Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OUCH! - Calif. DMV registration renewal fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And note, from a fellow Native Texan who chose CA for substantial reasons, you cannot deduct the price of your trade-in from a new car to diminish the taxes paid on the new car. They need their taxes and they get them. I am okay with that. Texas did not give me enough for all that property tax we paid.

Yep.. that's why I'm trading in now. Cheaper sales tax in Texas and the break on trade-in value. Makes up for missing out on the $2500 CA rebate.

And I hear you on the TX property tax. I get reminded of that one every month. :(

registration fee $70
license fee $700
weight fee $0
special plate fee $38
county/district fees $11
owner responsibility fee $0

total $819

That's not too bad...GA was same with their Ad Valorem tax before they converted over to one time payment...problem now is if you get rid of your car too soon they it really hurts you vs. amortizing it out as long as possible...and we also have $200/year EV fee as well now....as well as no state tax incentives...talk about ouch!

HILARIOUS!

Here in Arizona, you can get a 5 year EV registration for under $200. Now I remember why I left California.

MN was very similar to CA. I believe I paid $750 in MN. For AZ, I thought I heard the lady at the DMV wrong. She said $50. Certain that I heard her wrong, I asked her if she said $1500. She says, "No, $50. You can do two years for $72". Talk about a pleasant surprise! And HOV access to boot. It was an awesome welcome to Arizona.

Plus in Arizona free access to HOV lane

... and without any hideous stickers!

- - - Updated - - -

MN was very similar to CA. I believe I paid $750 in MN. For AZ, I thought I heard the lady at the DMV wrong. She said $50. Certain that I heard her wrong, I asked her if she said $1500. She says, "No, $50. You can do two years for $72". Talk about a pleasant surprise! And HOV access to boot. It was an awesome welcome to Arizona.

Yup. I had a vanity plate, so my registration was a little bit higher.

in NH my first registration renewal fee was something around $1200 on my 85D, I forget the exact amount. Does CA charge excise tax on top of reg fees?

See OUCH! - Calif. DMV registration renewal fee - Page 2

It's called the Vehicle License Fee. It works in a similar way to NH and ME, but depreciation stops in year 11, rather than year 6 and the starting and ending percentages are lower.

Looks like over 10 years:
ME > NH > MA> CA.
(MA has higher front loading, but declines faster than NH).

For a $10k to $10.2k car in CA, the amounts are:
116 105 93 81 70 58 46 35 29 23 17.
I think it seems to be a percentage + $1. Because it's the "1.15% table" but the Year 1 price never seems to be 1.15% of the bottom of the range.
The above adds up to about 6.56% over 10 years.

Maine's Vehicle Excise Tax rates have been in place since 1929. A referendum vote to change it was soundly defeated (because the people buying new cars were the ones who benefited, when it's people on low incomes, with older vehicles who are most affected.)

Last edited:
AZ for five years registration is $125.00. Even though we do not have the $2,500.00 CA kinda tax rebate, I think the AZ registration fee more than makes up for it in the long run. Plus we have a low sales tax rate for EV's. Different states have different incentives, I wonder which state is best over a 10 year period??

Picked up my new plate and paid for my registration at the same time, 515 bucks. not as bad as I thought it would be!
Im assuming it'll be less next year.
I don't mind paying fees and taxes as long as it's spent wisely by the state. (this is California, it won't be spent wisely, but I like to put on a blindfold and assume I live in a fairyland)