Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order now or wait a few weeks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been waiting to place an order for the Model S. One of my sources told me I should wait to place my order, same source told me to wait last year and I missed out on AP2 for my model X. I received my X on 9/26 and AP2 was announced in early Oct. I know there's nothing official out there and Tesla doesn't change details depending on the model year. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks there could be something new thats announced soon that we should wait to place an order.

Maybe its safe to place an order now because my estimated delivery is in November, any changes that may happen would be included for my model?

I know the S75 will be discontinued soon so I want to place that order before it happens and receive the car before 2018 so I can get the tax credit this next year.

Decisions decisions

Coming from someone who took delivery on an inventory car 2 weeks before AP2 was announced, the real answer is there is no way to know.

Rumors are floating there is a minor refresh coming soon (maybe interior?) but in reality no one knows.

Just like smart phones and TVs, waiting is always going to get you newer and better stuff. The key is to buy when you want the car and to be happy with it even if a newer/cooler thing comes out soon thereafter.

Unlike with the AP2 refresh, any upcoming changes will likely be more minor and thus not cause as much FOMO. If it were me, I'd order now as the sooner you get the car, the sooner you get to enjoy it! But that's me. If you'll regret it - you can always wait!

I'm in the same boat as you but I prefer to wait for some more time to see what's in store.
Well, actually I'm not exactly in the same boat as my current lease on Nissan Leaf is ending in Feb 2018 but I want to get my hands on the Model S before that if I can.
The only reason I'd want to order now (an inventory, not a custom) is to get the 0.99% financing that ends in Sept. If you're financing, I'd suggest you get this offer before it expires. Also, there are some good deals to be had on Model S 90D (only 10K more than a 75) with AP 2.5. Good luck!

I think at this point, because new custom orders won't be delivered until November, you are safe to order. I wouldn't expect any last minute December change. But with Tesla, the only constant is change. Fortunately, that change is typically for the better as the company keeps innovating and improving these cars. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

You could always order now and set your preferred delivery date to December. That way you are in the que and should be able to take delivery before the new year and also get any newly announced changes. You would also have the option to change to an inventory car during that timeframe if a similar one comes available.

Reactions: No ICE
I took delivery of my S75 in June. Within a couple of weeks or something, they upgraded the DUs and shaved off a full second on the 0-60 time. I know I got what I paid for and love the car as-is, but that still stung. I was driving a paid off car and had no real deadline. Wait if you can.

Rumors are floating there is a minor refresh coming soon (maybe interior?) but in reality no one knows.

This is what troubles me a little. I own an early 2013 model S. I desperately want to get one with adaptive cruise control (life saver in stop and go traffic). But worried that Tesla will upgrade the interiors right after i take delivery of a new car.
Would like to see Tesla upgrade the interiors. Its definitely a little dated now

I wanna say they start producing the following year model around late October of the previous year. So a November delivery should be a 2018 year model.

That's typical of other manufacturers, but I'm not sure about Tesla. My 2016 MS75D was made in November 2016. Going by your theory, it should be a 2017, but it isn't. I'm thinking Tesla goes strictly by calendar years, but I could be wrong.

Middle of October is the "usual" time for new stuff. Refresh/Facelift Model S was mid summer. The tactic of placing a late delivery order seems logical. Remember, you must place the order before December 31 to $1000 off. As a current owner, you will get free lifetime charging if you order by December 31. As much as I would love your referral credit-you can refer yourself. Tesla does go by calendar years.

That's typical of other manufacturers, but I'm not sure about Tesla. My 2016 MS75D was made in November 2016. Going by your theory, it should be a 2017, but it isn't. I'm thinking Tesla goes strictly by calendar years, but I could be wrong.
this is correct.Tesla goes by calendar year not 'fake' auto dealer years trying to get a jump on the next year to get buyers in the summer or whatever reason

I wanna say they start producing the following year model around late October of the previous year. So a November delivery should be a 2018 year model.
Not really. They usually go by production year unless they don't think they can deliver by Dec 31st especially if they end up having to sell the car as inventory. We ordered last year and got December delivery. The reservation VIN was a 2016. The car went into production late (~mid December), and the reservation VIN changed to a 2017 one. They delivered December 31st, so barely made it. November delivery is not likely going to have a 2018 VIN unless you're ordering for overseas.

