Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nitrogen for tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember just a couple of decades ago how the thought of bottling water seemed like an idiotic idea??? Maybe you and I should look into going into the "Synthetice Aire" canning business?????

We can use the highest quality synthetic N2 and O2 in a patented blend for optimal performance and compatibility with traditional air!

I think we'd do better if we only sold painted air tanks. Customers would quickly learn how to refill the tanks our synthetice aire is shipped in. Skip to the end game and just sell the tanks painted with our logo. I have a small portable tank which is already in a Mobil-1-like silver/gray and have long thought of painting it in the style of a bottle of Mobil-1 oil, but of synthetic air.

We could also sell canteens of dehydrated water. "Instant water. Just add water!"

If you don't want to go with the helium idea I suggested earlier, the least you can do is to use correct air for the time of the year by using "seasonal air". It's the correct blend for summer, fall, winter or spring.

air.jpg

If O2 can pass through the tyre and N can't then as long as you keep your tyre topped up with air (which, of course, you should do anyway) the proportion of N inside the tyre, over time, is going to become higher and higher anyway. Or have I missed something? MW

Before the use of butyl rubber for tubeless liners, oxygen passed easily through the tire. You had to pump up the tires every day for the first month or so while the oxygen evacuated. The use of butyl became common during the 1960s. Unfortunately, many "facts" about tires apparently come from before then.

Of course, if there is damage to the tubeless liner from mounting, then the tire will no longer be oxygen tight.

Thanks for the info guys. Our minivan had the tire pressure warning come up recently and my wife called her father. He told her she shouldnt fill with oxygennd that she should only fill with nitrogen and had a long list of myths to support it. Thanks for the info. Makes sense and i am goi g to try and diplomatically explain this to him... I am sure the nissan dealership did a great sales job on him..

As someone with a fair chunk of Costco in my investment portfolio, I would be very slightly perturbed to think that company has wasted its money in supplying N2 generators in every one of its service bays. All Costco stores provide only nitrogen for their tire sites - and as big as Costco is, that has to be a helluva chunk of change for something that a number of you claim to be snake oil.

I tweak my home compressors to a 22% O2 level; it seems to keep my tools running optimally and my tires, too.

Is there a specific type of compressor I should be looking for if I want to use an in line dryer? How do I know what is compatible or are they all compatible?

They are basically all compatible. Use an oil-free one. The main differences in compressors are the sizes of the pump and the tank. For inflating tires and occasional air tool use just about any one will work.

- - - Updated - - -

As someone with a fair chunk of Costco in my investment portfolio, I would be very slightly perturbed to think that company has wasted its money in supplying N2 generators in every one of its service bays. All Costco stores provide only nitrogen for their tire sites - and as big as Costco is, that has to be a helluva chunk of change for something that a number of you claim to be snake oil.

Think of it as a kind of advertising to the uninformed. The way advertising works is that if you repeat a message enough times many people will believe it--especially if they don't have any expertise.

Remember just a couple of decades ago how the thought of bottling water seemed like an idiotic idea??? Maybe you and I should look into going into the "Synthetice Aire" canning business?????

It still is an idiotic idea especially for a country where clean drinking water is the norm (unless you're from WVA). And the environmental damage from all that plastic waste? Don't get me started.

I've been kinda worried, because the CO2 levels in my tires are at an all time high.
Not to worry. It allows them to heat up more quickly but there is insufficient scientific data to support further claims of what occurs to the atmosphere in the event of a blow-out.

Every now and then, I run across things in web forums that truly make me lol. Thanks for the chuckle to both of you. :)