Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OTHER EV’S SUCK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the MYP (2023). Wife has the 2023 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL. I drive her car a lot. Obviously when we are together. On my own, the MYP. The Ioniq 5 is a fine car. But I much prefer my MYP. The interface and tech is one major reason. Also, how it drives. Much sportier than Ioniq 5, which does have a smoother suspension, and smoother drive, but very dull to me. And of course they both have instant acceleration and torque being dual motor EVs. And the Hyundai infotainment and tech is ancient, traditional car like stuff (not surprisingly). My wife and I are happy with our arrangement. Works for us. She only drove my Tesla twice. She finds it overwhelming. I am OK with this, I don’t want to over impose and overwhelm her. All good

My next car will probably be the Rivian R3. I will always own an EV but Tesla has been going the wrong way for me for a few years now. I have FSD and I would pay to be rid of it and go back to radar autopilot. I just want the simple things like being able to control the windshield wipers and lights.
You can turn off FSD you know.

So I drove a 2021 Kona electric and a 2022 Prius and is it just me or do these cars suck. Complex, combersome, lack any cool factor, no way are these cars comparable to a Tesla…..not even close.

People associate these cars as an example of electric vehicles and they are reluctant to try Tesla. Seriously it’s like night and day comparison.
I drive a Kona EV.

It has configurable regen.
It has no adaptive cruise so the cruise control always works (and it's very good at holding speeds up and down hills, so I use it a lot).

The above are why I'll never buy a Tesla. (Having service centers within reasonable distance is an advantage as well, but I think Tesla's nearest being 200 miles away wouldn't stop me. It should get a bit better with Londonderry, NH.)
The 2nd is why I'm not getting another HyunKia, because they have ACC with no dumb cruise option.

Dials for temperature and fan, and buttons for various heating settings. Combined with steering wheel controls I don't have to use the touchscreen while driving, other than limited taps in Android Auto if navigating.
I can open the glove box with a handle on the glove box.

But it is weak in some key EV ways:
Slow DCFC. Not Bolt slow at least.
CCS, and NACS adapters won't be available until 2025Q1 at the earliest. (CCS has been OK for me, but V3 Supercharger access would have helped at times).
The app doesn't allow you to adjust the max charge percentage.
... and in the car you have to turn it on, wait for it finish linking to Bluetooth, hit EV, tap on charge limits, max %, and then adjust, which is clunky.
No heat pump (USA).
No preconditioning of the battery for DCFC unless you have the limited battery heating setting on, which would waste energy in the cold most of the time.
Charge port is front driver's side, adding a bit of time for me when home charging.
No help with charge planning on long journeys. I have to use ABRP.
(Also, nearest charger display is useless as it includes places you can't charge)

Reactions: jbeezely4051
In our household, in addition to the Tesla 3, we also have a Kia Soul EV and a Hyundai Ioniq 5. Love them both.
I’m not in the market right now, but next time I’ll be looking at the the Hyundai Ioniq *. Other than the charging infrastructure sounds like it’s heads and shoulders above Tesla.

I charge at home, the charging infrastructure isn’t that important to me.

I’m not in the market right now, but next time I’ll be looking at the the Hyundai Ioniq *. Other than the charging infrastructure sounds like it’s heads and shoulders above Tesla.

I charge at home, the charging infrastructure isn’t that important to me.

I wouldn't say the I5 is head and shoulders better...if at all. I think my Tesla has been more reliable than my EV6 and the software is generations ahead. If we had to choose the Kia or the Tesla equivalents, my wife and I would both choose the Tesla.

I've switched to EV since 2016-owned Leaf and now own 2017 Bolt & 2023 MY (MY was traded in with 2020 MY which was traded in for 2018 M3). I tell people EV means 3 factors: battery, OTA software update & charging station. Bolt was bought while back when my son was in college-it lost so much value-so keep it as commute car. When you say Tesla has no challenge-they'll call you fanboy.:cool:
Maybe the used Bolt's are not worth much for resale, but my friend who has one of the early vintage models like yours was ecstatic to get a brand-new battery last year due to the recall - so more than satisfied to keep using it for years to come on his commute (which is what he's always done with it...)

Reactions: zoomer0056
We have a ‘23 MYP and just took delivery of a ‘23 Ford Lightning XLT ER. The current incentives on the Ford made it a real bargain. It’s really smooth, quiet, and comfortable. And we can use the Tesla charging network now too, although we always charge at home (solar panels). The Tesla is certainly more efficient, but the Ford is really nice to drive. And as the president said, “this sucker’s really quick!”

We have a ‘23 MYP and just took delivery of a ‘23 Ford Lightning XLT ER. The current incentives on the Ford made it a real bargain. It’s really smooth, quiet, and comfortable. And we can use the Tesla charging network now too, although we always charge at home (solar panels). The Tesla is certainly more efficient, but the Ford is really nice to drive. And as the president said, “this sucker’s really quick!”
Just watched a portion of the out of spec video race between two F150 Lightnings. Don't run it down to really low state of charge. They got stranded with 2 miles left on the range indicator.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
My next car will probably be the Rivian R3. I will always own an EV but Tesla has been going the wrong way for me for a few years now. I have FSD and I would pay to be rid of it and go back to radar autopilot. I just want the simple things like being able to control the windshield wipers and lights.
Or u might miss Tesla once u get another ev, Tesla did open up its tech for other car manufacturers to copy—that says a lot.

Odd take by the OP. I feel like just about any EV is superior to most ICE cars as daily transportation, so in that sense I feel like very few EVs actually suck. I love my MYP but other EVs have a lot of good points as well.

My EV experience is limited to my own family:
-Wife's Volvo C40: Drivetrain smoothness is on par with Tesla with better ride and slightly quieter. Low range but enough for our use case. Fairly classis Volvo interior design.

-Mom's fat etron: Pretty luxurious with nice air suspension and super quiet inside. Smooth EV drivetrain. Even less range than the Volvo but my mom didn't need much. I don't like the Audi MMI system though. Got t-boned and totaled last year, but protected my mom very well.

My mom just ordered a BMW iX50 after I took her test driving a few non-Tesla EVs over the weekend (she had been out of the country for several months right after the etron was gone). It should be a great car and I look forward to some seat time in it from time to time.

Reactions: pnwadventures