Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not able to connect Tesla's Wifi to home network?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it sees both access points. States it can't join "network name"
Please check the password. I have multiple iPhones and iPads joined with the same password..
Does your password contain any special characters, anything that might have gone wrong when typing it in?
I had my car connect to three different WPA protected networks without a problem, but apparently mistyped my passwords a few times as I got the same error. Going slow and deliberate finally did the trick.

Another possibility to check for those having trouble connecting to their wireless router:

Mine was set to broadcast purely in 802.11x (not sure which of the g, n, etc. varieties it was). I had trouble connecting. I changed the router settings to broadcast in 802.11 g, n, etc. and connected right away.

My psychic powers tell me you have special characters (characters other than letters, digits, hyphen, period, comma) in your password.

Your physic powers are way off. Only letters and numbers.

I have an old Linksys WRT54G running "tomato" I just pulled out and setup in the garage (yes, I already had a wire for this)
I've now tried "no security" (basically an unsecured access point), still won't join. Tried "B" only, "G" only , no dice.
Ran a scan of wifi networks in the area (tomato can do that), tried channels with nothing else on them , or very weak other access points, no luck. There are serious issues with Teslas WiFi implementation, as you can see, I am not new to WiFi networking or LANs

BTW, the iPhone I'm using joins all of these access points with no issues, including GARAGE I just setup

image.jpg

Last edited:
Just received and installed 5.8 (had 4.5)
I have multiple Wifi routers in range, and I can't get the Model S to join.
Tried rebooting the center screen, didn't make a difference.
Is there any trick to getting the car to connect?

Mitch

Well, MY wifi insists that I push the reset / connect button on the wifi while the car is trying to connect. As the car is in a separate garage, it usually entails yells and hollerings. "OK, I pushed connect." "OK. What button do I push?" "The one in the middle!" "Which one?" "Wait. It failed. Let me restart it." "What?"

The trick is getting my wife and me to connect.

Yikes! I have a complex password on my WiFi setup with many, many devices configured and working on it. Looks like I'll be turning on the "Guest" network for the car... :mad:

I think this is a more serious issue, perhaps some of the lower VIN cars have hardware issues with the WiFi, as mine is a lower numbered VIN, and I can't even get it to join an "Open" (no password) access point 15' behind the car. This wifi hardware is being activated and used for the first time, would not surprise me to discover some of it is defective.

Update: called Tesla Watertown service (Matt), he's not aware of any issues yet, but will try and get an update. I might take a drive up there and see if I can connect to Teslas wifi (profile is built in). Also he suggested a reboot of the center console, that was the first thing I did after getting the update..

Last edited:
Yikes! I have a complex password on my WiFi setup with many, many devices configured and working on it. Looks like I'll be turning on the "Guest" network for the car... :mad:
It's a guess to troubleshoot. Don't assume I'm right here, please. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

- - - Updated - - -

The trick is getting my wife and me to connect.
I think there are some videos online for that. ;)

I didn't have any wifi issues. Connected to my home network first try.

Looks like they also fixed the weird digit styling once you cross over the 10kWh usage.

Old style:
6ebe5eve.jpg

New style:
tuqeqahu.jpg

Also notice the difference between the odometer and the trip meter. Apparently the car thinks it went on a trip 1 mile further than the car actually went. lol

I had to reconnect to wifi about 20 times to get it to connect. I also rebooted the big screen once.

I called Tesla in Freemont, they are going to "check the logs" and see if they can figure out why my car won't connect via WiFi, 3 different access points/networks, even tried "no security" (open), wouldn't even connect to that one. Done multiple reboots of the screens already as well.

Your physic powers are way off. Only letters and numbers.

