Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 Plaid Retrofit matrix headlights & tilt screen help please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need one that can do gigabit -- the one I was referring to earlier was this INTREPID RAD MOON 2 100/1000BASE-T1 MEDIA CONVERTER AUTOMOTIVE (MATENET CONNECT) | eBay

That would also require an ix industrial to rj45 cable for ethernet and a matenet to h-mtd cable for the car connection

I also see these for sale: Technica 1000Base-T1 Media Converter TE-1401-1 HW 1.0 A2 | eBay which should also work, but you'd need their proprietary cable I guess

There's also this one SPEEDLINK SE1001 Pro 1000Base-T1 Automotive Ethernet Interface Module to RJ45 | eBay

Which I haven't seen people post about using, but seems to support the right stuff
Oh ok,. I had seen that one but thought it needed to have H-MTD on it. The Rad Moon and Speedlink seem easy.

So whichever I get will need to connect to the H-MTD port (obvi) but does the converter also need to connect via the SC fiber port? I assume not since Rad Moon doesn't have SC ports.

Will any USB power be sufficient with these?

This is my first exposure to the converter so super unfamiliar with it. Thanks for all the help btw :)

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
Oh ok,. I had seen that one but thought it needed to have H-MTD on it. The Rad Moon and Speedlink seem easy.

So whichever I get will need to connect to the H-MTD port (obvi) but does the converter also need to connect via the SC fiber port? I assume not since Rad Moon doesn't have SC ports.

Will any USB power be sufficient with these?

This is my first exposure to the converter so super unfamiliar with it. Thanks for all the help btw :)
Iā€™ve used usb-c portable battery with no issues

Reactions: erik.gnzo
If the device has a USB-C port, then that should be good enough. The console USB-C ports and the 12v cigarette port power up at the same time. Either will work if you buy an adapter for it too. None that I've seen outside of the Tesla Factory kit come with a power source.

The connection is: Car H-MTD --> H-MTD Cable to whatever port is on the device --> Device --> Ethernet Cable to Computer + Power to the Device. That's all you should need.

The Phytools Media Converter, the Technica one, and a few others like the Speedlink use an H-MTD to H-MTD cable. The Intrepid one uses a H-MTD to Manenet cable.

Last edited:
Unless you're the type of person who likes to tinker or help others, not really useful. It's one of the reasons I was looking at providing a rental to do just the upgrades, but that has its own challenges.
This is actually what I was thinking. Seems like a good way to recoup some money and help others borrow the tools needed for a one-off project.

I am reaching out to two service techs that I have in my contacts to see if they are willing to help or know how to help with these self-retrofit kits.

Reactions: leecox
If the device has a USB-C port, then that should be good enough. The console USB-C ports and the 12v cigarette port power up at the same time. Either will work if you buy an adapter for it too. None that I've seen outside of the Tesla Factory kit come with a power source.

The connection is: Car H-MTD --> H-MTD Cable to whatever port is on the device --> Device --> Ethernet Cable to Computer + Power to the Device. That's all you should need.

The Phytools Media Converter, the Technica one, and a few others like the Speedlink use an H-MTD to H-MTD cable. The Intrepid one uses a H-MTD to Manenet cable.
When I did the VCLeft update, usb-c slots in the glove box didnā€™t work šŸ˜‰ until after the update

For those looking into the tilt screen retrofit, the VCLeft controller GEN4 has gone up in price. Its now $445.
Total is $535+$40 tax :(

edit: Tesla SC says the 1585694-00-C part # is compatible with 03-B so I am going to give that one a shot from a vendor on eBay $190 vs $445. definitely worth a try.
I got mine used from eBay 03-B and worked it worked fine for my swivel

Reactions: erik.gnzo