Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nice Bike Rack for the X....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided on the Yakima Full Tilt 5 rack and the HitchSki add on. We have three kids so I needed the option to carry five bikes, and in the winter, skis. Very well built bike rack, locks on to receiver (2 inch), and has built in (but defeatable) lock to secure the bikes or ski mount to the mast rack. Similar to the Thule Tram system. Went with Yakima as I have other Yakima racks that I like and wanted one key for all.

I decided on the Yakima Full Tilt 5 rack and the HitchSki add on. We have three kids so I needed the option to carry five bikes, and in the winter, skis. Very well built bike rack, locks on to receiver (2 inch), and has built in (but defeatable) lock to secure the bikes or ski mount to the mast rack. Similar to the Thule Tram system. Went with Yakima as I have other Yakima racks that I like and wanted one key for all.

Are you able to tilt the rack with bikes on to get access to the back? How hard is that?

Got the same rack as VanGogh, it's awesome! Bike goes on and off in less than a minute. Same for the bike rack itself!

Tilt for access to trunk:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Only issue I have (not with the rack) is that when putting in reverse, Model X detects the rack as an obstacle and constantly beeps a warning.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    366 KB · Views: 47
Great pics, @mulder1231. I love seeing a vehicle put to good use.

The deep trunk, combined with a picnic blanket, makes for a great way to store helmet, shoes, backpack, change of clothes, etc., and to put your dirty clothes and shoes afterwards--all while keeping the inside of the car clean. Simply lift out the blanket with all the dirty stuff when you get home!

Tesla beach towel to the rescue in case you want to change at the trail head and there are people around ;)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great pics, @mulder1231. I love seeing a vehicle put to good use.
As do I!

The deep trunk, combined with a picnic blanket, makes for a great way to store helmet, shoes, backpack, change of clothes, etc., and to put your dirty clothes and shoes afterwards--all while keeping the inside of the car clean. Simply lift out the blanket with all the dirty stuff when you get home!

Tesla beach towel to the rescue in case you want to change at the trail head and there are people around ;)

View attachment 171735

View attachment 171736
This is a great idea! That looks to be a pretty huge towel too. Perfect changing skirt!

Trying to sift through all the info here and from my DS, as I should be taking delivery within the next week or so. DS confirms my accessory hitch (no tow package) is 2" even though it was listed as 1.25" when I ordered the car. But he says the weight limit is 120 lbs. I want to be able to carry 4 bikes that weigh about 110-120 lbs total before you even add a rack. So does that make carrying 4 bikes impossible, rendering the hitch kind of useless for me? The rack I had been looking at is this Thule because it carries 4 bikes and will swing away from the trunk, but with its 42 lbs I'm up to 150-160 total lbs, as I assume I would be with the 1UP that started this string or any other rack:

Thule Vertex Swing Away 9031XT | Thule | USA

Help please?

The DS knows no more than we do. The 120 lbs. limit was for the (abandoned) 1.25" accessory hitch. So far, the 2" hitch receiver seems to be identical between Towing Package and not. And even if they end up being different, I don't think any 2" receiver has such a low limit.

If I were you, I'd take delivery first, unless there's a pressing need to carry bikes within the first few days of ownership. Take delivery, see if you have the "stealth" towing option (I bet you will), and then get after it. If, on the other hand, you take delivery and there is a label or documentation showing the 120 lb limit, then you can make other plans.

Risk is pretty low regardless, but this mitigates it.

Also, since I am doubtful Tesla will continue to produce the X with the stealth towing mode, I want to take this opportunity to once again voice my support for the $750 towing package. It costs as much as upgrading to a different interior trim, but it actually provides a lot of peace-of-mind utility. Just my opinion for future buyers reading this thread.