Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OTA updates. Friend or foe? Who's car is it any way?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you did want to update was it one install? Or multiple incremental updates?
Previously, if I skipped an update it only installed whatever was the latest for my car…there was no incremental approach. Don’t know if that’s still true but I suspect so. I’m still on v2022.20.8 awaiting the much-anticipated AutoPark and Summon functions to return to subsequent software. When that happens and I actually update, I expect no need to do any of the incrementals.

• Love
Reactions: Tha_Ape
I look forward to every update. Some times when I know an update is out there, I go to my 2022 MSLR and anxiously hit the software page. Then I watch as it teases me with "checking for updates...". More often than not I am disappointed with "your car has the latest update ".

I will never go back to Microsoft Bob.
1000028687.jpg

I look forward to every update. Some times when I know an update is out there, I go to my 2022 MSLR and anxiously hit the software page. Then I watch as it teases me with "checking for updates...". More often than not I am disappointed with "your car has the latest update ".

I will never go back to Microsoft Bob.
View attachment 1032581
Didn’t “Bob” replace the much-abhorred “Clippy?”

• Funny
Reactions: zoomer0056
Previously, if I skipped an update it only installed whatever was the latest for my car…there was no incremental approach. Don’t know if that’s still true but I suspect so. I’m still on v2022.20.8 awaiting the much-anticipated AutoPark and Summon functions to return to subsequent software. When that happens and I actually update, I expect no need to do any of the incrementals.
Lol, I stayed ar 2022.20.9 for awhile, but blinker cameras, and location of nav directions annoyed me. I, too wanted to keep radar, but after riding in a friend's car with fsd (radar was turned off for fsd drivers awhile back), I considered it good enough and not worth missing out on all the new features and safety updates (they changed how airbags react based on crash data and other things).

I happened to KNOW radar would be turned off if I update because I followed forums closely, but a majority of people didn't and didn't even get the option of declining it.

I happened to KNOW radar would be turned off if I update because I followed forums closely, but a majority of people didn't and didn't even get the option of declining it.
Yeah, that was one of the things I missed back then, wasn't paying attention. Am still a bit bitchy about it (if only because I paid for a car with radar and it was disabled on me but no rebate.)

I now put off updates until I determine the benefit is worth it. I'm at day 149 at the moment but expect to be updated when the car goes in for service on day 155. Among the things I'll get will be the recalls so I can't imagine the SC won't update me. If it was just for a screaming goat, they may let me decide. Recalls are a whole other type of update and not as easily ignored by the SC.

Yeah, that was one of the things I missed back then, wasn't paying attention. Am still a bit bitchy about it (if only because I paid for a car with radar and it was disabled on me but no rebate.)
I’m very glad for this forum and those who led the charge by upgrading immediately to v2022.20.9, the enfant terrible that castrated existing radars. I then decided to stay on v2022.20.8 and forego the “amazing, incredible new and wonderful features of…wait for it…CrippleVision, or maybe that wasn’t the actual name and just the result. Still on that version, today exactly 600 days from install.
I now put off updates until I determine the benefit is worth it. I'm at day 149 at the moment but expect to be updated when the car goes in for service on day 155. Among the things I'll get will be the recalls so I can't imagine the SC won't update me. If it was just for a screaming goat, they may let me decide. Recalls are a whole other type of update and not as easily ignored by the SC.
I’ve had two service appointments, both mobile, on my now ancient software version. The tech noticed, asked about it, understood, and completed his tasks without further reference. Still rocking v2022.20.8.

What am I awaiting? Reliable AutoPark, Dumb Summon, and Smart Summon to magically return and thereby deliver UncrippledVision. Those 3 features work quite well on my car as it and I deem them important to me. It sounds as if progress is being made, and when delivered I’ll update. Yeah, a little bitter about not being able to trade in my paid-for-and-functioning radar unit; fairness would dictate at least 5000 free Supercharger miles or some such gesture.

Reactions: kavyboy
because I paid for a car with radar
Absolutely. I don't understand how this hasn't caused a much bigger outcry.
then decided to stay on v2022.20.8
I'm still there too. But was denied warranty service and also denied the drunk latch recall on the grounds that I had not complied with warranty conditions.

I have now started to notice some stuff inexplicably not working. I added premium connectivity subscription which showed as active in app but never activates in car even after several resets.

It was just one install.
Interesting. When, at long last, I went from V10 to V11 the update route was multi-step

2022.36.20 to 2022.44.25.5 (V10.69.3.1 to V10.69.25) was done on April 9, 2023

April 12, I got the update available notice to 2022.45.15 (V11.3.6)

April 16, I downloaded that update.

April 19, I got the notice the NA.2022.44.14515 was ready for download and it was downloaded and installed on May 1, 2023.

