Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering Connectivity after trial?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Connectivity subscription expires in a few weeks? What do you think or who has the $9.99 monthly or $99.00 yearly subscription and is it worth it over the "standard" setup we all get from Tesla?

Oh heck yes!
  • For the live traffic and reroutes.
  • For the satellite view on the maps.
  • I use the internet browser often, parked drinking coffee in the morning.
  • Remote notification if car alarm goes off.
  • Live view on Sentry cam.
  • Knowing where your car is. Friday wife on way, 3 minutes out I headed down from 5th floor.
  • Software updates if you don't have Wi-Fi.
  • Video and Music streaming.
If you don't want those features a 1997 Toyota Corolla is in your future.

1714343380148.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • For the reroutes.
  • Knowing where your car is. Friday wife on way, 3 minutes out I headed down from 5th floor.
Navigation still does traffic based routing without premium connectivity. It just won’t show the traffic colors on the map.

Location still shows without premium connectivity.

Premium connectivity does not give you software updates over LTE. It still makes you connect to wifi. Tesla might occasionally push an update over LTE but if they do it would be done with or without premium connectivity.

Browser and music/video streaming can be used with tethering to your phone if so desired (except the Tesla music streaming service). Depends how often you use it as to whether that would be an inconvenience or not.

Upvote 0
Oh heck yes!
  • For the live traffic and reroutes.
  • For the satellite view on the maps.
  • I use the internet browser often, parked drinking coffee in the morning.
  • Remote notification if car alarm goes off.
  • Live view on Sentry cam.
  • Video and Music streaming.

View attachment 1042709
Lolol, thanks for the imput and I'll never own a Corolla!

Upvote 0
Navigation still does traffic based routing without premium connectivity. It just won’t show the traffic colors on the map.

Location still shows without premium connectivity.

Premium connectivity does not give you software updates over LTE. It still makes you connect to wifi. Tesla might occasionally push an update over LTE but if they do it would be done with or without premium connectivity.

Browser and music/video streaming can be used with tethering to your phone if so desired (except the Tesla music streaming service). Depends how often you use it as to whether that would be an inconvenience or not.
Thanks for the imput

Upvote 0
I experimented with tethering and then spent $99 to renew for the year. I just plunked down 10s of thousands of dollars for the car another $99 isn’t even a rounding error.

Sure. It's only $1,000 if you own the car for a decade. I don't operate that way though - if I don't value something I won't buy it. Doesn't matter how much money I have or how inexpensive the purchase.

You can use existing streaming services through you phone and Bluetooth, and the steering wheel still allows the same level of control.

As was mentioned, navigation directions still account for traffic. I prefer vector tiles on my driving maps. You can still check the car's location in the app.

Remote viewing the cameras is about the only thing I'd value for premium, but it's still not worth paying for.

Upvote 0
Sure. It's only $1,000 if you own the car for a decade. I don't operate that way though - if I don't value something I won't buy it. Doesn't matter how much money I have or how inexpensive the purchase.

You can use existing streaming services through you phone and Bluetooth, and the steering wheel still allows the same level of control.

As was mentioned, navigation directions still account for traffic. I prefer vector tiles on my driving maps. You can still check the car's location in the app.

Remote viewing the cameras is about the only thing I'd value for premium, but it's still not worth paying for.
You are entitled to an opinion, of course; the OP asked for input and I provided mine (wasn’t really addressing your comments).

Upvote 0
A 1997 Corolla was faultlessly reliable; its controls were ergonomically designed; it would neither slow down nor speed up unpredictably; its wipers worked well and could be operated without taking your eyes off the road; it would not steer you into the path of an overtaking vehicle. An electric version of that could be a hot seller.

Upvote 0
I'll let mine expire and see if there is anything I miss.
If you aren’t streaming music you prob won’t miss anything…but if you are streaming music you need to tether your car through your phone which becomes either another step each time you use the car or you can set up an automation rule on your phone to enable hotspot when you open the car. That’s what I did but it’s clunky compared to the seamless experience of having LTE.

Upvote 0