Does it make sense to wait till 2018 to take delivery to reduce risk of depreciation? Say one decides to sell the car in 2-3 years, then wouldn't the Jan 2018 car fetch a lot more than the Dec 2017 car?
Depends on the consumer's Tesla Knowledge. If people do a little research, they will realize the year model doesn't necessarily represent much - so many changes are being made - a good thing - that you'd really have to inquire about the build date to look at specifics.

Just look at a 2017 January S75 build compared to an August 2017 S75 build - I'd say pretty SIGNIFICANT changes, yet they are the same model year. A site that keeps track of the changes in each build would be nice. If anything, Tesla should make it easier for consumers to research what exactly is in the vehicle they are purchasing without having to go through a maze to figure it out.

Two years down the line - a person buying a 2017 will probably not know the drastic difference between a January vs August build.

That aside - Tesla should be encouraged to continue making changes/improvements on the Model S. They shouldn't hold back.

The semi reveal has been pushed back to October 26, and Tesla has a history of Model S changes in October as well. My recommendation would be to place the order just before then to lock in the current price book. Then you have a chance of getting new stuff at the old price.

Reactions: Nosken
@mkhalasi85 I am in exactly the same boat as you. Thanks for asking this question.

I'm ready to custom order now, I have a referral, I know exactly what I want, and the options and price of the car are perfect for me right NOW. I'm even excited about the new "bucket" rear seats as the old rear seats needed that adjustment for comfort IMHO. A lot of the old PUP features are now standard...the current MS cars are the finest and best bang for the buck they have ever been.

So I literally sit here waiting to pull the trigger. Wife and I said let's order 1st week of Oct to see if anything new happens with the start of the new FY...but I also fear we're risking a huge price increase, or radical tech changes and option changes that will cost me the vehicle features I really like, or much more $$ to get what I want.

I really wish I could see a month into the future.

@mkhalasi85 I am in exactly the same boat as you. Thanks for asking this question.

I'm ready to custom order now, I have a referral, I know exactly what I want, and the options and price of the car are perfect for me right NOW. I'm even excited about the new "bucket" rear seats as the old rear seats needed that adjustment for comfort IMHO. A lot of the old PUP features are now standard...the current MS cars are the finest and best bang for the buck they have ever been.

So I literally sit here waiting to pull the trigger. Wife and I said let's order 1st week of Oct to see if anything new happens with the start of the new FY...but I also fear we're risking a huge price increase, or radical tech changes and option changes that will cost me the vehicle features I really like, or much more $$ to get what I want.

I really wish I could see a month into the future.

Price increase is scary. Something we haven't really seen. We've seen all the standard equipment being added but no price increase. Are we headed there? Tesla claims they want to distinguish the S from the 3 - this won't be with hardware/technology alone - a price increase may be in the works to further distinguish the 3 from the S.

I waited months upon months to place my order, playing the "Just wait a little more and see what they announce" game. It's both a winning and a losing game. The longer you wait the better chance you have of them adding something new. But as others have said, that's more time during which you don't have the car and more time for things to change for the negative (I doubt a price increase is upcoming but Tesla is nothing if not unpredictable).

I ended up setting myself a deadline- the day of the first Model 3 deliveries to employees and investors. That was when I put the process in motion to place an order. A few weeks later it was done.

I'll be honest, I regret not having the car for the summer. But I'm not sweating it. As for the interior- I like it just fine as-is. The only thing that I think is "dated" about it is that it's been the same for a long period of time. But for me it's just as futuristic and attractive as it was before and I personally like it better than anything from MB, Lexus, Audi, or Volvo that I test drove during my car shopping experience. If you want the car, just get it and stop worrying about what you're going to miss out on. I wish I could give my 6-months-ago-self that same advice.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Interior refresh coming could be a tough one. If Tesla was going to be doing one they wouldn't have just updated the seats right now.

.....or one could argue they updated the seats to streamline the building of the new seats to get the rest of the factory stuff in line.

I was in the same boat for my Model X but I ended up just placing the order last night. It's a estimated November delivery but I'm ok with it because it's into the new FY that any changes should be included.