Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Center Console

Do you need some organization in the center console?

• Yes, give me some way to keep my stuff organized.

Votes: 105 62.5%
  • No, I like the open console.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I don't care much either way.

Votes: 31 18.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is interesting that although we are willing to adopt an innovative drive train, many of us are loath to try something new in other ways.
The drive train is a technological advance. The factors of human ergonomics are incredibly well studied and not particularly technological in nature, tinker with them with a large measure of humility...

I don't have the hand sanitizer, but pretty much think I have everything else plus a logbook for business expense, a power cord for my phone, and a temp holding place for trash (back of door pocket). This issue is really irking me to no end. George B's hints notwithstanding, I want to know what they have or what they are planning. It really is a practical issue and it is a choice for form over function which makes the designers happy and the average buyer scratching his head and then bitching after he buys the car and realizes that there's a significant flaw in really using the car the way that most do.

First let me say that I love the idea of going electric - its good for the country in terms of economics and national security, its good for the environment, its a fun drive if its anything like the Roadster, and someone has to start the ball rolling. I'm in a fortunate position in that I can afford an expensive car - I can even afford to do something totally uneconomic - but where I live, my Signature will cost approximately $105,000 - or 98k net of tax credit. I could save a few thousand by getting essentially the same configuration under general production, but it's still, for all practical purposes, a $100k vehicle. For that price - which certainly takes on anything BMW or Merc can offer (except 7 series or s class), I don't expect much in the way of compromises, but it sure looks like there are a bunch for the early reservation holders - not to mention the lack of communication with reservation holders (especially early ones). I don't think I've been contacted or asked my opinion about anything by Tesla unless I made it a point to contact them to voice a concern, which I've done regarding the premium price for early sig reservers (still today with no apparent benefit for being early with a 40k deposit), the console issue, and the recent statement that test drives may not be available until after you must commit to a contract. What really bothers me is that I have backed off discussing the benefits of electric and the company with well-heeled friends as who wants to tout "as good as a BMW high end" if it's not? We all love the exterior, but its the interior that's pulling the negative vibe to the forefront.

I'm truly rooting for Tesla to succeed, and if it takes a little more time to make things right I can be patient. But I can't emphasize enough how damaging it will be to the company if it falls short on its "no compromise" ethos in offering a high priced alternative to ICE luxury vehicles that doesn't deliver a similar feeling in the interior.

+1

You have summed up very nicely exactly how I feel, though my price point is lower being general production.

Change - not needed in car. What would I use it for ?

What would you use change for? Tolls and parking meters come to mind. And there's simply times when are left with a lot of change after a purchase and don't like carrying around a pocket full of coins so end up placing it somewhere in your car.

And why wouldn't you just keep your wallet and phone in your pants/shorts pocket like most people?

Developing a slip in insert that uses the walls of this space for support would be simple. This way the people who like it open can have it that way and leave it, those that don't can buy the aftermarket accessories.

• Wallet
  • Sunglasses
  • House Keys
  • Change
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Phone
  • Pen
  • Mints
  • Dry Cleaning Tickets
  • Tissues

My take:
    Wallet goes in my pocket
    Sunglasses go on my face
    House keys go in my pocket
    Change? I don't have any
    Hand sanitizer....see "Change"
    Phone should have a dock somewhere. I'll concede that one.
    Pen is in the glove box
    Mints can go in the glove box
    Dry cleaners pick up and drop off at the house
    Tissues are for sissies. Real men roll down the window and farmer blow at the ICE next to them.

It's clear by this poll that an overwhelming majority of people are not entirely pleased by the uninspiring use of all that free space between the front seats. .

Disagree. Respectfully. As of this post, 24 people have voted, 16 said they don't want an open console. That's not enough data to be statistically significant.

And the key point is NO ONE is saying you cannot have a way to keep things organized. This isn't a case of when you take delivery, you. are stuck forever in time with an open console. There will be options, just maybe not on the day you take delivery.

And some of us, about 51% of the population (but not equally represented here) are actually happy with the fact that we have a place to put our purse. Not on our feet, not behind the driver's seat. But in its own spot. Yay.

I've gotten along without a center console with my MINI Cooper 03 for nearly 10 years without issue. I'm fine having open space. Model S will sure be an improvement for carrying around my golf clubs though!

My wifes car, HCHII 07 has a center console which is full of "stuff" that is mostly clutter. And like the MINI has 4 door compartments for more clutter/trash. However, also has sleeves behind each seat for more clutter. All of which, including the cup holders are very hard to clean. It makes me crazy to see it so dirty and have so many places to clean. Take a look at yours and you'll see what I mean.

We made a list of all the stuff in the daily driver (*clutter*):

Glove box: Flashlight (Headlamp), napkins, bandaids, leatherman, tire pressure gauge, sunblock, car manual/paperwork, pen/pad
Compartment under armrest: *coupons, *receipts, hand lotion, hand sanitizer, hair ties, *golf tees, *safety pins, DC/USB charger, *coins
Center console (under the dashboard and in front of the gear shifter): *More coupons, glasses, phone, *more coins
Cubby hole (on driver side dash underneath vent): Keys
On rear floor (right behind armrest): Facial tissue box, baby wipes, diapers
4 door compartments: *Trash and cliff bars (should be in trunk)
2 behind seats compartments: *One lone childs glove (hey, we've been looking for this for about a month!)

