Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nose-in or back-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had always pulled in front wise when parking my ICEs. To be economical and lose the least resistance due to wire length, I elected to to install my NEMA approx 8" under my subpanel and now back in. I have plenty of room width wise, but very little length wise, so it can be a bit of challenge to get her in just right. But based on front and rear overhang, I get more room behind the car for my workbench and laundry than if I pull the nose in. So it seems to work well for me and a side benefit is that it forces me to hone my backing in skills everyday; something that I had taken for granted, because she needs to be in a exact position to allow for the 2" clearance I allow between the nose and garage door so that I have enough room behind me. I blew it once and it took 3 hours to buff the nosecone back to life. A lesson well learned.

And added benefit: The garage looks MUCH better from the street when the glistening car is looking out at the street, rather that showing her booty, not matter how lovely it is!

I'm hoping that the automatic home garage parking feature coming Real Soon Now will do back in parking. With all the ultra sonic sensors it's seems very reasonable technically.

It depends on the accuracy that you want. The laser is probably good to an inch; I have found the ultrasonic sensors to be +/- a few inches in accuracy in my garage.

It depends on the accuracy that you want. The laser is probably good to an inch; I have found the ultrasonic sensors to be +/- a few inches in accuracy in my garage.
Interesting, that's far worse than I would have expected. Even pretty cheap ultrasonic sensors can measure distances with better than an inch accuracy, actually better than a cm.

Interesting idea. Of course, I imagine I would have to run two circuits, as daisy-chaining the outlets is probably not up to code.

Well....I put in a transfer switch.....and it is to code. This example (pic below) has a NEMA 14-50 and an HPWC on the same circuit, routed through a manual transfer switch (inside the building). The same could be done with 2 14-50 in a garage. Note: The switch below was to offer a solution for others. I listed the charger on PlugShare, as there are VERY few charging options in my area. This month, 3 Teslas and 1 Leaf have charged up.

Tesla charge.jpg

Well....I put in a transfer switch.....and it is to code. This example (pic below) has a NEMA 14-50 and an HPWC on the same circuit, routed through a manual transfer switch (inside the building). The same could be done with 2 14-50 in a garage. Note: The switch below was to offer a solution for others. I listed the charger on PlugShare, as there are VERY few charging options in my area. This month, 3 Teslas and 1 Leaf have charged up.

View attachment 78834
Cool idea. Of course I that case I might just put in a subpanel. It would make it much easier to install an HPWC in the future.

I don't understand; does the manual transfer switch allow 80-amp charging through the HPWC, OR 40-amp charging through the NEMA 14-50, or can both run at the same time?

View attachment 78834

I don't understand; does the manual transfer switch allow 80-amp charging through the HPWC, OR 40-amp charging through the NEMA 14-50, or can both run at the same time?

It's an exclusive or. One or the other. Not both. I learned the meaning of "transfer switch" from generator backups: in the case of a transfer switch, you can only run on generator OR utility (typically). This annoyed me since it meant it would almost certainly have to be redone completely if I wanted automatic generator startup with a battery backup to cross the startup time (UPS), or if I wanted to splash some solar electric power in there too and combine it with other sources (such as utility, battery, and generator). This was back when no regular solar array could support the whole house, so one went hunting for every angle. Now, solar arrays can supply a whole house, so it's a bit simpler, and the electronics for smart integration of all the elements are standard too. You almost don't even hear transfer switch any more, but I'm sure there's a bunch of them everywhere from the bad old days of generators.

Last edited:
It's either/or. Both cannot run at the same time. It's a way of using smaller cables, and 1 X 240 volt (2 pole) circuit - in response to the original question on the thread about running 2 14-50 receptacles on one circuit.