Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Okay, so there is one really poor person buying a model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In any case, back to the OP's question: Do you have a house with a mortgage?

He doesn't.

I don't want to buy a stupid house, because I prefer living in a small apartment and not hog natural resources (and a house doesn't go 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. :)

Can't resist giving some unsolicited advice (feel free to yell at me for doing it anyway :)): given your financial situation and that you and your wife are just getting started in your careers and that you are so young, will have to agree with your parents; this is the poorest financial decision in the history of financial decisions! Blowing 100Gs on a depreciating asset and liquidating a lot of hard-earned savings/investments in the process thus ending up car-poor seems so outlandish to me. Your day will come - probably as soon as 2016 with Gen III (maybe a more appropriately-sized and priced car for a young couple?!). /end-sermon

Can't resist giving some unsolicited advice (feel free to yell at me for doing it anyway :)): given your financial situation and that you and your wife are just getting started in your careers and that you are so young, this is the poorest financial decision in the history of financial decisions! Blowing 100Gs on a depreciating asset and liquidating a lot of savings/investments in the process thus ending up car-poor seems so outlandish to me. Your day will come - probably as soon as 2016 with Gen III (maybe, a more appropriately-sized and priced car for a young couple?!). /end-sermon

Not saying you're wrong, gg, but ... I bought my first Porsche when I was a 20-something, totally couldn't justify the initial cost or the maintenance ... and I never once regretted doing so and would do it all over again. I used to joke that I didn't need living room furniture, people could sit in the car. :) I used lawn furniture indoors, even a picnic table for the dining room - and enjoyed every minute of driving that car. It was definitely the right decision for me. (And probably not for most people.)

He doesn't.

Can't resist giving some unsolicited advice (feel free to yell at me for doing it anyway :)): given your financial situation and that you and your wife are just getting started in your careers and that you are so young, will have to agree with your parents; this is the poorest financial decision in the history of financial decisions! Blowing 100Gs on a depreciating asset and liquidating a lot of hard-earned savings/investments in the process thus ending up car-poor seems so outlandish to me. Your day will come - probably as soon as 2016 with Gen III (maybe a more appropriately-sized and priced car for a young couple?!). /end-sermon

I actually changed my question while you were posting this to ask if he has a mortgage on his apartment...

As far as the advice, you don't actually know his financial situation, because he hasn't explicitly said how much he's saved up. He's said he's "poor", but he might just mean as far as "income". Maybe he's a trust fund kid...

I will have to pay cash for my car, being on social security I don't have an income to pay taxes on that would give me the $7500 tax break. I find tax law all very confusing, as do most others, why make it so complicated just give me a years worth of free gas instead :rolleyes:

You are a bad influence, Bonnie :) Wonder if you'll let your son do something like this if you could help it?! ;)

Why yes, yes I would. I raised him to understand risk and if he still felt it was worth it, then do it! He just had to be able to tell me the negatives he thought about first.

he's 31 now, works remotely as an engineer and pursues fresh powder and kite boarding in various parts of the world. I love the fact he makes his own rules and I'm his biggest fan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 503
Although my mind tells me this isn't a smart move by the OP, my gut tells me to tell him to go for it. If you have to make sacrafices for the next 6 year, and if you don't end up homeless, go for it.

Find a way to make an extra $500-700 a month. There are tons of ways to do so. Get a side job, solicit your skills on a site like onforce.com, become a little entrepreneur.

15 years ago, when we were renting a condo after getting married. I started buying, upgrading and selling laptops on ebay, and was making some pretty good money on the side. After 2 years, we had a pretty healthy down payment (in terms of CA real estate) for our first house. Sure, I was spending 20-30 hours a week on top of my 45-50 hour a week job, but I was working towards something that was very important to my wife and I, and I could do it at my own pace during evenings and weekend, from home.

You only live once...

Hi Aviators99, no I don't have a mortgage that would help. It would be very nice to get a 5% bump back on the car ( AUTOMOBILE) sorry!, I do feel very fortunate just to have the opportunity to participate in the REVOLUTION.