What bothers me about our current car:

1. Very hard to clean all those spots
2. I don't get any value out of having those compartments as it just makes me feel like I'm sitting in a garbage can
3. Stuff is constantly moving and shifting causing noises while the car is moving
4. We lose stuff all the time in the car. I can't tell you how many times I've searched with a flashlight through those freakin compartments
5. The trash in the door compartments bothers me the most as it builds up overtime.

Nirvana I hope to achieve with our next car (Model S):

1. Overall, more open space, less compartments but are more centrally located, easier to keep clean, more thoughtful storage solutions
2. Only keep and have places for items that are necessities
3. And those items do not shift or move and cause noise or damage to themselves or the car
4. The compartments are easy to clean, vacuum so that they can easily be brought back to a like new state
5. All items that are necessary to reach while driving are ergonomically stored and can be extracted intuitively and quickly so that you don't have to take your eyes off of the road or are distracted in any way
6. A place for trash that accommodates a liner, is on the floor, is secure but removable and could accommodate being closed (lid or other)
7. A place for my wife to put her purse (see #5) that is on the floor and keeps it stationary and upright

From what I've seen so far I don't think we'll have an issue since I could easily see the open space being able to fit a small trash and purse area. If needed, we'll put the sunglasses on the sun-visor and keys on the floor. Driver phone will remain in purse/pocket thanks to Bluetooth.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but sometimes it seems that having all of these storage spots forces you to use them and increases the clutter without increasing the usability, ergonomics or value in general of the solution or outcomes. In general it just makes the car more of a "rolling junk drawer".

The only reason most people with an EV would need change is to go to a gas station to put air in the tires. I bought a 110V air pump for my garage to inflate my car tires. The last reason I personally would ever need to go to a gas station is now solved.

What would you use change for? Tolls and parking meters come to mind. And there's simply times when are left with a lot of change after a purchase and don't like carrying around a pocket full of coins so end up placing it somewhere in your car.

And why wouldn't you just keep your wallet and phone in your pants/shorts pocket like most people?

Tolls are automatic here. We have transponders in our cars. EVs are exempt, so I don't pay anything for the Leaf.
Public parking is also free. Private parking is not, but they always take VISA cards so I never use coins.

Change after a purchase goes in the wallet.

Phone and wallet in jeans in car only works if you don't wear tight jeans ;)

I think if finding a place to store change is one of the bigger issues then Tesla is doing ok. It would be easy for Tesla to develop a slip in accessory for that space with a small coin compartment.

I agree with Bonnie. The more I think about it the better I like the open console. If you want a closed storage, get a tasteful padded box. For open storage, drawer organizers could be used to keep things from scooting around. No one solution is really right for everyone and this allows customization.

There is nothing tasteful about putting a cheap box there for storage. It's akin to those idiots that keep a cheap, plastic dealer license plate frame on a luxury car (let alone any car). The fact is, we shouldn't be asked to come up with cheap solutions for a common need in a car because Tesla appears to be ignorant to the wants of its customers. Even if they kept the open space, why couldn't they have a slide out compartment from the center arm rest area, as circled in the attached picture?

console.jpg

Other items (some ridiculous) I have noted in others cars. Many men are not known to carry a purse. Some might be in the back or frunk but ithers want to be at hand.

Pencil, sharpie, pen. writing pad, tax mileage logbook, highlighter, chapstick/lipstick. brush, sunlotion, toothbrush, deodorant, CD/DVDs, breathmints, gum, powerbar, napkins, condiments, water, coffee, soda, camera, tire pressure monitor (4 when filling) driving glasses, Ipad, Mp3 player, trashcan, 8 track tapes (kidding), various handheld charge cables, flash stick, card memory(s), sun hat, special shoes (worksite, hiking, flats, dress), socks, flashlight, emergency glass tool, pocketknife, earplugs, toll booth payment, emergency cash, business cards, store cards, EV charge cards, tokens, gloves, car registration, insurance card, child/baby toy distractors, jacket, blanket, scarf, umbrella, reuseable grocery bags.

I would like some open space. One of the design failures between the 2004-2009 Prius and the 2010+ is that they closed up the free space and messed up the shifter and console. On the other hand I want some place handy to keep a couple of items--I think I'd look silly carrying a purse or handbag. I wouldn't mind a centre console that only went to the front of the seats. I thought that they could so something really cool like have a power console that would elevate to reveal compartment levels. A fridge on one level storage on another.

As with every Tesla announcement/update, it appears we've reached the stage where a portion of those people content with what's shown and those that aren't start yelling at each other with BIG capital LETTERS.

I was seeing more as 'refusing to see what others are typing'.

I really do believe there will be an after-market offering here. If not Tesla, someone else will step in. And I think it's pretty cool that people will be able to customize the way they want.

Sit in a Roadster for a bit & you'll start to appreciate open space. Oh, the possibilities!

i think you're missing the point that SOME customers LIKE this JUST THE WAY IT IS.

That point is not lost on me, but SOME is the operative word. As it is, it is a minority that likes it as it is. And I'd argue that a lot of us, are either such ardent advocates of Tesla that we either support all of its decisions (a bit of irrational bias) or as early adopters are simply more flexible to aspects of the car that deviate from convention. If a majority of us are displeased with the lack of more storage in the center console, then I think you'd find an even larger percentage of average consumers disliking the current implementation.