Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outdoor Outlet Installed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My EVSE installation instructions said not to attach to a class A breaker ie a GFI type. I assume there might be a problem with two GFI circuits monitoring the same circuit. Don't know if this might increase interruptions with the S, though.

I've seen nuisance tripping with "series GFI's", when a GFI receptacle is connected to the load side of another GFI receptacle. That said, thousands of new hair dryers with GFI plugs are used with GFI receptacles every day. I know that I've heard the Roadster's UMC was pretty sensitive to GFI circuits. So there's an increased chance of a nuisance trip or a ground fault indicator. Technically, there should be nothing wrong with it.

Is it ok to have the umc outside in light rain while charging? I'm referring to the big box with flashing lights.

Technically, according to the NEC, EVSE equipment cannot be cord-and-plug connected for outdoor locations. That said, I believe Tesla has engineered it to be reasonably weather-resistant (not weather-proof!)

Mine is outside and mostly uncovered. I haven't had any issues with the UMC getting wet in the rain. The charge port on the car is always under cover, however. The cover on the outlet box also keeps the plug out of the rain. I've attached a pic showing my set-up on a rainy day.

photo.JPG

I've seen nuisance tripping with "series GFI's", when a GFI receptacle is connected to the load side of another GFI receptacle. That said, thousands of new hair dryers with GFI plugs are used with GFI receptacles every day. ... Technically, there should be nothing wrong with it.
What I've seen with the Volt's EVSE is the following:
During boot-up, it sends a little current down the ground conductor for 1 to 2 seconds to test whether there is a secure and reliable ground present. If there is a GFCI in line that happens to be quite sensitive, it trips.

Mine is outside and mostly uncovered. I haven't had any issues with the UMC getting wet in the rain. The charge port on the car is always under cover, however. The cover on the outlet box also keeps the plug out of the rain. I've attached a pic showing my set-up on a rainy day.

View attachment 16986
The outdoor box is the same I am using except indoors, in my garage.
Question ... the plate on top, held on with four screws ... do you find it a bit odd that it has no seal ... water can run in the top? Did you mod yours to prevent that?

I need to get a plug installed within the next few months. Tesla Obviously suggested I contact solar city. However, I have an electrician that I use for most of my home projects. If I call him, what exactly Do I ask for? A NEMA 15 – 40? I do not have a garage. My car will be parked at the front of the driveway closest to the house. The wall at the front of the house is just above my dryer below in the basement, not very close to the circuit breaker box.

Jenni, you want a "14-50 outlet, on a 50A circuit breaker in a weatherproof RV style enclosure", as seen in the very first post on this thread. Home Depot actually sells those outlets / enclosures in most stores, Lowes might have it as well. The electrician will have to run wire/pipe in your basement or outside around the house to reach from the circuit breaker panel to close to where you park. The UMC that comes with the Model S is 18 feet long, so have him install the outet within 18' of the rear drivers side tail light.

I need to get a plug installed within the next few months. Tesla Obviously suggested I contact solar city. However, I have an electrician that I use for most of my home projects. If I call him, what exactly Do I ask for? A NEMA 15 – 40? I do not have a garage. My car will be parked at the front of the driveway closest to the house. The wall at the front of the house is just above my dryer below in the basement, not very close to the circuit breaker box.
Sorry to turn the question around, but I suggest you invite the electrician to take a look at your existing home wiring, show him the Tesla supplied UMC, and see what he recommends.

If you do not yet have the car and the UMC, show the electrician this: http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/universalmobileconnector_nema_14-50.pdf

Aaron,

I would shut off the 14-50 before plugging or unplugging the UMC. RV parks have the circuit breaker mounted next to the 14-50 outlet to facilitate this. Is the circuit breaker in your installation in a convienent enough location to allow this?

GSP
So, what if the breaker box is clear on the other side of the house down in the basement? I don't think I want to run all over the place every time I park or drive off.
Could this solve the problem:
Connecticut Electric 60 Amp RV Panel with 50A Receptacle, Breakers & GFCI Duplex-CESMPSC55GRHR at The Home Depot

Last edited:
Thanks, Bill and Mitch. I found that on HD's site and will work with my guy and give him those specs!

Jenni, you can also go with this one, this is what I installed outside: 50, 30, 20 amp Surface Mount RV Power Outlet Box - RV Park Supplies
It has the advantage of the lid opening "up" and then you can mostly close it over the 14-50 while its plugged in, it also has a TT-30 which is a 30A 120V outlet for those "pop up" RV trailers (could come in handy one day), it's about the same price as well, but you need to order it and they ship it to you. They are in NY, so the shipping will take a few days before you get it.

I finally got my quote for my outdoor outlet. Does $1300 sound steep to anyone? They are running along the full front wall of the house from the main panel over to the driveway side.

250 feet of underground electrical #6/3 wire is $700 on eBay, $850 from Home Depot. $1300 doesn't sound all that high if my estimate of your house width is correct.

250 feet of underground electrical #6/3 wire is $700 on eBay, $850 from Home Depot. $1300 doesn't sound all that high if my estimate of your house width is correct.
Oh, wow, 250'! My house width is 35'. We are going from one side of the basement to another, inside the house until they come through for the outdoor outlet nearest my driveway. Sorry if I was being confusing.

Oh, wow, 250'! My house width is 35'. We are going from one side of the basement to another, inside the house until they come through for the outdoor outlet nearest my driveway. Sorry if I was being confusing.

Okay, my vision of your setup was very different. $1300 seems high for what you describe. I paid $900 in total for running a #6/3 line over the wide garage door, running a 120 V line for a four outlet receptacle next to the 14-50, and running a second 120V line for an outdoor light plus a switch for the light. I supplied the light ($250), so that's not included in the $900. Two electricians took about ninety minutes to complete the work.