Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-CPO 2013 P85+ with remaining warranty.. good deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys
I've been shopping for a while for a Tesla and honing in on the lower range (approx 50k) for a used MS.

I found one nearby that I'm interested
2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Performance Plus Package - Carbon Fiber - Used Tesla Model S for sale in Trabuco Canyon, California | autoquid.com

They claim new was 120k, seems to have bought it CPO 2 years ago and almost 2 years of the transferrable warranty is remaining which makes it close to the 2y warranty CPO ones.

What are your thoughts? I wasn't looking for the P85+ in the first place but I like Red color and to have all the options doesn't hurt and mileage is low.

Seems like he's been trying to sell it on Ebay 3 times already and the highest he got was 47k.

Thanks!

He's not lying about it being CPO, and the CPO mileage is correct (25,556+50,000 miles):

upload_2018-2-20_21-8-5.png

Looks like they bought it for $67,400, so they're taking a $20k hit on it for a little over two years.

Seems like a pretty good price. If you're closeby and can go see it, or even better go get a pre-purchase inspection from Tesla that could reduce the risk and raise your comfort level. The P85+ is a great car to own. Also realize a car this early doesn't have parking sensors or folding side mirrors. You also might want to find out (from the owner or Tesla) if it has had a drive unit replaced.

Good luck!

Awesome thanks Hank, nice to get a reply from the EV-CPO founder, a website that I use often.

I was searching the web archives to confirm that it was indeed a CPO, didn't know it was available on your website albeit with a subscription (which I'm gonna get this is so useful feature for private sale of CPOs!).

I know this is a very early car based on the serial number, and people have complained about interior being less than ideal and the lack of autopilot hardware, but I think it should be a great car overall. And you seem to have had one and getting your blessing on the price is great :)

Also the fact that it was a CPO 2 years ago hopefully it has been "refurbished" and the early issues fixed. Will see with seller if they have pre-CPO history but I doubt it, and get input on what they have done last 2 years. Other than drive unit replaced, anything to worry about other parts that have been recalled ie. brakes, power steering, etc?

Thanks for the tip on doing a Tesla inspection, wasn't sure how to do one if at all needed other than looking at service records, since this one unlike many private non-CPO sales is still under the CPO warranty !

Thanks Hank.

I know this is a very early car based on the serial number, and people have complained about interior being less than ideal and the lack of autopilot hardware, but I think it should be a great car overall. And you seem to have had one and getting your blessing on the price is great :)

My P85+ was VIN 15xxx and I had very little problems with it. I did have the DU replaced around 30k miles due to a buzzing sound and a "clunk" upon acceleration which sounded like a typical U-joint in an ICE car. The interior was fine, and I never had a problem with the door handles. One of the best mods I did to account for no parking sensors was install this 3rd party kit: Front/Rear Camera Touchscreen Switch Kit - SOLD -- the first run was years ago, and @artsci is working on a second run now. It is THE BEST mod you can do for any Model S or X.

Other than drive unit replaced, anything to worry about other parts that have been recalled ie. brakes, power steering, etc?

No problems at all with the brakes or steering. The steering is electro-mechanical, so no steering fluids or pumps, etc. The brakes on early cars are hydraulic, and do need fluid changes during annual service (I think once every two years).

My P85+ was VIN 15xxx and I had very little problems with it. I did have the DU replaced around 30k miles due to a buzzing sound and a "clunk" upon acceleration which sounded like a typical U-joint in an ICE car. The interior was fine, and I never had a problem with the door handles. One of the best mods I did to account for no parking sensors was install this 3rd party kit: Front/Rear Camera Touchscreen Switch Kit - SOLD -- the first run was years ago, and @artsci is working on a second run now. It is THE BEST mod you can do for any Model S or X.

No problems at all with the brakes or steering. The steering is electro-mechanical, so no steering fluids or pumps, etc. The brakes on early cars are hydraulic, and do need fluid changes during annual service (I think once every two years).

Thanks HankLloydRight,
I just heard back from the seller. When I see the car in person I will ask for more details but I assume it's impossible to know history pre-CPO unless seller has had requested it back then. And drivetrain is warrantied until 8y is over right?

