Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Pedal Driving Mode Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do a search as there are lots of conversations & info about this topic already.

Conclusion: there's no physical reason why earlier model cars couldn't have it as autopilot is already able to bring the car to a complete stop w/o special motors. It should just be a simple software update to extend this capability to non-permanent magnet cars. The real question is will it happen and the answer to this point is.... ???

There was no reason earlier cars wouldn't get Chill either - in fact they accidentally included it on v9 when it first released - but they ultimately decided it should be artificially tied to autopilot hardware. Tesla uses updates like this to try and force artificial obsolescence, you have to buy a new car to get some things even though there is no hardware reasoning to the limitations they impose.

Probably a bigger example is the browser. They didn't bother updating MCU1's browser to chromium even though there is no technical reason for them not to. If you want a browser that works, buy a newer car.

Tesla uses updates like this to try and force artificial obsolescence, you have to buy a new car to get some things even though there is no hardware reasoning to the limitations they impose.

Probably a bigger example is the browser. They didn't bother updating MCU1's browser to chromium even though there is no technical reason for them not to. If you want a browser that works, buy a newer car.
Tesla, like many tech companies, makes tough decisions about which legacy products to continue supporting. Tesla's decision has everything to do with manpower resources being insufficient to continue supporting certain older configurations, and nothing to do with "artificial obsolescence". When Tesla adds functionality, like they have done many, many times, nobody complains. Pre-AP Model S gained many new features, bug fixes, etc., and continues to benefit from the latest releases (if not all of the features).

Tesla does not have unlimited resources to continue supporting all of the different configurations it has sold over the last 6 years. Unless you work on Tesla's team or have some other in-depth knowledge of the hardware's capabilities as it relates to software, I don't think you would be qualified to state, with any authority, which current features can be supported by older hardware.

Tesla, like many tech companies, makes tough decisions about which legacy products to continue supporting. Tesla's decision has everything to do with manpower resources being insufficient to continue supporting certain older configurations, and nothing to do with "artificial obsolescence". When Tesla adds functionality, like they have done many, many times, nobody complains. Pre-AP Model S gained many new features, bug fixes, etc., and continues to benefit from the latest releases (if not all of the features).

Tesla does not have unlimited resources to continue supporting all of the different configurations it has sold over the last 6 years. Unless you work on Tesla's team or have some other in-depth knowledge of the hardware's capabilities as it relates to software, I don't think you would be qualified to state, with any authority, which current features can be supported by older hardware.
So you just questioned someone's qualifications over them claiming they choose planned artificial obsolescence...by claiming "Tesla does not have unlimited resources to continue supporting all of the different configurations it has sold over the last 6 years" based on what exactly? You do realize that Tesla is the same company that has randomly decided when they would no longer support uncorking various models, has been removing the Ludicrous pay option from their site, not to mention recently removing it from CPO models recently purchased (yup, if you bought a Model X P90DL, there are posts here of people claiming it was gone upon delivery for battery preservation).

So you just questioned someone's qualifications over them claiming they choose planned artificial obsolescence...by claiming "Tesla does not have unlimited resources to continue supporting all of the different configurations it has sold over the last 6 years" based on what exactly?
I absolutely did. Very politely, too, more so than your above comment. Common industry practice (and occam's razor) trump completely unsupported and nefarious conspiracy theories every single time. You really expect Tesla to keep adding features and continue supporting older, discontinued models? Someone might want to tell Apple that all the new features of the iPhone 11 could also be added to iPhone 4, it's just that Apple wants more of your money. A totally ridiculous argument on its face.

You do realize that Tesla is the same company that has randomly decided when they would no longer support uncorking various models
Tesla can uncork whenever it wants to, it's a free gift. There is no entitlement to this.

recently removing it from CPO models recently purchased (yup, if you bought a Model X P90DL, there are posts here of people claiming it was gone upon delivery for battery preservation).
You do realize Tesla has not sold CPO cars for some time, right? As far as the rest of what you say, it's irrelevant to my original response.

Reactions: fmm and outdoors
I absolutely did. Very politely, too, more so than your above comment. Common industry practice (and occam's razor) trump completely unsupported and nefarious conspiracy theories every single time. You really expect Tesla to keep adding features and continue supporting older, discontinued models? Someone might want to tell Apple that all the new features of the iPhone 11 could also be added to iPhone 4, it's just that Apple wants more of your money. A totally ridiculous argument on its face.

Tesla can uncork whenever it wants to, it's a free gift. There is no entitlement to this.

You do realize Tesla has not sold CPO cars for some time, right? As far as the rest of what you say, it's irrelevant to my original response.
Older models? Some of the examples I gave are for models not even 3 years old using the same equipment! As far as uncorking, no it isn't a free gift when they randomly choose who gets it and when. Much like when Tesla JUST THIS YEAR stated that screen yellowing was normal and if you wanted it fixed you had to pay out of pocket, yet now miraculously have a machine to "fix" it. And Tesla still certifies their pre-owned vehicles, they offer warranties and do a complete inspection...which is what CPO means.

Reactions: rafacq
Older models? Some of the examples I gave are for models not even 3 years old using the same equipment! As far as uncorking, no it isn't a free gift when they randomly choose who gets it and when. Much like when Tesla JUST THIS YEAR stated that screen yellowing was normal and if you wanted it fixed you had to pay out of pocket, yet now miraculously have a machine to "fix" it. And Tesla still certifies their pre-owned vehicles, they offer warranties and do a complete inspection...which is what CPO means.

Tesla specifically removed any and all instances of "CPO" from their website intentionally. They haven't sold a CPO car in nearly a year and instead sell used cars now. Anyone reading these posts talking about CPO's might be incorrectly lead to believe that these cars somehow include cosmetic and other refurbishments that other manufactures (and Tesla previously) included. This isn't even something worthy of arguing anymore so I'm not sure why some insist on incorrectly labeling Tesla used cars as CPO when it's simply untrue.

Reactions: Chaserr
Unless you work on Tesla's team or have some other in-depth knowledge of the hardware's capabilities as it relates to software, I don't think you would be qualified to state, with any authority, which current features can be supported by older hardware.
I can state, will fully qualified truthfulness, that Chill software was written by TEsla for my car's hardware. Installed on my car's hardware. And removed from my car's hardware. They had the resources to write the update (with unique pre-AP graphics specifically drawn for pre-AP chill since it has the flag with words at the top instead of the traffic bar with floating text) and push it to cars publicly, before a decision was made to remove it again. This isn't a lack of resources example. They had the resources. used them. Wasted them. To push forced obsolescence. Same story with Chromium. It runs on Tesla's MCU1 hardware and software just fine - you can download it yourself. Tesla chose not to update, even though they did change the browser's code slightly which means they spent time "updating" the old webkit instead of updating it to a modern browser. This was more effort than they should have done for a security patch, since the webkit is no longer supported but chromium is. Extra effort was made to ensure obsolescense, chromium was the easier path.

You made up fictional excuses that defy reality itself to try and make Tesla look better. The facts make your fictional excuses just make them look worse. If Tesla has such limited resources, they wouldn't build updates like that just to take them away later. Theyt wouldn't have had the resources to make them in the first place. So we know you're wrong, and we know the apologies are based on incorrect assumptions.

If you're going to attack someone's credibility, be credible first.

You do realize Tesla has not sold CPO cars for some time, right?.

No they don't. Tesla doesn't sell any CPO cars. They sell used cars. It's not a pedantic difference either, Tesla's used cars are often embarrassingly filthy and/or damaged. CPO implies a process Tesla can't afford to offer. Once again, we circle back to the importance of being credible when you're trying to insult another person's credibility. It doesn't work when you don't speak the truth.

Last edited:
Do a search as there are lots of conversations & info about this topic already.

Conclusion: there's no physical reason why earlier model cars couldn't have it as autopilot is already able to bring the car to a complete stop w/o special motors. It should just be a simple software update to extend this capability to non-permanent magnet cars. The real question is will it happen and the answer to this point is.... ???

Totally agree! My 2015 S85D w/AP1 starts & stops in traffic just fine!

Reactions: BulldogsRus
No they don't. Tesla doesn't sell any CPO cars. They sell used cars. It's not a pedantic difference either, Tesla's used cars are often embarrassingly filthy and/or damaged. CPO implies a process Tesla can't afford to offer. Once again, we circle back to the importance of being credible when you're trying to insult another person's credibility. It doesn't work when you don't speak the truth.

