Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outlet charger to control charging start and end times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

si22461

Jan 15, 2024
US
Hello everyone,

I have MYLR and charge it with a conventional 100v plug (220v with my house was cost prohibitive). I need to schedule start and finish times and the car cannot do both for some reason. Will using a simple outlet timer, similar to what you would use with xmas lights, be ok for the battery? I would like to charge at night, but I want to make sure having the power click on and off will not be bad for the car and battery.

Thanks!

Rob

That wouldn’t be recommended since those are not designed to use for such a heavy sustained load.

Also when the power cuts off the car will think there’s nothing plugged in and try to close the charge door.

I would suggest playing around with lowering the charge limit so it starts/ends when you want it to.

Upvote 0
The schedule function doesn't let me have a hard on/off time. It starts charging when it needs to so it can be ready for the set off time... I need both.
Ok, yea, the app/car won't do both hard start/stop times. Just curious why you need hard times for both.

I agree with E90alex that an outlet timer is a bad idea. I doubt that the car will try to close the charge door because it should still sense the charger inserted, but it will take the cutoff as a power loss. Not sure how that will affect the car's charging equipment over time. It's designed to start and stop charging itself.

Upvote 0
I would give it a whirl. Really no different than having a power failure which I am pretty sure the car will continue the charge once the power is restored. Just pull the plug manually from the wall and reconnect 10 minutes later to see what it does to confirm it will start to charge again. Something a simple as this will work fine as it is rated at 15a.

Upvote 0
I would give it a whirl. Really no different than having a power failure which I am pretty sure the car will continue the charge once the power is restored. Just pull the plug manually from the wall and reconnect 10 minutes later to see what it does to confirm it will start to charge again. Something a simple as this will work fine as it is rated at 15a.
Sure, it’s not your car. 🙂

Even though the charging process will tolerate power failures, that doesn’t mean it should happen every day. I don’t know for sure if it’s bad for the car, but neither does anyone else responding here. Try one of the other suggestions first.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

I have MYLR and charge it with a conventional 100v plug (220v with my house was cost prohibitive). I need to schedule start and finish times and the car cannot do both for some reason. Will using a simple outlet timer, similar to what you would use with xmas lights, be ok for the battery? I would like to charge at night, but I want to make sure having the power click on and off will not be bad for the car and battery.

Thanks!

Rob
I’ve never understood why we can’t tell the car to charge between certain hours. Seems like it would be so simple to send out a software update.

I too would advise against using a Christmas light timer.

I‘m sure if you look beyond Home Depot you’ll be able to find a commercial grade power timer that will safely do what you want to do. I’m thinking something like a pool filter timer, you could program both start and stop times.

Upvote 0
I too would advise against using a Christmas light timer.
Yes it can do Christmas lights but this is not what it is made for. The important part is it is rated at 15a, The Tesla 120v charger option draws 12a.

• HEAVY-DUTY DIGITAL TIMER: this digital countdown timer outlet is specially designed to complement heavy-duty appliances such as outdoor fountains; heaters or pool pumps.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

Thanks!

Rob
I wouldn't recommend using timer as they are not designed for 220V, i have a few timers for christmas lights and what not but i think the car has built in timer for setting perspective

Upvote 0