I have an old Linksys WRT54G running "tomato" I just pulled out and setup in the garage (yes, I already had a wire for this)
I've now tried "no security" (basically an unsecured access point), still won't join. Tried "B" only, "G" only , no dice.
Ran a scan of wifi networks in the area (tomato can do that), tried channels with nothing else on them , or very weak other access points, no luck. There are serious issues with Teslas WiFi implementation, as you can see, I am not new to WiFi networking or LANs

BTW, the iPhone I'm using joins all of these access points with no issues, including GARAGE I just setup
I have been trying unsuccessfully for the last week (since I got 5.6) to connect to ANY WiFi network I can find. I was upgraded to v5.8 this morning and have been trying all day with no success.
I've reset my wireless router, even upgraded it's firmware and still can not connect.
I ensured that my vehicles MAC address is in the allowed MAC address table and can not connect.
I eventually disabled MAC filtering and still can not connect.
I've connected all my other WiFi capable devices (at the same time) with no problem. (Password is Upper/lower case and numbers, no special characters)
I've driven around the neighborhood (mixed commercial and hi rise residential buildings) I can see many open networks but can not connect.
I've even tried to connect to my BlackVue dashcam WiFi connection to see the camera's menu with no success. (I figured this wouldn't work anyway, but had to try)
I guess I might take the long drive to the local SC to see if I can connect to them, at least if it doesn't work I will be there already..

It can't be that my router is made by this "Linksys/Cisco" company that no one has ever heard of... Maybe I should go with a company that has experience with network communications...:biggrin:

Last edited:
I have been trying unsuccessfully for the last week (since I got 5.6) to connect to ANY WiFi network I can find. I was upgraded to v5.8 this morning and have been trying all day with no success.
I've reset my wireless router, even upgraded it's firmware and still can not connect.
I ensured that my vehicles MAC address is in the allowed MAC address table and can not connect.
I eventually disabled MAC filtering and still can not connect.
I've connected all my other WiFi capable devices (at the same time) with no problem.
I've driven around the neighborhood (mixed commercial and hi rise residential buildings) I can see many open networks but can not connect.
I've even tried to connect to my BlackVue dashcam WiFi connection toe see the camera's menu with no success. (I figured this wouldn't work anyway, but had to try)
I guess I might take the long drive to the local SC to see if I can connect to them, at least if it doesn't work I will be there already..

It can't be that my router is made by this "Linksys/Cisco" company that no one has ever heard of... Maybe I should go with a company that has experience with network communications...:biggrin:

Does this issue need its own thread?
You went through way more effort than I normally would. I say normally because I went through a similar torment with my wifi at home w/r/t to my dashcam. My theory all along was that my router was suck -- and I was right -- such that after replacing my router everything immediately got sane, stable, and fast.

In your case, reading the tea leaves I'm guessing it's worth a trip to the service center to put your in-car wifi device through some diagnostics. Bummer, but that sounds like the likely culprit.

You went through way more effort than I normally would.
I'm an IT guy, so I am probably used to banging my head against the wall trying to get things to work. in the end it is usually something simple.
My router is only about a year old, but there was a new revision right after I bought it. I would just hate buying a new router to find out that it was not the problem.
On the other hand I live in a high rise and need to move my car to the top floor of our parking structure and park in someone else's spot to even see my router. (cable company is installing a WiFi hot spot near my parking spot in the future, but I could not connect to their other WiFi hot spots, so not promising there either)

dsmith2189, it's entirely possible that some of us have a hardware issue with the WiFi on the Model S, this is the first time it's actually been usable. I called Tesla and they are going to check my vehicle logs, to see if they can discover the issue. I'm like you, I have multiple routers at home, and I've tried just about everything, it just does not work. I'm wondering how they tested the WiFi hardware, if there was no software support prior to the 5.X releases.

dsmith2189, it's entirely possible that some of us have a hardware issue with the WiFi on the Model S, this is the first time it's actually been usable. I called Tesla and they are going to check my vehicle logs, to see if they can discover the issue. I'm like you, I have multiple routers at home, and I've tried just about everything, it just does not work. I'm wondering how they tested the WiFi hardware, if there was no software support prior to the 5.X releases.

Well, I made some progress.
I was able to get my car to connect with my phones WiFi connection. trade one 3G/4G connection for another. I guess that's progress, at least I could connect to something.
Now I have taken brianman's advice and purchased a Netgear router to replace my Linksys E4200. If that doesn't work I'll contact ownership and see if they have any advice.
in the mean time... more testing. possibly start a hardware compatibility list wIki somewhere.

Last edited: