Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New nitrogen filled tires riding very rough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tires are really a personal choice. There are many options because they optimize different things. Maybe you were not directed properly in your choice. Ultra-performance all season will be the best sporty traction you can get while still be all season (although they sacrifice some of that all season traction for performance). Noise and comfort are typically not important factors here.
Grand Touring tires are made for comfort while driving long distances *(e.g. touring). They sacrifice some performance to get more comfort and less noise. Typically.
Tire Rack has great serious reviews (not the user reviews) that help understand the tradeoffs of each option.

Tires are really a personal choice. There are many options because they optimize different things. Maybe you were not directed properly in your choice. Ultra-performance all season will be the best sporty traction you can get while still be all season (although they sacrifice some of that all season traction for performance). Noise and comfort are typically not important factors here.
Grand Touring tires are made for comfort while driving long distances *(e.g. touring). They sacrifice some performance to get more comfort and less noise. Typically.
Tire Rack has great serious reviews (not the user reviews) that help understand the tradeoffs of each option.
Ehhh too late now will play around adjusting PSI to get the comfort as near as it was before and just have to deal with the noise level nothing crazy like when I had A/T on a lifted jeep but still noticeable

Not many options at Costco either

Already at almost 30K miles drove it cross country so would say it’s pretty broken in.

Then it’s the shoddy susp. I’m riding 19” Comti ProContacts at 37/38 and in summer 20” Yoko Avid+ at 38/39.

Drove a highland 3 last week with 18’s and 44psi tester …and I have to say they nailed it with softening it up and absorbing the road imperfections. Lowering it to 40 would be even better.

More like…a normal car. 😐

Then it’s the shoddy susp. I’m riding 19” Comti ProContacts at 37/38 and in summer 20” Yoko Avid+ at 38/39.

Drove a highland 3 last week with 18’s and 44psi tester …and I have to say they nailed it with softening it up and absorbing the road imperfections. Lowering it to 40 would be even better.

More like…a normal car. 😐
It’s not it was riding fine before I changed the tires

Unfortunately between 35-36 PSI Tesla starts annoying with a warning. While 32 PSI or even some people say down to 20 PSI is still a valid pressure. The lower the pressure the better braking which is all what matters. I do not mind some percents of lower range as long as my car has not bumped into someone.
You can reset the warning threshold to whatever value you choose.

Could you suggest how? I believe when one resets the TPMS with low pressure it will still give the warning. I am abroad from my car so I will be able to test it only in a few months. One can set a type of tires so I can experiment whether some of the types do not have the minimum limit lower but that's all I think.
Set your PSI to the desired value with a gauge. On the menu:

Service>Manage Tire Pressure (upper left)>Learn new pressure

😎

35PSI may be adequate. I'd think that it may depend on the tire. I'm sure nothing bad will happen other than possibly uneven wear. I had an Infiniti Q50 hybrid that's almost 400 lbs. heavier than my SR+. It had a similar tire size. The recommended pressure was 36PSI. Maybe try that number?

38PSI is generally considered the minimum for a smoother ride. I run that except if I was going on a road trip. I would then up it to 40 - 42.