Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chuck Rack 4 (or 6!) bike rack for Model X - best option to avoid hitch mount overload?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Chuck Rack 4-bike rack is on sale for $699 (down from $899) - and I'm wondering if this is THE single best option for carrying 4-6 bikes on a Model X without overloading the hitch mount?

I currently have a 4-bike 1-Up rack - it worked great with my prior car, a Toyota Highlander, but since I got the Model X, I've been really nervous about using it for 3 or 4 bikes, because:
* The 1-Up rack is relatively heavy
* With 3 or 4 bikes, the rack extends a long way back from the hitch mount
* I've looked over other's math, and it sure seems like the hitch mount weight limit is overloaded at 3 bikes, and certainly overloaded with 4

The Chuck Rack carries bikes much closer to the Model X, so the lever arm is shorter, and the weight on the hitch mount is effectively lower. Also, the Chuck Rack is substantially lighter than the 1-Up (Chuck Rack is ~48 lbs for 4 bikes - I'm guessing my 1-Up is ~80 lbs for 4 bikes)

So... should I sell my 1-Up and buy a Chuck Rack instead?

Keep your 1up and get a different hitch. 1up and Kuat makes some of the best racks

There's no real confirmation that any brand hitch is any stronger with bike racks. The 120lbs limit comes from Tesla. OEM hitch is manufactured by Bosal who only specify the 500lbs tongue weight.

120lbs limit is likely a car limit, not hitch limit.

I have previously reached out to Tesla for clarification. Looks like they have now updated the user manual to the following:
The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 120 lbs (54 kg) when the load is cantilevered rearward within 24 inches (63 cm) of the hitch receiver, such as when carrying bikes on an accessory rack.
We can do some basic math. The hitch receiver is 8" long, therefore we have a total length of 32" (8" + 24"). Since we can have up to 120 lbs at 32", thats a total of 3,840 in/lbs (32" * 120lbs) of torque. Dividing 3,840 in/lbs by 8" gives us 480 lbs, which is very close to the tongue weight specification given by Bosal.

Your bikes would need to weight under 17" lbs each in order to make it work with the 1up Heavy Duty. That said, I used my 1up this weekend with 4 bikes (26 lbs, 24 lbs, 21 lbs, 21 lbs) on a 3 hrs road trip each way and had no trouble at all.

We can do some basic math. The hitch receiver is 8" long, therefore we have a total length of 32" (8" + 24"). Since we can have up to 120 lbs at 32", thats a total of 3,840 in/lbs (32" * 120lbs) of torque. Dividing 3,840 in/lbs by 8" gives us 480 lbs, which is very close to the tongue weight specification given by Bosal.

Hey thanks for this. This is a specification I can understand. Original statement "max 120lbs for bike rack" just doesn't make sense because it's missing the length.

Still it's a bit unclear what happens if you install a hitch with 750lbs or 1000lbs tongue weight. Can you multiply 120lbs with 1.5x and 2.0x respectively, or is 120lbs some chassis limitation (like flexing of the mounting points).. I assume most hitches are mounted exactly to the same bolts as OEM, or do they have extra support?

Given that the tongue weight is 350lbs for >=22" wheels and 500lbs for <22" wheels, I suspect that it has something to do with driving dynamics rather than hitch limitations.

That said, I have 22" wheels and drove with 4 bikes from NYC to Saratoga Springs, NY and back with no issues (aside from charging).

IMG_5387.jpg

Reactions: GasNah
There's no real confirmation that any brand hitch is any stronger with bike racks. The 120lbs limit comes from Tesla. OEM hitch is manufactured by Bosal who only specify the 500lbs tongue weight.

120lbs limit is likely a car limit, not hitch limit.
the 120lbs limit is the vertical tongue limit of the bosal hitch (using the hitch to pull something without wheels). 500 lb limit is total tongue weight when the trailer is supported with wheels.

Given that the tongue weight is 350lbs for >=22" wheels and 500lbs for <22" wheels, I suspect that it has something to do with driving dynamics rather than hitch limitations.

That said, I have 22" wheels and drove with 4 bikes from NYC to Saratoga Springs, NY and back with no issues (aside from charging).

View attachment 952927
Are all those bikes on the tow bar that comes with the car??

Or have you upgraded it?