Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just thinking about how much I enjoy my Tesla Roadster... and I wanted to thank Mark (and everyone who has been helping him) for the OVMS, because, although I use it rarely, it significantly contributes to the enjoyment of my vehicle.

Thanks.
kgb

BTW, accidentally discovered iPhone 4S feature:

It's been mentioned before that forwarded SMS messages can only be seen briefly on the lock screen and then they disappear. When on the main "icons" screen a downward swipe produces this screen:

photo.PNG

Now I can actually read my spam! :rolleyes:

BTW, accidentally discovered iPhone 4S feature:

It's been mentioned before that forwarded SMS messages can only be seen briefly on the lock screen and then they disappear. When on the main "icons" screen a downward swipe produces this screen:

Now I can actually read my spam! :rolleyes:

In case you hadn't seen: if the message comes in while you are running the app, the message doesn't go to the notification manager screen that you showed. Also, the notification manager screen can be gotten from any iPhone screen by swiping down.

I stripped the poll form this thread because it has long since been closed, wasn't particularly relevant anymore, yet still showed up at the top of each page.

Here are the results for posterity:

OVMS poll.JPG

View Poll Results: Do you have any interest in remote monitoring for your car? Voters 24. This poll is closed

I understand this, know what I am doing, and would love one of these. 12 50.00%
I understand this, know what I am doing, and would love one of these and will also contribute. 7 29.17%
I don't own a Tesla, but would love one of these for my other car. 0 0%
I would need help to setup and install one of these, but would love one in my car. 4 16.67%
I have already done this myself. 0 0%
I am waiting for Tesla's solution, or using something else. 1 4.17%
I have no interest in remote monitoring of my car. 0 0%

Today is IPv6 day! How does that work with OVMS? Does the server have/need an IPv6 address?

I've been snowed under trying to get my day-job website IPv6 ready :)

It'll be interesting to see how this will develop over the coming few years. Mobile is where the pressure is (hundreds of millions of devices, all wanting an IP address), but NAT is a workable solution at the moment.

Status update:

We've come to the end of our initial batch of boards, and there are significant minimum-order-quantities for things like circuit boards, so we are taking the opportunity to switch to hardware v2.0.

This is not intended as an 'upgrade' for existing v1.x modules for roadster owners. The Tesla Roadster is covered, and works really well with v1.x hardware. New roadster owners will be able to use v2.x hardware as well, but there is no point in 'upgrading' from v1.x to v2.x hardware, for Roadster owners. The new v2.x hardware is primarily intended to make it easier so support other types of cars.

We're down to the last few v1.x modules - there was a recent unexpected rush of orders. So, today, we've taken down the hardware offering at Open Vehicle Systems, until the v2.x hardware arrives. If someone _really_ needs a v1.x module, we still have some and can let you have it, but we really want to keep as many of the modules we have left as repair spares for existing owners.

We're just now entering prototype stage with the factory, so if anyone has any comments/suggestions please send them in. So long as the prototypes are ok, we should have production ready in 4-to-6 weeks.

The final 5:
final5.JPG

(v1.2 hardware revision, at least)

Should I put gray stripes, and a red interior, on them? :cool:

Last edited:
Changing SIMs in the OVMS module?

Mark, I want to change the SIM in my OVMS module. The new SIM will be from the same carrier and so has the same APN, username, and password. Do I need to do anything besides physically swapping in the new SIM (i.e., will the OVMS server forget about the old SIM phone number and use the new SIM phone number once the new SIM starts communicating with the OVMS server using the correct userID and password)?

Changing SIMs in the OVMS module?

Mark, I want to change the SIM in my OVMS module. The new SIM will be from the same carrier and so has the same APN, username, and password. Do I need to do anything besides physically swapping in the new SIM?

All settings are in the PIC on the module, not the SIM, so no need to change anything (apart from the phonebook entry in your phone, for SMS).