Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: TSLA Shareholder Meeting 2016 Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The challenges we've seen with the Model X ramp up (quality control, supplier issues, etc.) resulted in delayed deliveries and some unsatisfied early adopter customers. The service centers were also suffering heavy burdens due to the repairs needed for early Model X vehicles delivered. Although Model 3 would have a much simpler design and supposedly not be plagued with as many issues as the early Model X, there is a risk of a similar situation happening with Model 3 in late 2017, given the much higher production volume. How is Tesla planning to improve the launch of Model 3 in late 2017/early 2018?

Given Mr. Musk is the CEO of two high-profile and rapid growing companies (not to mention other ventures he is taking), does Tesla see the need of installing a COO to improve the efficiency of management within Tesla? CEO bringing a sleep bag adjacent to the production line is commitment to solving current production issues, but as a shareholder I would rather not having the need of this type of "commitment" in the first place.

A lot of us reserved the Model 3, and we are exited about the forward progress deducted by two years. The financing is still an open question, and you recently made a secondary. My question is: Will you need more rise of financing to get to the initial production of the Model 3 in 2017? If so, what do you need, and what would you think is the best way of rising finances?

Dave T performed a commendable service in working with Tesla investor relations, resulting in a new thread that quashed my slightly earlier similar thread. However that left out the notice in my original post that implied we were soliciting questions of strategic financial interest to shareholders. The point was to make sure that such questions were asked, and that the limited Q&A time is not taken up by personal agendas or relative trivia.

I remind everyone that this will be a shareholders meeting and not a car owners meeting. Specific concerns about the cars can be taken up in car owner focus groups or with Tesla technical support. Undoubtedly, Elon is already aware of more car issues than any one individual could possibly be concerned about. The limited time available for questions at a shareholders meeting needs to be focused on longer term strategic issues affecting finances and production capabilities.

It appears that Tesla Energy will be an important part of the Company's future but the magnitude of the opportunity is not clear at this stage to many shareholders. Can you provide a rough estimate of how large a contribution you project Tesla Energy will make to Tesla by 2020 in terms of revenue, either in absolute terms or compared to vehicle sales?

Last edited:
Regarding Tesla Energy, was the choice to raise prices on power packs a function of higher costs, or higher pricing power due to demand....and can we expect higher profit margins as well?

I like this question and think that answer will be very telling for proper modeling of future profits, but am concerned that it is to blunt to be selected. Please don't take it personal, I just think that Elon publicly acknowledging abandoning the $250/kWh price and explaining why, is very unlikely.

I'd like to suggest the following edit/alternative:

"With the reveal of final pricing for Powerwall and Powerpack products on Tesla Web Site, they seem to have approximately the same gross dollar profit per the kWh of batteries used as an automobile side of the business (Model S/X). Can shareholders expect this uniformity in gross dollar profit per kWh of batteries used in Tesla Energy (TE) and Tesla Automotive (TA) to be maintained in future?"

Some questions to consider for the Annual Meeting:

Are the batteries in the Model 3 reveal cars the same technology that will soon be produced in Gigafactory1?

Have safety tests been conducted on the Model 3? If not, when will they be done and when will we learn the results?

When will Phase II construction begin at Gigafactory1?

When can we expect to have a 100 kwh battery and folding middle seats in the Model X?

Some questions to consider for the Annual Meeting:
When will Phase II construction begin at Gigafactory1?

This question also intrigues me. I'd expect them to announce at the shareholder meeting or perhaps at the grand opening. With the model 3 ramp up looming they better break ground quickly on the next sections of the factory.