Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi incompatibility with Eero Pro?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I've been having a strange compatibility issue between my 2020 Tesla Model 3 and my Eero Pro (2nd gen) mesh network. Some details:
  • I actually bought and installed the Eeros to ensure my home wifi range extended far enough to reach my Tesla which is street parked in front of my house, about 50-60' from the nearest Eero Pro. The Eeros are operated in bridge mode (for reasons I can't fully remember but had something to do with quirks of the Actiontec Fios modem I have to interface with for my ISP)
  • The system worked beautifully, until it all of a sudden didn't and my car stopped connecting to the Eeros at all. Honestly things were quite busy at that time so I don't remember exactly when I first noticed the issue but I have been dealing with it for a couple months at least (so something probably happened in early 2022)
  • I've tried reseting my car (soft and hard reset), deleting the wifi connection in the car and recreating it (manually entering the SSID as at this point the M3 simply refuses to detect the Eero SSID when it scans for networks), temporarily disabling 5GHz on the Eero as part of its troubleshooting, and simply waiting to hope the problem goes away. There have been software updates applied to both the Eero and to the Tesla since the issue started and the issue has remained without any obvious change through those updates
  • As far as I can tell, my car will successfully detect and connect to pretty much any OTHER wifi (for instance, my phone operating in Wifi hotspot mode, the wifi at my parents house, and most interesting to me it will connect w/o issue to the Actiontec Fios modem that the Eeros are bridging to)
  • Similarly, I have dozens of devices connected to my Eero system over Wifi and as best as I can tell no other device has had any problems connecting into the Eero mesh network
  • Perhaps I'm missing something obvious but the Eeros don't really seem to offer much help when attempting to debug the issue. For instance I can see what devices are currently connected, but I don't see any clear way to view log messages at lower level showing failed connection requests or any low-level messages at all that might give some insight into what is actually happening, so I can fix it (or at very least file a more detailed bug report with Tesla and/or Eero)
  • I've been googling to try to find anyone else that might have experienced something similar to this and posted their experience, but the closest I've found was the forum post on TMC below (and here it seems like the underlying issue wasn't with the Eeros at all but rather with the ISP, which doesn't seem to be the case for me since I'm able to connect just fine if I bypass the Eeros and connect to the Actiontec modem they're bridging) - Mystery Wifi Problem
So I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge in certain areas here but I'm quite frustrated at this point and don't feel like I have a clear smoking gun to point the finger at either the Eero or the model 3 (really it seems like some sort of pathological interaction between them given my observations above). I'm willing to do my own debugging as I've tried to do above but have run out of ideas esp. since I can't figure out how to get more diagnostic info from the Eeros. So hoping 1) perhaps someone more knowledgable than me has had this problem and solved it, or 2) someone can point me to a new fix or test I can try that I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with eero mesh network. I know my response is not going to be much help but my eero Mesh network has been working great for over 2 years. This is what I have plus additional two beacons. One beacon is in the garage.

Sometimes my network would act strangely, I usually power cycle ALL eero devices and things would go back to normal. Also power cycling your modem/router that connects to your eero can help.

If WiFi is still enabled in your modem/router, you might want to disable it to prevent possible interference with eero WiFi.

Peter

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses. I spent a long time on the phone with Eero support. They weren't able to solve it but a couple things became clear:
  • They were unable to see any connection attempts from the car within the window where they store tech support data (which was not disclosed but I got the feeling it was at least a couple weeks worth of logs). This is even when I was manually attempting to force the car to connect by clearing the stored Eero SSID and re-entering
  • There seems to be a bug in the Tesla wifi UI, as when I attempt to connect to the Eero it tells me I already have a stored connection (but there's no connection in the list of stored connections) and asks me if I want to forget the connection. But if I tap the Forget button it just clears the wifi info I just entered and drops me back into the manual Wifi UI
So at this point I'm almost certain there's at least some issue on Tesla's side (if nothing other than that there's a software bug preventing me from fully clearing its cached info for the Eero and recreating the connection). I have an appointment at the Tesla service center on Tuesday morning. My hopes aren't super high but I'm hoping they can at least clear up the Wifi UI issue I mentioned above. If anyone has seen anything like this (or might have seen something but needs more details) please let me know

Upvote 0
museee,

I'm leaning to agree with you that something is fishy going on with your Tesla computer not liking eero WiFi network. My Tesla Model 3 is also MY2020 but does not have FSD and dual motor but not sure if it matters.

I hope the Tesla service person will come to your house instead of you dropping off your car off to Tesla Service Center because they need to work with your eero WiFi network to better diagnose your WiFi network issue.

Maybe try enabling WPA3 in your eero app to see if this will help.

Peter

Upvote 0
I decided to experiment by enabling WPA3 in eero and it still works fine. I suspect WPA3 is backward compatible to WPA2.

