Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering my new baby. What should I watch out for upon pickup? What accessories would you get right away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d hold off on the accessories until you actually have the car and live with it for awhile. Too many times the accessories end up not getting used and collecting dust. Good luck!
Truth. I still have the mudflaps I never installed. I just don't mind the slight wear from debris on the lower fender quarters enough to bother. :) The center console organizer was a must for me though - I use it every day. Oh, and the power frunk kit - after living without it for a while that was a no-brainer.

Unless you want some inconvenience and extra expense, you'll wantsome kind of home charging device, either a wall charger or mobile charger. I went with the mobile charger, both for the cost and the ability to take it with me when traveling or visiting friends. You'll need access to a 240v outlet, or you can get one installed. Not the fastest, but you can count on about 25 miles per hour of charging, and for overnight charging that's usually enough.

Not an accessory, but check with your electricity provider for special plans or rates. My provider, for example, has a plan where all EV charging is FREE between the hours of 7PM and 1AM. That's major.

I agree on the floor mats. I got a set of all-weather ones from the jungle store, and they are great. About $79 for the front and back. Get mats right away.

Down the road, you might want to consider a roof sunshade. I'm in hot Texas, and even though tinted, the heat coming through the glass roof in the summer is annoying. I would have much preferred a less-tinted roof and some kind of built-in shade (how about that electrically-dimming thing some cars have?).

I also got a tempered glass screen protector which I applied immediately upon taking off the temporary plastic one to keep from getting dust and fingerprints under it. Cheap protection.

The console and front bin inserts are also very handy ... both are deep holes and hard to organize otherwise.

I also got a white armrest cover to match my interior. That black armrest just didn't fit in, and the cover provides a little padding.

Last but not least I got a wheel cover kit, since I removed the aero covers first thing. The kits gives you the center caps and covers for the lug nuts, and it's cheap about about $17 at the jungle store.

Last edited:
I went with the mobile charger, both for the cost and the ability to take it with me when traveling or visiting friends.

Just want to mention that all-in, the mobile charger costs just as much or maybe even a little more than a hardwired EVSE like the wall connector.

There are many posts about this already, but a 240v outlet for charging requires a GFCI breaker for code compliance (in most areas) which is rather expensive. Also, the typical low-cost 240v receptacle is not a good/safe choice for EV charging... you should get a high quality receptacle from Hubbell or Bryant - these are also expensive.

Once you add those costs to your mobile connector, it's about the same price or more than a good hardwired device. Then it'll *still* have more potential points of failure, be subject to nuisance breaker trips (due to the GFCI breaker + the mobile connectors built-in GFCI), and it'll offer slower charging than the hardwired device.

When I bought my Model 3, they were still throwing in the mobile connector for free. I'm sure there are plenty of people that find uses for them while traveling to friend's houses or RV parks, but mine is sitting in the under-trunk and has never been used (not even once).

In summary, if anyone reading this is making the decision between mobile connector and hardwired connector, hardwired wins.

Once you add those costs to your mobile connector, it's about the same price or more than a good hardwired device.
In Sept 2021 I had a new 60amp circuit breaker added to my existing electrical panel, about 25 feet of conduit ran, electrical wire pulled and the Tesla wall charger installed for $1000. Add the cost of the Tesla Wall Charger $500 and the convenience of charging at home and I was happy to install it. My Model 3 came with the mobile connector and I have used it during a week stay at a hotel. I found a parking space in the parking garage with a 15amp 115v household outlet and let it charge for 12 hours at 3 mph.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Have one mobile connector that came with the car. Plugged into a 14-50 outlet at home and it hasn’t been moved since then.

Bought a second mobile connector because I was paranoid… sitting in the garage on a shelf in its soft case and still hasn’t been used.

Bought a wall connector because I got eager shopping… still sitting in the box… future state TBD 😂

Pickup scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Went with the white on white. I'm less nervous about the interior after watching a bunch of YouTube videos of stains being cleaned up. I'll be keeping some baby wipes and microfiber cloths in the glovebox so I'm always prepared to catch coffee drips quickly.

Somebody here mentioned a great trick regarding the jean dye transfer. They said to rub the jeans on a piece of plain, white, printer paper and see if dye transfers. Sure enough, my Levi's turned the paper blue, but my Old Navy's didn't. So, I'm going to be getting some very strange looks the next time I go shopping for jeans! :)

• Funny
Reactions: father_of_6