Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a Wall Connector be hooked into an old style “fuse” box?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yattep

Oct 21, 2023
Ohio
Hello all, new Model 3 owner here. To preface, I already have a mobile connector that works on a existing 220v outlet but I drive a lot of miles for work, having a wall connector for 48 amp charging would be great. My garage is separate from my house and has a really old fuse box rather than a breaker box like my house has. I was wondering if it’s still possible to connect a wall connector to it? Attached is a photo of it. Thanks!
IMG_2543.jpeg

This would be a stretch.
It depends on the size of the wire coming into the subpanel. Would need at least 6 or 8 gauge wire into the panel.
Trying to understand the loads here. Is there a "main range" in the garage? If that is not used then it would be available for the car charging.

Upvote 0
This would be a stretch.
It depends on the size of the wire coming into the subpanel. Would need at least 6 or 8 gauge wire into the panel.
Trying to understand the loads here. Is there a "main range" in the garage? If that is not used then it would be available for the car charging.
Thanks for your response. There isn’t anything over there that uses electricity other than my garage doors, the mobile charger, and the overhead lights fluorescent lights. Could the main range be what runs down to the 220v plug where I plug my car in just below the panel?

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response. There isn’t anything over there that uses electricity other than my garage doors, the mobile charger, and the overhead lights fluorescent lights. Could the main range be what runs down to the 220v plug where I plug my car in just below the panel?
If you don't have a range attached and you are using that outlet for charging, then you could look a the wire size coming into the panel and the wire size going to the outlet to see if you can increase amperage. I can't read the amperage of the fuses but may be 30 amps so you could charge at 24 amps/240 volts from the existing setup. What is the socket where you are plugging in your charger? What type of socket?
However, this is very old so may not be feasible to increase the power.

Upvote 0
If you don't have a range attached and you are using that outlet for charging, then you could look a the wire size coming into the panel and the wire size going to the outlet to see if you can increase amperage. I can't read the amperage of the fuses but may be 30 amps so you could charge at 24 amps/240 volts from the existing setup. What is the socket where you are plugging in your charger? What type of socket?
However, this is very old so may not be feasible to increase the power.
I’m currently plugged in to the NEMA 6-50 outlet just below the fuse box. My car gets 32 amps, voltage ranges between 234v and 238v don’t think I’ve seen it go above 240v, and usually stays at 7kW but sometimes displays 8kW for a brief period.

Upvote 0
I’m currently plugged in to the NEMA 6-50 outlet just below the fuse box. My car gets 32 amps, voltage ranges between 234v and 238v don’t think I’ve seen it go above 240v, and usually stays at 7kW but sometimes displays 8kW for a brief period.
I think that's as good as you are going to get without replacing the panel and wiring. (expensive)
I usually charge at 24 or 32 amps and find that I can get a full charge overnight with no problems.

Upvote 0
I think that's as good as you are going to get without replacing the panel and wiring. (expensive)
I usually charge at 24 or 32 amps and find that I can get a full charge overnight with no problems.
Yeah I seem to get plenty of charge I was mainly wondering because I’d like to get a second charger to keep in the car with me. I wanted to see if I could get a wall connector and just keep my current mobile charger in the car. I’ll just get another mobile one to keep with me. Appreciate your responses.

Upvote 0
Yeah I seem to get plenty of charge I was mainly wondering because I’d like to get a second charger to keep in the car with me. I wanted to see if I could get a wall connector and just keep my current mobile charger in the car. I’ll just get another mobile one to keep with me. Appreciate your responses.
You could plug a wall connector into that 6-50 socket or wire it to the socket wires and remove the socket.

Upvote 0
@mspohr suggestion to remove the outlet and just hardwire would be the way to go as this would give you a 40-amp charging rate. However, if the wiring is an old as that panel I would suggest against it. Given you are already getting 32-amps I suggest the extra 8-amps is not worth it.

In order to get a charge rate of 48-amp you would need to run a new 60-amp circuit. Note that the electrical code grandfathers a lot of things, but if you do something new you must comply with the new code. This may create a big expense.

Reactions: mspohr
Upvote 0