Peter

I'll go try that now. I have had WPA3 turned off for over a year because it would not allow my Wall Connector or Tesla Model 3 to connect properly. Last time I checked it was probably 6 months ago. Maybe it's finally fixed!

Here's some more threads where this problem has been discussed in the past:

There are more out there, but you get the idea. While WPA3 should certainly be backwards compatible with WPA2, it's not always the case and Tesla in particular seemed to have issues. Tesla or Eero may have fixed with an update.

Tim

Upvote 0
museee,

I'm leaning to agree with you that something is fishy going on with your Tesla computer not liking eero WiFi network. My Tesla Model 3 is also MY2020 but does not have FSD and dual motor but not sure if it matters.

I hope the Tesla service person will come to your house instead of you dropping off your car off to Tesla Service Center because they need to work with your eero WiFi network to better diagnose your WiFi network issue.

Maybe try enabling WPA3 in your eero app to see if this will help.

Peter

I have an eero 6 pro as well. Earlier in the week I think an update was messing with connections. My phone kept going between LTE / WI-FI. If there are any setting / screens you’d like to see let me know and I’ll happily DM or post here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have an eero 6 pro as well. Earlier in the week I think an update was messing with connections. My phone kept going between LTE / WI-FI. If there are any setting / screens you’d like to see let me know and I’ll happily
Sometimes after an eero firmware update, power cycling ALL eero devices may be required.

I just updated firmware in my eero yesterday and it works fine.

Peter

Upvote 0
Hi, I've been having a strange compatibility issue between my 2020 Tesla Model 3 and my Eero Pro (2nd gen) mesh network. Some details:
  • I actually bought and installed the Eeros to ensure my home wifi range extended far enough to reach my Tesla which is street parked in front of my house, about 50-60' from the nearest Eero Pro. The Eeros are operated in bridge mode (for reasons I can't fully remember but had something to do with quirks of the Actiontec Fios modem I have to interface with for my ISP)
  • The system worked beautifully, until it all of a sudden didn't and my car stopped connecting to the Eeros at all. Honestly things were quite busy at that time so I don't remember exactly when I first noticed the issue but I have been dealing with it for a couple months at least (so something probably happened in early 2022)
  • I've tried reseting my car (soft and hard reset), deleting the wifi connection in the car and recreating it (manually entering the SSID as at this point the M3 simply refuses to detect the Eero SSID when it scans for networks), temporarily disabling 5GHz on the Eero as part of its troubleshooting, and simply waiting to hope the problem goes away. There have been software updates applied to both the Eero and to the Tesla since the issue started and the issue has remained without any obvious change through those updates
  • As far as I can tell, my car will successfully detect and connect to pretty much any OTHER wifi (for instance, my phone operating in Wifi hotspot mode, the wifi at my parents house, and most interesting to me it will connect w/o issue to the Actiontec Fios modem that the Eeros are bridging to)
  • Similarly, I have dozens of devices connected to my Eero system over Wifi and as best as I can tell no other device has had any problems connecting into the Eero mesh network
  • Perhaps I'm missing something obvious but the Eeros don't really seem to offer much help when attempting to debug the issue. For instance I can see what devices are currently connected, but I don't see any clear way to view log messages at lower level showing failed connection requests or any low-level messages at all that might give some insight into what is actually happening, so I can fix it (or at very least file a more detailed bug report with Tesla and/or Eero)
  • I've been googling to try to find anyone else that might have experienced something similar to this and posted their experience, but the closest I've found was the forum post on TMC below (and here it seems like the underlying issue wasn't with the Eeros at all but rather with the ISP, which doesn't seem to be the case for me since I'm able to connect just fine if I bypass the Eeros and connect to the Actiontec modem they're bridging) - Mystery Wifi Problem
So I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge in certain areas here but I'm quite frustrated at this point and don't feel like I have a clear smoking gun to point the finger at either the Eero or the model 3 (really it seems like some sort of pathological interaction between them given my observations above). I'm willing to do my own debugging as I've tried to do above but have run out of ideas esp. since I can't figure out how to get more diagnostic info from the Eeros. So hoping 1) perhaps someone more knowledgable than me has had this problem and solved it, or 2) someone can point me to a new fix or test I can try that I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
**Solved** Under "Discover" - "eero +" then disable Advanced Security

Upvote 0
I've had some weird occurrences over the year with our MY not wanting to connect to our old home router. I could see it but not connect. I removed the SSID and tried again. After many two finger reboots, and screen power offs It finally worked. I would think to fully ensure that the wifi module powers down and fully resets, you can always try a hard reset.

Another idea just thought of though. In order to ensure there is no weird security issues with the eero, is to create an open guest SSID with no security. See if the car will connect. If so, then you narrowed it down to a security WPA issue.
Hope that helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: SalisburySam
Upvote 0