Each download takes ~an hour of my time (driving to strong wifi, download time, drive home). Last spring, having got tired of driving to get updates, I did the NA update by phone hotspot download which took well over an hour partly due to LTE speed and partly due to me not realizing my phone data limit warning of 5GB had been met and I had to override it to finish the download. I was on a plan that gave me the data for the year all at one time so had set up a 5GB limit for each month. Since I only use 1 - 3GB per month, I had enough excess to do the download, but forgot I had the limit in place and didn't know the NAV update would take me over my limit since it was the first of the month, I wasn't expecting to hit the limit at all.

The fact that tesla refuses to let us know the size of the download files makes if very hard for people without wifi at home to keep their cars updated if they don't have very large data plans. I now have a new plan of 5GB per month, which I learned from last year cannot be used to hotspot downloads without risking going over and incurring excess data charges.

For the NAV update I sat in the car because I hadn't brought my keycard with me (and didn't want to leave the car unlocked with my phone in it.) That turned out to be good since I had to override the data limit. Even if I had remembered my keycard, I'm still stuck for an hour without the use of my phone so even if I got back to my apartment, I have no idea when the download has finished and I have to go back to the car to start the install.

So neither method of updating is convenient which is why I put off updating as long as possible (and hope that the SC will do this round of updates for me.)

Interesting. When, at long last, I went from V10 to V11 the update route was multi-step

2022.36.20 to 2022.44.25.5 (V10.69.3.1 to V10.69.25) was done on April 9, 2023

April 12, I got the update available notice to 2022.45.15 (V11.3.6)

April 16, I downloaded that update.

April 19, I got the notice the NA.2022.44.14515 was ready for download and it was downloaded and installed on May 1, 2023.

Each download takes ~an hour of my time (driving to strong wifi, download time, drive home). Last spring, having got tired of driving to get updates, I did the NA update by phone hotspot download which took well over an hour partly due to LTE speed and partly due to me not realizing my phone data limit warning of 5GB had been met and I had to override it to finish the download. I was on a plan that gave me the data for the year all at one time so had set up a 5GB limit for each month. Since I only use 1 - 3GB per month, I had enough excess to do the download, but forgot I had the limit in place and didn't know the NAV update would take me over my limit since it was the first of the month, I wasn't expecting to hit the limit at all.

The fact that tesla refuses to let us know the size of the download files makes if very hard for people without wifi at home to keep their cars updated if they don't have very large data plans. I now have a new plan of 5GB per month, which I learned from last year cannot be used to hotspot downloads without risking going over and incurring excess data charges.

For the NAV update I sat in the car because I hadn't brought my keycard with me (and didn't want to leave the car unlocked with my phone in it.) That turned out to be good since I had to override the data limit. Even if I had remembered my keycard, I'm still stuck for an hour without the use of my phone so even if I got back to my apartment, I have no idea when the download has finished and I have to go back to the car to start the install.

So neither method of updating is convenient which is why I put off updating as long as possible (and hope that the SC will do this round of updates for me.)
Even with no wifi you will still get updates over LTE, Just a lot less of them (only the 'greatest hits' in Tesla's eyes). While I was abstaining from updates, my car would still get about 4 updates a year downloaded and ready to install over LTE (I had wifi off during that time). I just ignored the install nag for about 2 weeks until they would go away. I did have premium connectivity though, but I doubt that makes a difference.

Even with no wifi you will still get updates over LTE, Just a lot less of them (only the 'greatest hits' in Tesla's eyes). While I was abstaining from updates, my car would still get about 4 updates a year downloaded and ready to install over LTE (I had wifi off during that time). I just ignored the install nag for about 2 weeks until they would go away. I did have premium connectivity though, but I doubt that makes a difference.
I too have premium connectivity and have received at least 2 OTA. And I'm sure those two also installed themselves since we arrived at the car with the notice the car had been updated on the screen. But I have been informed on TMC that that did not happen.

As a result, I've not updated my car since Nov 1 because I figured the December update would surely be pushed out by LTE due to it being a recall. Then I was sure the offered update 2023.44.30.14 would be pushed out via LTE since it included both updates. So far nothing except yesterday the offer of 44.30.14 was pulled from my car, 44.30.30 was offered, that offer was pulled and 3 hours later it was reoffered. Now I await 44.30.30 to be pushed to me via LTE but honestly don't expect it to happen. We are over 150 days since my last update and on day 155 the car is booked at a service centre and will be updated, either by them to clear my VIN off the recall list, or by me because we have decided to try out V12.3.2.1 (the version offered to me at this time but I expect V12.3.3. will be offered very soon, it is just that my car needs the recalls first (and possibly the NAV update.)