Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Leaf seems to contain so many standard features so that no one can be tempted to say it is a "substandard" car.
I'd amend that to say "no rational person". I've had many discussions with people who don't seem to understand why comparing a LEAF to a base model Yaris, or even a base model Prius, is not an accurate comparison. They keep trying to say no one will pay an extra $10-$15K for a limited range EV, and I keep trying to explain that a similarly equipped vehicle of similar size will already be north of $25K. Plus the fact that the person looking at a $15K vehicle is not in the market for a $30K vehicle, be it EV or ICE.

The Leaf has a lot of headroom. I have a tall torso and tend to just fit in many cars, but with the Leaf I seem to have about 4"+ extra room above. I bet a lot of 6'4" people could fit in one. People definately ask a lot more about the Leaf than they did with the old stealth Ranger.

Having fun with the "find new charging stations" feature of the Leaf NAV. Click that feature every couple of days and get excited when it says some new stations have been added. You can watch the J1772 rollout happen in near realtime.

But it is disappointing that they are all L2... Hoping to see L3s show up soon.

The new "Choose Nissan" commercial is driving me crazy. I'm not usually looking at the screen and the voiceover says, "...and Nissan is the only company with a car that uses no gas, at all. "

What?!! They can say that out loud?

The screen print says "mass produced" but Tesla, Mitsubishi, Think, etc. should send a joint letter to have them stop such chicanery.

Last edited:
The screen print says "mass produced" but Tesla, Mitsubishi, Think, etc. should send a joint letter to have them stop such chicanery.

Especially Mitsubishi who was out of the blocks way quicker with the their own mass-produced EV. I think the iMIEV qualifies as mass-produced as I see them everywhere and anybody who wants one can get one right away at any Mitsubishi dealer (in Japan anyway....) I have seen perhaps 10 Leafs on the road so far in Tokyo, and hundreds of iMIEVs.

One thing that I don't think anyone can debate though is that in addition to being the most practical EV on the road, the Leaf provides cost performance that will be extremely hard to match by the others. Being able to lose money on every car sold sure helps in this business!

Especially Mitsubishi who was out of the blocks way quicker with the their own mass-produced EV. I think the iMIEV qualifies as mass-produced as I see them everywhere and anybody who wants one can get one right away at any Mitsubishi dealer (in Japan anyway....) I have seen perhaps 10 Leafs on the road so far in Tokyo, and hundreds of iMIEVs.
"i" as it will be called in US, iMiEV is not available here. They will be available sometime next year. Looks like even though Mitsubishi was off the block first, they haven't been able to capitalize on that. Being financially in a bad shape (and rumored to close shop in the US every other year) is tough on them.

Mitsubishi i Electric Car | Mitsubishi i Electric Vehicle | Mitsubishi Motors

BTW, what exactly is the meaning of mass produced, anyway ? Does that mean complete automatic assembly line or is it based on production per year ?

As "Revenge of the Electric Car" is starting to be shown, we have in the USA just passed 1600 Roadsters, just passed 1600 Leafs, and just passed 1600 Volts.
[ The 3 "mass production" EVs featured in the film. ]
(Interesting confluence of timing, not completely coincidental.)

Does 1600 vehicles each constitute mass production?
Leaf and Volt have intentions to continue on into the hundreds of thousands in the next few years.

toyleaf.jpg