Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of these things is not like the other:
attachment.php?attachmentid=1728&stc=1&d=1303875644.jpg

Attachments

• leaftsla.jpg
    leaftsla.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 323
One mode/display in the Leaf dashboard shows estimated time to recharge based on how far from "full" you are at the moment.
I find that somewhat handy.
So you can quickly plan how long you might need to stay somewhere while recharging.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1673&d=1303625131.jpg

What's striking to me is how slow this charging rate is. At 240V, 2.5 hours to get ~25 mile charge.

What's striking to me is how slow this charging rate is. At 240V, 2.5 hours to get ~25 mile charge.

2.5 hours has to be for the complete charge, no? I'll definately try to take a ride in a LEAF taxi next time I see one drive by me... some taxi companies in Tokyo don't have the automated door, but rather the driver gets out of the car, opens the door for the passengers and helps them in the car, and then gets back in himself. Kind of a nice touch. Maybe that's what they are doing with the LEAF.

What's the LEAF current rate at 240V? Specs say the home charger needs a 40 amp circuit so continuous draw will be lower than that.

Thankfully most home J1772 is being installed as 30amp+ so that vehicles with 6.6kW charging can still use it. So the current Leaf offers sort of "half speed" charging, with the expectation that they will someday offer a 6.6kW version. I use an adapter to charge my 6.6kW RangerEV off of the same J1772 plug at home. I find that daily charge time for the Leaf (after my commute) isn't a whole lot longer than the RangerEV because the Leaf is a lot more efficient. Having both gives me new feeling for the importance of vehicle efficiency when considering how much charge rate is "adequate".
(You spend less timing charging if your vehicle uses less power... imagine that...)

What's the LEAF current rate at 240V? Specs say the home charger needs a 40 amp circuit so continuous draw will be lower than that.
My experience is that my LEAF draws a maximum of just over 16 amps at 240 volts and adds about 14 miles per hour of charge. It has been noted that the LEAF will draw a maximum of 12 amps at 120 volts which adds about 5 miles per hour of charge.

Anecdotal reports suggest it was a cost savings measure on the AC charger part of the car.
Reports of when/if they may upgrade it to 6.6kW are conflicting. Perhaps they don't want to encourage anyone to wait for a new/improved model?
I suppose for Japan market with so many DC quick charge stations, and lower amperage home 240V service, it made a lot of sense.
When trying to keep costs as low as possible on a "global" car model it seems we end up with some "lowest common denominator" decisions.
For North America it does seem annoyingly crippled. Hopefully someone provides a retrofit someday soon. It would be nice if Nissan did this gratis, but I am not holding my breath.

"It's like any other car, just smoother and more comfortable" This is what I try to convey to people who insist on comparing the LEAF and most EV's to the cheapest econobox on the market. EV's can potentially be quieter and smoother than many vehicles, including luxury vehicles that charge a premium for those features.

The Leaf seems to contain so many standard features so that no one can be tempted to say it is a "substandard" car.

Having touchscreen GPS/NAV/Traffic/Bluetooth/XM/CD/USB standard.
AC/Heat/PowerWindows/PowerBrakes/PowerSteering/DualRearViewMirrors/keyLessEntry...
LED headlights. Homelink. Auto-dimming rearview mirror. Rear wipers. Airbags all over. etc.
It even has the ability to adjust the headlight aim from inside the cabin.
It is a decent amount of car for the money even if you didn't consider that it is electric powered.

( You can get a"base" model which only omits things like foglights, back-up-camera, and the little solar panel gimmick on the back. )

Perhaps the biggest negative with the Leaf right now is the handling of the early USA orders. There are lots of people who signed up long ago, expecting to have their car by now, but are still waiting. (This was already a mess before the Earthquake/Tsunami which made the situation even worse.)

Last edited: