Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S 2013 bms errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with a 2013 Tesla S. There was a problem after charging overnight and the car could not be driven. After some time, the errors disappeared and came back. After 10 days of standing, I wanted to open the car, but it didn't work. I connected 12v in an emergency and the car came to life. There are no errors at the moment but I know they will come back.
The HV battery was replaced with a new one under warranty a year ago.

Please give me some tips

Below is a list of errors.

BMS_f011_HW_Illegal_Ctr_Req Unable to start vehicle
Service is required
CPLD detected a condition preventing contactor closurecustomer, service-fix, factory
BMS_w010_SW_Neg_Contactor_Drive Service is required
Schedule service now
unexpected current level through negative contactor drive circuitcustomer, service-fix, factory
BMS_w011_HW_Illegal_Ctr_Req BMS_w011_HW_Illegal_Ctr_Reqservice-fix, factory
BMS_w086_SW_Not_Ok_To_Precharge Unable to start vehicle
Service is required
Some conditions preventing the BMS to allow precharge and contactor closurecustomer, service-fix, factory
GTW_w017_accLoadShed Electrical system power reduced
Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly
GTW_w017_accLoadShedcustomer, service
GTW_w018_hvacLoadShed Electrical system power reduced
Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly
GTW_w018_hvacLoadShedcustomer, service
GTW_w157_lowVoltageSupportFault Power reduced
Vehicle systems shutting down
GTW_w157_lowVoltageSupportFaultcustomer, service
GTW_w405_12VNotSupported GTW_w405_12VNotSupportedservice-fix

Since car is 2013 and in Berlin (presumably sees rain, how about salted roads?) Disconnect and clean DCDC1 HV connectors. See below. Be sure to know how to disable HV safely before touching the area.

Since car is 2013 and in Berlin (presumably sees rain, how about salted roads?) Disconnect and clean DCDC1 HV connectors. See below. Be sure to know how to disable HV safely before touching the area.

dcdc looks clean like new one.

dcdc looks clean like new one.

Mine looked new too and connectors looked fine but connectors contacts were the failure point. It’s a high moisture area. Windshield water runoff has a drain dump just behind DCDC1 (then drips onto fuse cover) and wheel liner has big hole at upper control arm to spray water inwards and backwards.

DCDC1 Connectors have rubber seal inside for moisture protection but again it’s a moisture rich area. DCDC1 case and these connectors will have water drops on it every time driven in rain.

But of course HV problem could be anywhere in the HV system and not just DCDC1. Hard to find failure area and your problem is intermittent. I guess best time is when car stop driving and follow Tesla procedure to test HV system.

Need to be knowledgeable on HV safety working around any part of the HV system. It’s deadly.

Anyway. Good luck.

Last edited: