Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oddly unsettling seeing my car drive away with keyfob in my pocket @ Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had to go into a Tesla service center to purchase the extended service agreement after nearly a full day of the run-around with Tesla trying to tell me my car was not eligible, despite being the original owner, under 4 years and well under 50,000 miles. Finally, they reversed course and took my $3,100.

They were a bit forceful in that they wanted me to wait for the app to update in my account so I could purchase it through the app instead, which they estimated would be at the end of July, just a few days before my warranty expires. I said that's cutting it too close, I'll go in and just purchase it. They then sent a bit of snotty message stating, "we prefer you wait, but if you insist, you can come in". Gee, thanks for letting me come in to give you my $3,100. But, after 10 years with Tesla, the first two being glorious, I'm used to them by now. After having to fight tooth and nail just to get them to let me buy the warranty, wasn't going to chance it somehow changing again in the next month.

Anyway, I back to the original point. I know that Tesla can remotely unlock your car and even allow you to drive it without the key. But seemed odd. Pulled into the driveway and long line of cars waiting to check in. I went inside. Then, I see my car driving away!!! Apparently, the service techs have a very easy way to start and drive any Tesla they want without a key. He walked right up, hopped in and drove away. Just seemed a little too easy.

This being my sixth Model S, finally had my first door handle failure. I close the door and it reopens itself. Door handle doesn't present itself when walking up. Only after tapping it. When I get out and close the door, it reopens again! Have to close it and run away to get the key fob away from the car and then it stays closed. They scheduled a mobile service appointment for that. They won't take my money over the phone for a warranty, but they'll come to my house to make repairs! Again, it's Tesla, I'm used to it. Take the good with the bad! It all seems to balance out in the end.

The service center I went to couldn't drive my 2015 P85D without the fob, hehe. Probably because the car is still on MCU1 and no 3G signal anymore. After I paid for the service and got my key fob, I waited outside for about 10 minutes... the tech came out to me and told me he needed my fob and couldn't figure out why he was unable to get into it. Sure enough, a few minutes later, my car showed up.

All the SC needs is your VIN and they can drive your car. Once had some service done and another car was left in the service queue with the owner nowhere to be found. The SC guy brought up an app on his phone, got in, and drove the car through the queue.

Nothing odd about that unsettling feeling. That should be a very normal unsettling feeling.

Think about the control we've given up. If things got really crazy, there's nothing to stop a car company from disabling your car if you don't agree with their politics, or for them to send an update that requires you to buy a $20K new battery or $6K new drive unit when they look like they might miss their quarterly numbers.

Not to say that is going to happen or has happened, but they could do it, and clearly they own the car more than you do.