque.

If a car/wheelhub doesnt survive outside of a narrow band of torque, its probably not a good design. Thankfully, if one exists, ive certainly encountered it.

I had to wing it on torquing the lug nuts on an Isuzu low cab forward dump truck yesterday. I recently had the tires replaced and the driver told me one of the lug nuts was very loose. I found one lug nut almost off and another that was backed off a few turns, guessing the tire shop didn’t use enough uggas or duggas. The torque spec is 364 ft/lb, my largest torque wrench goes to 250. I torqued to 250 then hit each lug nut for three impacts with the Milwaukee M18 high torque impact wrench on its medium setting. I could see the lug nuts advance another few degrees, probably close enough. I was also using a SAE socket that was close enough, I don’t have a 41mm deep socket in my arsenal.

I hate working on heavy equipment. I am actively fighting my inner tool hoarder to not purchase anything about 1/2". There's a few 3/4 here and there because of various axle nuts...butttt no thanks!