Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall walk through done, how do I figure out my estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 1.5 years on the sideline, got the Ok to proceed

Power wall available in my area

Just had my walk through and was sent my estimate

I dont understand nor does it tell me where my final destination of the power wall is

Tesla listed a Panel Upgrade. Said my buss bar showed damage, burned areas, and will not support power wall or an inspection.

I have a 25 year old 100 amp panel On quote for 6K

What do they replace my panel with? 200? 250? it does not say Just a price

the location of the power wall? Cant have this in my garage? no sprinklers in garage? is what i was told

One location was on the other side of house directly behind my bed?

very limited as Tesla says i dont have many locations to use

Install is 6K

I have Solar and this will be integrated into system

I had a 7KW solar city system installed ten years ago. Per my paperwork

Tesla says it is a 5KW. If it is a 5 Kw. Who is responsible for the error? Am i still responsible if they installed the wrong size unit?

This is a side question

Because of this I can not get a second power wall and I dont have space on roof for additional solar panels. Tesla rep said they cant use patio covers

Thoughts on this process?

I have SCE in my area and get the privilege of 4 to 5 outages a month. I need some back up. Most are 1 day or so outages.

The worst was 7 days after large Fire. My neighborhood has underground electrical too.....

I also have three electric cars. One always charging nightly. Smart, Model 3 and a Model Y

Supercharger 1 mile away, That never goes down even when we had the 7 day outage? No power, no problem, Supercharger always up. Good to know but frustrating that my house wont say up

thanks for looking

After 1.5 years on the sideline, got the Ok to proceed

Power wall available in my area

Just had my walk through and was sent my estimate

I dont understand nor does it tell me where my final destination of the power wall is

Tesla listed a Panel Upgrade. Said my buss bar showed damage, burned areas, and will not support power wall or an inspection.

the location of the power wall? Cant have this in my garage? no sprinklers in garage? is what i was told

One location was on the other side of house directly behind my bed?

very limited as Tesla says i dont have many locations to use

Install is 6K

I have Solar and this will be integrated into system

Tesla says it is a 5KW. If it is a 5 Kw. Who is responsible for the error? Am i still responsible if they installed the wrong size unit?

This is a side question

Because of this I can not get a second power wall and I dont have space on roof for additional solar panels. Tesla rep said they cant use patio covers

I have SCE in my area and get the privilege of 4 to 5 outages a month. I need some back up. Most are 1 day or so outages.

The worst was 7 days after large Fire. My neighborhood has underground electrical too.....

I also have three electric cars. One always charging nightly. Smart, Model 3 and a Model Y

Supercharger 1 mile away, That never goes down even when we had the 7 day outage? No power, no problem, Supercharger always up. Good to know but frustrating that my house wont say up

thanks for looking
Posting a de-identified version of your estimate might help you get help. However, many of the question that you are asking are unlikely to be resolved in detail until your site is in the application process.

Have you read the general threads on garage installations and the requirements to install powerwalls away from doors and windows into habited areas? That might help you understand the constraints, and probable outcomes.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Docfxit
Once they complete your installation diagram drawing there will be a proposed location. If that already exists, contact your advisor to ask the question.

The device will be on the installation plans. Contact your Tesla advisor regarding this.
Rules have changed and Tesla is not willing to jump through all the additional hoops required to do inside garage installs. There is a large thread here on this topic but the end result is "plan on installing outside if you are doing this now, in CA".

Probably whomever from Tesla is telling you right now that its a 5k system. My guess is is that its a 7k system with an inverter thats close to 5k size. Solar city doesnt exist as a company any longer, so you need to discuss any perceived discrepancy with Tesla.
That it takes patience to purchase Solar from Tesla, just like the Cars. The amount of customer service on the process is not much different between the two (cars and solar). The Tesla advisor is the place to get specific questions answered, but you will need to be willing to wait for the turn around for them to answer your question(s).
This isnt really relevant to powerwall ownership. whether one has EVs or not doesnt have any bearing on battery storage.

Reactions: Docfxit
Thanks for the reply
did not know how the power wall acts at night if a car starts to charge

If the load is greater will it start to take power from SCE at not fully drain the power wall

No car charging and the load of the house at night will be off the power wall

Waiting for Tesla to contact me regarding the plans

Bummer on the in Garage as that would be the best location

Last question i had, if i get a Cyber truck, can this install also get a transfer switch
So in the event of a longer power outage I can plug in the cyber truck to help with the load?

As we type I have been notified by SCE that i may have a power outage again, Wind kicked up

Thanks

did not know how the power wall acts at night if a car starts to charge

If the load is greater will it start to take power from SCE at not fully drain the power wall
Depends on if your wall connector is on the backup loads side, or the non backed up loads side, and whether the powerwall can see the wall connector or not. There is no one size fits all answer for this... but .... "In General..."

IF the wall connector is on the backed up loads side, and IF the grid is connected, THEN whether the powerwall will supply power to the car charging when it starts depends on the reserve level set for the powerwall, and whether the powerwall is set to self powered mode or Time based control mode, and what the buy and sell price of power is.

IF the wall connector is on the backed up loads side, and IF the grid is NOT connected, then the powerwall will supply power to the car charging based on the "Vehicle charging" percentage setting.

IF the powerwall is on the non backed up loads panel, and NOT monitored by the powerwall, it will pull power from the grid if on grid, and obviously no where if no grid (non backed up loads)

IF the powerwall is on the non backed up loads panel and IS monitored by the powerwall, then it will supply power to the car charging when on grid (down to reserve or time based control mode as in the first point), or Not provide any power when off grid (its on the non backed up loads side).

I am probably missing some permutations, but thats the best I can explain it and I am sure I am missing something, so thats the best I can do on this topic.
No car charging and the load of the house at night will be off the power wall

Depending on reserve setting, time based control setting, etc... maybe.
Last question i had, if i get a Cyber truck, can this install also get a transfer switch
So in the event of a longer power outage I can plug in the cyber truck to help with the load?
No, there is no vehicle to grid on any Tesla currently, and no plans from Tesla to provide such a thing regardless of people trying like mad to "speak it into existence".

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder