Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wondering about generator use with Solar Roof and Powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a fairly simple system, Solar Roof feeding single Gateway thru two inverters, with Powerwalls. Grid power, inverters, and Powerwalls connect to Gateway, and the Gateway feeds the load center thru the 200A main breaker. It's been in operation since mid June of 2023. Grid power outages are common here, so before getting the solar system I used a generator during outages. The generator puts out a 30A 240V circuit, which feeds my load center bus thru a sub panel from the barn. I was in the habit of manually isolating from the grid to do this.

Yesterday, wind took out our power once more via downed trees interrupting the supply. The initial estimate from BGE was about 3 days for restoration, they had many outages from the large storm. I'm only generation about 12-16 kwh on a good day this time of year, so even tho I had charged my batteries to 100% before the montages I was not certain about how long an outage I could weather. It only ended up a 17 hour outage, and we didn't run the heat pump, just ran backup propane heat. Got decent sun today, and might have made 3 days or more with low use and decent generation.

But.... I began to think about running the generator. I thought of two possible ways of doing this:
1. Wait until the powerwalls go low, throw the main to isolate from the Gateway, and use generator power as before, or
2. Run the generator at night, depending on the Gateway for grid isolation, to power low-level demand and charge Powerwalls

I don't know if that second method is actually feasible. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions?

Solution
I've been reading about things called Chargeverter's in the DIY solar forums, they're generally discussed in the context of using a gas/propane generator to provide backup to solar generally in off-grid solar/battery scenarios. They can take modified sine wave output from cheap generators, and are not necessarily that expensive. However, since they're more for off-grid batteries, they're designed more for 12V/24V/48V DC output since that's what DIY battery banks typically use.

So not sure if they provide the proper DC voltage and amps to feed into the OP's solar inverters, which the specs are not specified. And in any case some wiring would need to be modified to decouple the solar roof and couple the generator to the inverter...