Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer Beware! Advice for Non-Running 2013 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post on this site and I would have liked to drop it in a Model S forum category, but none seemed to apply. If there is a better place, please let me know.

I recently started thinking about picking up an older Model S. I have owned several Toyota Prius cars and do needed repairs myself. There is a world of information out there for those cars. Owning a Tesla would be a new challenge that might be pretty rewarding.

I see a 2013 with 94k miles for sale locally for $11.5K. Great deal if it was running. Seller picked up at auction and said it ran fine until weather got colder, then it quit. He sent me diagnostic information from the center console and there are lots of low coolant warnings. He admitted to adding coolant himself in the few months he has had it. He told me it needs a replacement rear drive unit, but also says he doesn't know much about Teslas and has not done any diagnostics.

It looks like a nice car and I suspect it may have a bad seal in the drive unit. From what I have learned, that can be a $1000 repair to a $5000 replacement (my labor so that is parts only).

I typically buy cars at a low enough price that I can cover my losses with selling parts as a last resort. Not sure if this car qualifies.

I would be interested to hear from people on this site what strategy they would use to possibly take on a project like this. I would feel better about it if I thought that the rear drive could be salvaged and repaired for the $1000 in seals and bearings, but I fear that too much coolant might be in there.

Thanks for all responses.