Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obsidian Black - Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jsrawa

Apr 11, 2016
Colorado
I thought I had my color choice locked in with the flat black until they introduced the obsidian black. Does anyone have experience with obsidian on an S or seen them in person? I ordered flat black but I’m considering making a change and wanted input from someone who has seen them in person.

So I haven't seen the model 3's Obsidian Black but on the S and X (and any cars when comparing flat vs metallic), flat black will look better (in my opinion) right off the show floor and if you baby it to no end. It's black like a baby grand piano. It will show chips, streaks, swirling, dust, dirt, and pretty much everything that gets on it. That's OK for some people, but it can be a whole lot of upkeep to look perfect.

Obsidian black on the other hand is more resilient to that sort of thing. You still need proper care for it to look nice, but the swirls and streakyness are less noticeable and you won't need to wash it every other day to keep it top notch.

Some people like the obsidian over the flat for looks, though. It reflects light a lot more brilliantly I'd say? It gives a bit more depth and feel to the car perhaps. It's still pretty subjective, but if you want less maintenance and worry about keeping it pristine, the Obsidian is probably a better choice. If you are going to baby it either way, then either could be good choice.

obsidian black looks nice .. however unless you wrap or ceramic its hard to keep looking decent.. i have seen many obsidian blacks as loaners and the swirls really show thru...

Being somewhat of an expert at Black Tesla's ;) and having both blacks I can say there is a difference in the 2. Solid black is great but you need to correct it ASAP and protect it to keep it looking great. Obsidian black has the metallic flakes in them so it has hints of a lighter black depending on the angle and lighting and the flakes help minimize the impact of swirls. If you prefer the shimmer of flakes get obsidian, if you prefer a deeper black get the Solid.

I feel like this photo shows the deep metallic side of obsidian black. This is after a wax, otherwise you see EVERY swirl and scratch from this previous service center loaner :)
ApI4zvD.jpg

P8djpS5

Being somewhat of an expert at Black Tesla's ;) and having both blacks I can say there is a difference in the 2. Solid black is great but you need to correct it ASAP and protect it to keep it looking great. Obsidian black has the metallic flakes in them so it has hints of a lighter black depending on the angle and lighting and the flakes help minimize the impact of swirls. If you prefer the shimmer of flakes get obsidian, if you prefer a deeper black get the Solid.

Good info here... Do you have any experience with any type of protective wrap on your black cars? Do they eliminate the swirl / scratch issue?

I thought I had my color choice locked in with the flat black until they introduced the obsidian black. Does anyone have experience with obsidian on an S or seen them in person? I ordered flat black but I’m considering making a change and wanted input from someone who has seen them in person.

to put it in layman terms,

obsidian black is a deeper black black color whereas solid black is more of a whiter color black if that makes sense which also explains why others mention they can see swirls and dust easier.

obsidian black is the nicer color choice

In LBT (Life Before Tesla) I had a flat black Escalade and a metallic black ELR (which I loved). The flat black showed everything. I live in a wooded area off a dirt road and five minutes after washing it i could see a new coating of pollen or dust. In contrast, the metallic black ELR was much more forgiving. I will never have another flat black car but I would consider the metallic black. I would have to see it first though because I have noticed considerable variation in the appearance of the flakes in different metallic black paints.

A couple months ago when stalking Model 3s at the local delivery/service center, to see all the paint on the cars in person, I saw a Model S right next to a Solid Black Model 3. "Well damn, I wish it came in that colour." So when the option opened up I pulled the trigger on Obsidian.

I think it's right to put it as Obsidian Metallic Black is to Solid Black as Pearl White is to regular white. It's black but shimmering with a bunch of not-quite-black/ambient colours. Solid Black is very, very black and is going look blah without polishing (but it's not a proper matte black, either).

P.S. My working plan is to wrap anyway, so was leaning hard to Solid Black. But I made my peace with the extra $1K because I feel I have something of an option now, even if I'll probably need to get PPF anyway. Because black is black, even if Obsidian is more forgiving and durable than the Solid Black.

Last edited:
I don't have experience but many people are saying that the flat black shows dust and scratches like nobody's business compared to the obsidian black due to the metallic nature of the paint.

I wish people wouldn't call the non-Obsidian as "flat black". Flat implies to me a matte finish. Like some of those matte black vinyl wraps people do.
The standard black is more of a "gloss black" or "jet black" or "piano black".

And yes, it can look great if kept clean and waxed, but it does show dust/dirt/scratches more than the metallic finishes.

I think of obsidian black as a darker version of "midnight silver".

I wish people wouldn't call the non-Obsidian as "flat black". Flat implies to me a matte finish. Like some of those matte black vinyl wraps people do.

And yes, it can look great if kept clean and waxed, but it does show dust/dirt/scratches more than the metallic finishes.

I'm with you outside of "gloss black". That's not how I'd describe it at all, it doesn't really look "wet" naturally.

For those who are BMW fans it's like Jet Black vs Black Sapphire Metallic

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I’m struggling with same decision.

Thinking solid black and wrap the main body panels. Skip all the stuff around the doors, etc. makes the wrap somewhat more affordable.

Ordered Obsidian, and planning on doing at least a partial wrap. i'm hoping the self healing properties of the PPF would eliminate the swirl / scratch issues... then you just deal with dirt... i always hated looking at the glare off a black car and seeing the 'spiderwebs' in the paint. was hoping someone with experience with wrapping a black car could chime in if this is in fact the case, or if the films show just as poorly in the sun.