If you have a pension, or other source of future income that you can advance in the same year you take delivery and increase your tax liability, then in essence that $$ would be federal tax free, up to the $7500 tax liability. A little planning can help you utilize this a lot!!

Yes I know it's not the best financial decision. I am not a trust fund kid (I left the Mormon church when I was 17 and my upper middle class parents cut me off, so I paid for school too), but have been meticulously saving for a while. Not really for a nice car in particular, but just because it was fun for me to invest in things. Well turns out living cheap for 5 years on Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches and stir fry dinners really adds up. Not paying for gas for 5 years saves a lot too (as you all know). Anyways, after riding my bike around Seattle for several years, I really started to fantasize about owning a car. I never really was a car guy until I saw the Model S. I had the opportunity to test drive one (friend of a friend) and I just can't bring myself to buy a gasoline car. I am sure I am preaching to the choir here.

Anyways, I just graduated and am doing Neuroscience research in Seattle for a pretty stable company (e.g. Paul Allen funded) and if I keep saving, I can totally buy the Model S not on credit (which would be stupid). Wife is doing things better than I did and is going into Electrical Engineering, so I think my financial future will be fine. We thought about buying a house, but I really don't want one. Furthermore, I am thinking about graduate/medical/physician assisting school, so I may end up moving in 3ish years anyways.

Yeah, I could keep investing it and one day be truly rich. But honestly- I don't want to be that guy. Sounds boring. I want to be able to roll up next to my friend (who drives a 2012 Charger) and smoke him at the green light after making "VROOOM VROOOM" noises with the windows rolled down. Doing this when I am sixty probably would be more hilarious, but people might think I am mentally ill. I don't want to pay for gas. I want to bring friends to my cheap apartment in a nice car, and when they look surprised say "yeah, I know, but how else do you think I could afford a performance Model S?"

But yeah, I am a smart guy, and I know this isn't a good financial decision. That's why I don't think of it as a financial decision, and just think of it as the last dumb decisions I make before I have to buck up and be an adult. I still have a year or two before my frontal cortex is fully developed, so I can't really be held responsible!

Of course, we don't know what leasing options Tesla will offer. However, in the past, leases I've done have offered a discounted rate for prepaying all the lease payments up front, which I did. Although I could have bought the car outright, I was pretty sure I wanted a new car after three years and didn't want to go through the hassle of selling it or trading it.

Since you anticipate having the cash to make a big down payment, a pre-paid lease would seem to be a natural thing for you to consider. This would be a win-win for you and Tesla/Leasing Company. Tesla sells a car. The leasing company has no credit risk on your payments. The leasing company should realize the tax credit and factor it as a cap cost reduction, which is the leasing equivalent of a down payment and will reduce your monthly payment. You get the "perfect" payments on your credit record. And best of all for you, you would only need to pay for the portion of the car you intend to use. For example, if you want to use the car for five years, you can pay only for that much depreciation and the financing for that amount.

And you get to turn it in without hassle as long as you keep it in good conditional and don't exceed the contracted mileage. The latter is very important as they kill you for mileage over. This is pretty much like a cell phone data contract, so you need a pretty good estimation on the maximum miles you will drive each year. Don't forget to factor the Tesla Grin into that.:biggrin:

So what you are also saying, is that I could reserve tomorrow and get my car sooner than I anticipated, because I won't need 90%-100% of the cash. If it turns out the lease won't work for my circumstances, I could just defer a couple of months. I could kiss you right now I am so happy!

I don't need a lot of mileage either. So this is perfect.

Most people in this young man's situation would purchase a used performance car, such as an M5 or a 911, one that's probably beyond its warranty. Then, over the next five years, they'd get absolutely clobbered with unanticipated maintenance costs. This is where the Model S, although more expensive on the front end, would be a more predictable car to maintain. You'd know where you stand.

If we're talking about federal tax liability, the other item is to forego any 401k deductions for next year. Not that I condone doing that, but your 401k withholdings are pre-tax which reduce your federal taxable wages and tax liability. However, I don't condone it and would rather have the 401k savings, but it's up to you.

If we're talking about federal tax liability, the other item is to forego any 401k deductions for next year. Not that I condone doing that, but your 401k withholdings are pre-tax which reduce your federal taxable wages and tax liability. However, I don't condone it and would rather have the 401k savings, but it's up to you.

I couldn't do that, my company matches 100%. Not going to throw away free money! Would defeat the purpose.

...I am not a trust fund kid (I left the Mormon church when I was 17 and my upper middle class parents cut me off, so I paid for school too), but have been meticulously saving for a while. Not really for a nice car in particular, but just because it was fun for me to invest in things. Well turns out living cheap for 5 years on Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches and stir fry dinners really adds up. Not paying for gas for 5 years saves a lot too (as you all know). Anyways, after riding my bike around Seattle for several years, I really started to fantasize about owning a car....

At first my brain started to scream, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

But, I have to admit, in my 20's I managed to get a modest house for 'take over payment' terms in a foul economy somewhat like we the one we had a couple years ago. It ended up being cheaper than rent. When I started working I thought I'd never be able to afford a house in my lifetime with interest rates over 18%, but I managed to find the right deal. Renting is a good value locally because of excess speculation houses, over-development in the region and our high property taxes. That situation may change again and the climate could make home purchasing a prudent move again.

A short time after buying my first house I ended up buying a car worth as much as my house after investing in Microsoft in the 80's. It was a few bucks of my money that I set aside in the dream car fund and I let it ride. If I hit, it would be great, if not, no big loss. I didn't put any money in that I couldn't afford to lose. I was frugal like you in many ways. I didn't have a big paying job either. I had a job that made me feel like I was making a contribution.

My spouse had a modest house and a nice car just like I did when we met. We became Mr. & Mrs. Porsche and Jaguar. We both sold our houses and got a nice house with a nice garage at the right time. We are still here and wonder where the time went, but still enjoy low house payments. We kept refinancing as the rates went down but never pulled any money out. Our payments are probably cheaper than your rent now.

I'm picky about what I spend my money on. As a matter of fact, when we are at our boat in the marina we look up at the restaurant and think, wow, I wish we could afford to eat there. Meanwhile the people in the restaurant are probably looking at the boats wishing that they could afford a boat. The boat was an odd turn. I love the water and everything about it. We got a loan to remodel our kitchen and realized that we could get a boat with a kitchen in it for even less than our kitchen remodel estimate. We like it so much that, if push came to shove, and we had to activate our "scorched earth plan" we would move on the boat and sell or rent the house. Four short years ago we were monitoring our "scorched earth plan" quite closely. We have ridden out a several bad turns in the economy and unanticipated circumstances because we had back up plans.

I hate paying for interest unless we are borrowing cheap money. Money is stupid cheap right now and this is likely very temporary. Elections and the economy could change this quickly. So you can't count on that. Don't forget that inflation happens. You may not have experienced that yet and how that changes things.

My only caveats would be these:

1. Since you ride your bike around Seattle need to be sure that you have exceptional medical insurance with very high percentage of coverage. Insurance companies are covering less and denying neccessary care frequently now. Costs are skyrocketing too. I don't consider 90% coverage adequate but you can't buy anything better than that at any price anymore. In my 20's my spouse was disabled for almost a year after being hit by a driver that fell asleep at the wheel and we had to cover many of the costs and deal with the loss of an income until the insurance company settled many, many years later.

2. Consider whether you would be willing to risk you dream of continuing your education down the road for getting the car now.

3. Be certain that your signifiant other is on board and as enthusiastic as you are... or close to it.

Many NW companies will pay for continuing your education as long as it it in your field. That could minimize problems with your medical insurance and educational costs.

Good luck. I'd love to be in your shoes and have such broad, promising horizons in front of me again. What a thrill! When you see a Red Signature driving around Seattle in a few weeks be sure and wave! BTW. Should I hit my horn so that you know I am there? I've never driven car as quiet as this before.

Sincerely, A recovering Catholic ;)