Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd brake pad wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nick

May 22, 2012
Tesla service pointed out I should get the brake pads replaced ($1100).

I figured I should check them myself...
Left-rear wheel outer pad = 3.5mm
Right-rear wheel outer pad = 3.5mm
Left-front wheel outer pad = 2.5mm
Right-front wheel outer pad = 6.5mm

So yes, time for replacement, but the right-front wear has me worried.
Tesla didn't say anything about a problem, just that it was time for new pads.
No driver-visible symptom, not pulling to one side when braking.

What should I be checking?

A sticking caliper can cause that uneven wear. The caliper should be free to move from left to right and should self center. You will likely need a high temperature grease which they sell at any auto parts place. For $1100 I would definitely do it myself as it is not that hard and the CarbonTech are about $150 I think for the pads and I hear from several people they are noticeably better.

Sounds like you had some sticking/binding going on with the caliper and / or pad. With all the brake dust stock pads make its not odd. When I do my own brake job I ensure I lubricate every moving contact point of metal to metal as well as any pin that has a sliding action.

If you're changing your pads I strongly suggest CarboTech.

Carbotech CT109L-AX6 and CT491L-AX6?

Yes if you want to go with the AX6's which is what I'm running and been extremely pleased with them. Some run the Bobcat 1521 which is to have less dust and noise but not as aggressive modulation and stopping power as the AX6 as stated by CarboTech. I've found the dust to be less than the stocks and only time they made noise/squealed was when I really hammered on them consistently over and over on twisty roads where I was pushing the acceleration and last minute braking into the hard turns. Those with the 1521's have had no complaints and pleased with performance and also mention less dust accumulation than stock.

Curious why you only checked the outer pads? I've noticed that my pads wear much faster on the inside. A couple of Roadster owners I know have scored their rotors with metal-to-metal contact because they didn't monitor the inside pad thickness.

As for the 2.5mm vs 6.5mm, I second the notion that you have or had a stuck caliper. It could have been either the piston or the caliper itself which has to be able to easily slide from side to side as mentioned.

Tesla service pointed out I should get the brake pads replaced ($1100).

I figured I should check them myself...
Left-rear wheel outer pad = 3.5mm
Right-rear wheel outer pad = 3.5mm
Left-front wheel outer pad = 2.5mm
Right-front wheel outer pad = 6.5mm

So yes, time for replacement, but the right-front wear has me worried.
Tesla didn't say anything about a problem, just that it was time for new pads.
No driver-visible symptom, not pulling to one side when braking.

What should I be checking?

I have a lot of experience with wearing out brake pads, from driving on race tracks. Definitely check the inner pads - in every car I've driven, they tend to wear out first.

Yes, a sticky caliper is likely the problem. Clean and lube the sliders.

I ran with the Carbotech CT109L-AX6 / CT491L-AX6 pads and had them professionally installed.

Unfortunately the pad(s) in the front-left are rattling.
Very noticeable at 30mph and it goes away if I touch the brakes slightly.

I ran with the Carbotech CT109L-AX6 / CT491L-AX6 pads and had them professionally installed.

Unfortunately the pad(s) in the front-left are rattling.
Very noticeable at 30mph and it goes away if I touch the brakes slightly.

I don't think they were *that* professional who installed them. At least for the Roadster/Elise. When you pull the brakes off you can see that the there is the brake quiet applied to the back (metal part) of the pads.

+1 with the solutions Doug offered above. I used the CRC Brake Quiet. Tried the spray first, it failed after some time (close to what was stock). Then used the non-spray which had way better reviews. No issue.

Last edited: