Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not impressed with brakes ..awd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned a tuned Evo 8 Mr .. that said I know this doesn't have the same performance in the braking.. but...

While traveling with other cars at a high rate of speed into a sweeping corner every car brand I've traveled with out brakes me into the turn. I'm talking like scrubbing of 10-15mph on the straight prior to turn set up .

I get a brake fade or feeling as if they just are not there at all . On the first use.. let alone how it effects the car to use the throttle to stay into the turn as apposed to being scared that you just went wide and crashed your car .

What's the complete cost to put something on the car that will be more fitting for it's performance..

Tesla didn't think we needed to stop as fast as start apparently.

Press harder. They’re definitely a little less power assisted than other cars.
On my AWD I was able to stop 60-0 in about 125 feet which is pretty good for all season tires. If your brakes don’t have enough power to activate the ABS you should have your car towed to a service center.
My issues are from 100 down to 80 ish .. just had it happen to me again.. it's like having to constantly second guess my entering speed on a unknown turn . For 5k is it just calipers that are needed and or lines and rotors .. and I bet I'm not pushing hard enough soon enough either ..

My issues are from 100 down to 80 ish .. just had it happen to me again.. it's like having to constantly second guess my entering speed on a unknown turn . For 5k is it just calipers that are needed and or lines and rotors .. and I bet I'm not pushing hard enough soon enough either ..
If you're regularly doing hard braking from 100mph you probably need a brake upgrade. Check out Mountain Pass Performance, they make a big brake rotor kit for the Model 3. You might get an improvement from just high performance pads and DOT 5.1 brake fluid.

I assume that part of the issue is "EV Brake pads"

While I have no evidence to support this, I assume that AWD TM3 have a quite soft pad compound, since EV use so little brakes unless really pushing it.

Brakes | Mountain Pass Performance
MPP has a big brake kit, which retails for $1400, New lines can also be had for a few hundred bucks. If going that far I'd go with a good brake fluid as well. Total cost shouldn't be more than $2500 for much better performance.

I have owned a tuned Evo 8 Mr .. that said I know this doesn't have the same performance in the braking.. but...

While traveling with other cars at a high rate of speed into a sweeping corner every car brand I've traveled with out brakes me into the turn. I'm talking like scrubbing of 10-15mph on the straight prior to turn set up .

I get a brake fade or feeling as if they just are not there at all . On the first use.. let alone how it effects the car to use the throttle to stay into the turn as apposed to being scared that you just went wide and crashed your car .

What's the complete cost to put something on the car that will be more fitting for it's performance..

Tesla didn't think we needed to stop as fast as start apparently.
You use your brakes?
I think you're driving it wrong.

You probably need to press harder on the brake pedal. The model 3’s brakes seem to require a higher amount of brake pedal force to achieve the same deceleration when compared to every other car I’ve driven. One time my car decided to inform me that regenerative braking was not available. I was surprised at the force required to slow the car down from 65mph going uphill. After putting it in park, exiting, locking it and entering it the message went away.

Reactions: SoCalGuy
I am all for the new pad set up first .. I agree that maybe the compound of the pads is soft.. I had a perfect set for my Evo that worked as good as the brembos at a quarter of the price .. I'll look up some aftermarket pads .. a quick search on the net showed a dude who cooked his pads on the first lap at Laguna seca ... So I think the pads just need a replacement and I'll be happy. But if not .. I appreciate your help everyone

Pretty unfair comparison really though. The Evos Brembos are on par with the sizing of the P3+ brakes, so don't expect the base model Tesla brakes to stand up to track type use.
Imagine the base model Lancer brakes on your Evo, rear drums and all....
Your Tesla just happens to be fast like the Evo Lol.

It appears to me that you are using your Model 3 to race on a track. That’s your choice, but it is a car designed for use on public roads, so it’s going to have some limitations when braking repeatedly at 100mph. I suggest you consider modifying your brakes if you are tracking your car.

Of course if your post was describing how you drive on public roads, I would have a different response...

More racing oriented brake fluid (with a careful flush) and pads might get you pretty far if the brakes are fading quickly. I'd try that before getting bigger brakes.

I neglected my brake fluid a little to long before a track event and after a few laps the brakes would just barely slow me down enough to allow a downshift. Not a problem I'd had before, or after, so not a brake size problem.

I could write a short book about my experience with brakes while being used in racing conditions and the related incorrect human perceptions. It sounds like you are describing an increase in braking distance and a decrease in lateral grip. This leads me to believe the tires on your previous car were superior to the tires on your Model 3. Everything in your first post lead me to this conclusion.
1. Can’t brake as late as you want to
2. Can’t get on the “throttle” as early as you think you should
3. When the brakes are at their best the Model 3 doesn’t slow you down as much as you think you should

Please let us know the model of tire you had on your previous car so we may offer you the best free advice possible.

A short except from my theoretical book.
“Most flight data recorders show that pilots that overrun a runway do not apply full brake pressure until there is little runway remaining. The data also shows that most overruns could be avoided if full brake pressure was applied soon after touchdown.”

I think the front rotors are undersized, I don't know what they were thinking.

That most folks wouldn't use them real hard :) especially with regen. Thus the big 'strong' brakes on the Performance 3 upgrade package

I've been thinking about the MPP rotor upgrade, lighter and more heat dissipation. Seems a good way to go if you're more aggressive with your driving style. Brake pads make a world of difference too, don't discount that for sure, I've often been amazed what a stock braking system can do with better pads, track pads for the track is huge..

• Love
Reactions: MountainPass
That most folks wouldn't use them real hard :) especially with regen. Thus the big 'strong' brakes on the Performance 3 upgrade package

I've been thinking about the MPP rotor upgrade, lighter and more heat dissipation. Seems a good way to go if you're more aggressive with your driving style. Brake pads make a world of difference too, don't discount that for sure, I've often been amazed what a stock braking system can do with better pads, track pads for the track is huge..

I agree, I actually hope to never use my brakes because brake dust. But I'm just saying if you take regen out of the equation the brakes are undersized. That's why people are reporting what they are feeling. I'm not saying they are inadequate, just slightly small rotors for a 4000 pound car.