Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odometer display on main homescreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

New member and owner of a new Model 3 purchased in the summer of 2022. I'm not the most adept at keeping up with Tesla features but today I noticed that something I have long wanted has suddenly showed up on the homescreen at bottom left: an odometer display showing total miles and distance and time of current trip. Was this part of a recent upgrade? Or has it been there for a while and I've just not noticed it (seems unlikely).

Thanks!

BkR

But I swear I've never seen it there before. Or is is that usually it's the media from my bluetooth connected phone that shows up there and today somehow it switched to a different card when I started the car?

There are 3 cards there, media (what you probably always have there), the mileage display, and also a tire pressure one. You can swipe between them.

Reactions: Bijli Ki Rani
Thanks. I wish I'd known before.

And now that I've got this feature I've always wanted, I'm going to be greedy and complain that it only shows trip miles in whole numbers--why not show us more accurate distances? Is there a way to set it so the trip miles tick up in tenths of a mile and not start only when you've driven 1 mile and then jump a mile at a time?

Thanks. I wish I'd known before.

And now that I've got this feature I've always wanted, I'm going to be greedy and complain that it only shows trip miles in whole numbers--why not show us more accurate distances? Is there a way to set it so the trip miles tick up in tenths of a mile and not start only when you've driven 1 mile and then jump a mile at a time?
Not that I have seen, no.

Um, for those times that you're curious just how far away from your house the grocery store/gym/pharmacy/whatever is in terms of actual driving distance? Or to calculate the distance of a walking route along a road?

I can't be the only one who uses his car to measure distances. Right now 1.1 and 1.9 both show up as 1. 2.1 and 2.9 are both 2 and so on. It's not the end of the world--it's just a minor annoyance that I notice on a daily basis. And as much as I like this car, it does offer a lot of minor annoyances...

Reactions: Cactus
I can't be the only one who uses his car to measure distances.
20-30 years ago I used my car for this (and used tomas brothers guides as my "navigation") but if I want to know how far something is now, I use my phone. I havent found a reason to need to know tenths in my car, while I was moving.

Walking directions are also on my phone.

The car does have some annoyances, sure, but for me, this one isnt one of them.

If you drive from point A to point B and then wonder--for whatever stupid reason--how long/short the distance was, you'd look at your phone, instead of at your odometer which is giving you almost all but not the exact info for some reason?

Anyway, I did say it was a minor annoyance.

If you drive from point A to point B and then wonder--for whatever stupid reason--how long/short the distance was, you'd look at your phone, instead of at your odometer which is giving you almost all but not the exact info for some reason?

Anyway, I did say it was a minor annoyance.
I mean, to answer your question, if I wondered how far it was it would show on my navigation (I navigate everywhere) to an accuracy that I am comfortable with (+/- 1 mile). If I wanted more accurate than that (say I am trying to exercise and want to know how far it is to walk there or something) then I would use my phone.

Note though, I am just saying "for me". Everyone has different hot button things.

Yes, I get it. It's just that a) I am a very lazy person, and b) these things are rarely premeditated anyway. If I get somewhere, or while I am passing some place, and I wonder "hmm I wonder how far that is from where I started out", a more precise "this trip"--or whatever it's called in that card--distance readout would do the job without having to have set navigation before or go into my phone after.