I purchased my used 2015 S85D in April 2019. Aside from a small dent in the front hood (which I had a dent repair man fix) the car was delivered in near mint condition. Here is my car at delivery in San Diego.

C00085EB-50B2-4D02-9F68-C8458DFF5D38.jpeg

Tesla specifically removed any and all instances of "CPO" from their website intentionally. They haven't sold a CPO car in nearly a year and instead sell used cars now. Anyone reading these posts talking about CPO's might be incorrectly lead to believe that these cars somehow include cosmetic and other refurbishments that other manufactures (and Tesla previously) included. This isn't even something worthy of arguing anymore so I'm not sure why some insist on incorrectly labeling Tesla used cars as CPO when it's simply untrue.
The cars are still put through a multi-step process, they don't simply take in a trade and resell it warts and all hoping you won't call them out on it if the computer is flagging a bunch of issues or something is broken. They may no longer completely repair cosmetic issues but depending on location they have washed and cleaned out the interiors, again not always so YMMV. The certification may have changed but to state they are simply reselling used Teslas with nothing done, no benefit buying used from them (extended warranty added to them/unlimited SC) which is what CPO somewhat covers btw is disingenuous. There are many articles here asking whether someone should buy private vs. Tesla used, and although the price may be higher buying from Tesla they are also extending coverage along with telling you upfront what the car's options are. Some have even stated that Tesla is more willing to honor repairs on used vehicles bought through them as opposed to private as well. I agree that the "Tesla CPO" is no longer stated as such, but there IS a certification process they follow before reselling the vehicles is all I'm saying, unfortunately it isn't all that stringent or followed to a certain criteria that other manufacturers would be held to.

Certified Pre-Owned - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Interesting comment about the permanent magnet motors from srredbeard. I have wondered why my Tesla regen does not actually stop the car (like for example an i3 does). Maybe the permanent magnet motors allow much stronger regen at very low RPM.
It may simply be that the old ones may cause unnecessary wear and tear prematurely so Tesla may be reluctant to adopt it for fear of having to replace parts on the older models. It's possible that given enough time Tesla realizes that some of the innovations put in place years ago have now caused the batteries, etc. to wear faster so they will have to resort to "tweaking" some things like algorithms to make sure that they last the 8 years they are covered, otherwise it could be rather costly to replace them under warranty, esp. if it requires them implementing a newer range battery!

I can state, will fully qualified truthfulness, that Chill software was written by TEsla for my car's hardware. Installed on my car's hardware. And removed from my car's hardware. They had the resources to write the update (with unique pre-AP graphics specifically drawn for pre-AP chill since it has the flag with words at the top instead of the traffic bar with floating text) and push it to cars publicly, before a decision was made to remove it again. This isn't a lack of resources example. They had the resources. used them. Wasted them. To push forced obsolescence. Same story with Chromium. It runs on Tesla's MCU1 hardware and software just fine - you can download it yourself. Tesla chose not to update, even though they did change the browser's code slightly which means they spent time "updating" the old webkit instead of updating it to a modern browser. This was more effort than they should have done for a security patch, since the webkit is no longer supported but chromium is. Extra effort was made to ensure obsolescense, chromium was the easier path.

You made up fictional excuses that defy reality itself to try and make Tesla look better. The facts make your fictional excuses just make them look worse. If Tesla has such limited resources, they wouldn't build updates like that just to take them away later. Theyt wouldn't have had the resources to make them in the first place. So we know you're wrong, and we know the apologies are based on incorrect assumptions.

If you're going to attack someone's credibility, be credible first.

For the most part that is true, I think it also depends on region i.e. most likely a CA, AZ or FL Tesla will be in much better condition than say the Northeast or other areas with harsh winters. And as I mentioned below it appears to differ by service center because it's most likely that owners aren't cleaning and detailing their vehicles upon trade-in nor is Tesla sending them back out with warning messages onscreen or doors that don't shut. Having said that, their "certification/70 point checklist" is a joke:

UPDATE: Tesla Changes CPO Program - Cars Mechanically Inspected