Seller said:
The only things that have been replaced under warranty were the moon roof seals and the infotainment touchscreen. Brakes won't need to be replaced anytime soon (Tesla's use Regen for breaking so brakes are hardly used). Tesla's are heavy so tires are replaced yearly (depending on how much you drive). It's the only part that will need maintenance (& refilling the windshield wiper fluid). Tires have some tread on them but will need to be replaced in a few months.

From your website I see this model has Ludicrous mode but can't confirm it based on the specs sheet they have (image attached). What is the 0-60 with Ludicrous mode on? Can't seem to find data anywhere on that 2013 P85+

Also love your detail pricing of their CPO looks like it sat for a while before being sold !
And when I run the vin check it says Missouri as the original 50mi record:
2013 Tesla Model S Rating Breakdown

But CPO shows Orange County.. so maybe they moved to OC and sold to Tesla or Tesla moved the inventory to appear as OC? Just worried if it was driven in snow/rust belt..

Lastly how do you schedule a Tesla inspection ? Just call service center??

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 00z0z_6wXiugJcS4Q_1200x900.jpg
    00z0z_6wXiugJcS4Q_1200x900.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 55
  • tesla evcpo.png
    tesla evcpo.png
    497.2 KB · Views: 35
n (Tesla's use Regen for breaking so brakes are hardly used).

People keep saying this, but it's just not true! Yes, Tesla use brakes less, but far from "hardly used." Regen braking works well going from 60 to 40 or 30 to 10, but you still always need brakes to come to a complete stop unless you have infinite rollout space to coast to a stop. People are deluded if they think they never use the brakes and regen does all the work. It's just so unconscious, they just don't realize how often you actually use the real brakes.

Tesla's are heavy so tires are replaced yearly (depending on how much you drive)

Again, this is TOTALLY subjective! You replace tires yearly if you constantly pound on the car and launch from zero everyday. I've had a P85+ for three years on the same set of summer tires (Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s).

The only things that have been replaced under warranty were the moon roof seals

Yes, they had to fix my pano roof in my P85+ due to wind noise. It's a common repair and has a TSB, I believe.

. When I see the car in person I will ask for more details but I assume it's impossible to know history pre-CPO unless seller has had requested it back then

Pretty much. Some people have been able to sweet talk the SC associates into revealing the pre-CPO history.

And drivetrain is warrantied until 8y is over right?

Yes. Battery and motor -- 8 years, unlimited miles.

From your website I see this model has Ludicrous mode but can't confirm it based on the specs sheet they have (image attached). What is the 0-60 with Ludicrous mode on? Can't seem to find data anywhere on that 2013 P85+

Ludicrous mode is not available on P85+ or any other RWD car. It's available on a few P85D, P90Ds, and P100Ds. P85+ does not even have "Insane" mode. Those things all started with the dual-motor cars (unless hacked).

Lastly how do you schedule a Tesla inspection ? Just call service center??

Yup.

But CPO shows Orange County.. so maybe they moved to OC and sold to Tesla or Tesla moved the inventory to appear as OC? Just worried if it was driven in snow/rust belt..

The CPO location is just where the car ended up. Has no bearing on where it came from or was previously registered. If the CARFAX or other source says Missouri, that's probably accurate. But I wouldn't worry too much about a snow-belt car. These are different from ICE cars.

Reactions: Olds442
Hi guys
I've been shopping for a while for a Tesla and honing in on the lower range (approx 50k) for a used MS.

I found one nearby that I'm interested
2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Performance Plus Package - Carbon Fiber - Used Tesla Model S for sale in Trabuco Canyon, California | autoquid.com

They claim new was 120k, seems to have bought it CPO 2 years ago and almost 2 years of the transferrable warranty is remaining which makes it close to the 2y warranty CPO ones.

What are your thoughts? I wasn't looking for the P85+ in the first place but I like Red color and to have all the options doesn't hurt and mileage is low.

Seems like he's been trying to sell it on Ebay 3 times already and the highest he got was 47k.

Thanks!

Are you sure you don't want to pay a tiny bit more and get a P85D? That's what I'd do,

Here's a P85D with an asking price of $55K with a clean CarFax:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/741423969/overview/

Reactions: HankLloydRight